Musescore 3.0 Fermata vs dots

Classical Guitar technique: studies, scales, arpeggios, theory
Forum rules
IV Laws governing the quotation/citation of music

For discussion of studies, scales, arpeggios and theory.
SteveL123

Musescore 3.0 Fermata vs dots

Post by SteveL123 » Tue May 07, 2019 2:53 pm

I downloaded a Musescore Bach Fugue that has a few errors in notes and timing (according to my ears), with the intent to edit the errors. I am new to Musescore and my knowledge of musical notation is that of a beginner.

Anyway, I came across multiple symbols above a note that I thought was a tie at first (it looks like a tie except it has a dot under it). After further investigation, I learned the symbol is a Fermata, not a tie.

Here's my question: Does a Fermata symbol alter the duration of a note in Musescore 3.0? If so, by how much?

One of the Fermata symbol was black, the other was gray. What is the difference?

Arion Romanus

Re: Musescore 3.0 Fermata vs dots

Post by Arion Romanus » Tue May 07, 2019 3:06 pm

Again, I'm using MuseScore 2 so it might be slightly different for you, but if you click on the fermata a bunch of options should appear in the "Inspector" window (on the right side of my screen, but if you don't see it you can activate it in the "view" menu on top). In the inspector there should be a option for "time stretch", which determines how much the note is extended during playback. I believe the default is set to "1.0" which means the note is not elongated at all, but you can change this if you want. 1.5 would make it one and a half times longer and so on. Since someone else made your score, they'll probably have changed the option somehow, so if you want the note to be of standard length, set it to "1.0".

As for the gray symbol, things in MuseScore turn gray when they are marked as invisible; this means that if you export the score to a PDF file, the symbol won't appear, the inspector window should also have a box marked "visible" which you can check/uncheck as you want. Alternatively, if you want a thing to actually appear gray on the final score, the inspector window also has a colour option where you can make things any colour you wish. This works for any symbol by the way, so you can make notes and other things invisible or different colours as well.

SteveL123

Post by SteveL123 » Wed May 08, 2019 5:48 pm

Thanks Arion! I have a lot to learn with Musescore! Fermata gives much finer control over note duration than the global tempo setting of the piece, so that it sounds like music rather than a robot! There are other ways to change the tempo of individual notes within a measure. I will be posting more questions on that later.

Arion Romanus

Post by Arion Romanus » Wed May 08, 2019 6:07 pm

Glad I could help!

SteveL123

Post by SteveL123 » Fri May 10, 2019 3:35 pm

I changed a few Fermata values in Musescore 3.0, exported it as .mxl file, then opened the .mxl file in Musescore 3.0 and noticed the Fermata values that I changed was not kept.

Is this is a problem with Musescore 3.0, or is it a problem with the .mxl file format which may not recognize Fermata's?

Arion Romanus

Post by Arion Romanus » Fri May 10, 2019 3:49 pm

I'm not at all familiar with the xml format (never used it); I suspect it has something to do with the format itself and not with MuseScore, but for these kinds of technical issues you'd probably have better luck getting good help from the MuseScore forums.

Return to “Classical Guitar technique”