Cold dry fingers before performance?

Classical Guitar technique: studies, scales, arpeggios, theory
Forum rules
IV Laws governing the quotation/citation of music

For discussion of studies, scales, arpeggios and theory.
Jon Reyes

Cold dry fingers before performance?

Post by Jon Reyes » Fri May 10, 2019 5:15 pm

Hello everyone!

So I notice that sometimes, my fingers gets really cold and dry prior to performances (especially on Winter time)

I have tried various method of repelling the cold; rubbing hands and fingers together, warming up hours before the performance, finger exercise, hand warmers, but to no avail.

Do you guys have any other tips that may help my finger problems prior to a performance?

Thanks ahead of time!
2018 Teodoro Perez “Estudio” SP/IN

Christopher Freitag

Re: Cold dry fingers before performance?

Post by Christopher Freitag » Fri May 10, 2019 8:22 pm

OK, it is going to sound silly but it works for me. It's something I learned in a workshop 40 years ago.

Sit or lie quietly with your hands at your sides. If you are sitting, let the arms hang loose.

Take a deep breath in through your nose. Now, exhale through your fingertips. That is, as you exhale, focus on your finger tips as if the air was leaving your body through the tips.

Do this several times and see if it helps. It works pretty reliably for me.
Chris Freitag

2013 German Vasquez Rubio Concert Special "Bernardi"; German spruce/Brazilian rosewood
2014 Garrett (Gary) Lee spruce/cedar double top; Brazilian rosewood

Steve Kutzer

Post by Steve Kutzer » Fri May 10, 2019 8:48 pm

I think that's a fight or flight response. You're under stress, so your body reacts like it's going to be attacked and moves blood away from extremities so you'll bleed more slowly.

I have heard of CGists using hot water bottles. There are also hand warmers that you activate by rubbing the packet together. Can be found in camping supply places.
See my technology (and guitar!) site CIO Dojo

CarmineDeMarco

Post by CarmineDeMarco » Sat May 11, 2019 1:17 am

If there's a bathroom available, a small portable hair blow dryer set to "hot". I used to try and put my hands in hot/warm water, but the blow dryer works great for me and is pretty fast-acting.

Rognvald

Post by Rognvald » Thu May 16, 2019 12:45 pm

You're living in the wrong part of the country, Jon. Get out before it's too late! Playing again . . . Rognvald
"And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music." Friedrich Nietzsche, Thus Spake Zarathustra

Return to “Classical Guitar technique”