wrist position relate to right hand

Classical Guitar technique: studies, scales, arpeggios, theory
Forum rules
IV Laws governing the quotation/citation of music

For discussion of studies, scales, arpeggios and theory.
detwidkul

wrist position relate to right hand

Post by detwidkul » Thu May 23, 2019 6:38 am

Hi

I have some problems about playing I M for 1st and 2nd string crossing and M I for 2nd and 1 st string. crossing. I have to adjust the wrist position a bit so the finger is more perpendicular to the string and less distance. so if possible I will try to avoid the use of the finger above and rearrange the fingering so I will not fall into the fingering above which tend to slow down and easier to make mistake.

Are there any good exercise for string crossing or any suggestion

thank you
need to practice more!

musikai

Re: wrist position relate to right hand

Post by musikai » Thu May 23, 2019 10:26 am

Adam del Monte suggests playing 3 notes on every string from high e to low e and back so you always have different string crossings. So you can eliminate the different feeling between both.
String Crossings.png
Rotate the hand a bit to the left so that the shorter i finger is closer to the string.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Free Sagreras Gitarrenschule PDF
Free Project: LibreOffice Songbook Architect (LOSA)
See website link

Todd Tipton
Teacher

Post by Todd Tipton » Mon May 27, 2019 5:28 pm

detwidkul wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 6:38 am
Hi

I have some problems about playing I M for 1st and 2nd string crossing and M I for 2nd and 1 st string. crossing. I have to adjust the wrist position a bit so the finger is more perpendicular to the string and less distance. so if possible I will try to avoid the use of the finger above and rearrange the fingering so I will not fall into the fingering above which tend to slow down and easier to make mistake.

Are there any good exercise for string crossing or any suggestion

thank you
First off, the Adam del Monte Musikai provided is a very good exercise. However if I am understanding your post, the exercises may not help you if you merely continue adjusting your wrist. You are correct that in real life you want to avoid or minimize more difficult string crossings. From the 2nd to the 1st string, i to m is better. And from the 1st to the 2nd string, m to i is better. However, this can't always be avoided. And the Monte exercise is very good IF (very big if) you practice it the correct way. You do not want to adjust your wrist to string cross!

Imagine a world of magic where the guitar could move instead of your fingers! The fingers could always stay exactly where they are, and the guitar did all the moving! Wouldn't that be wonderful? Well obviously, that isn't going to ever happen. But you can have the next best thing. Instead of moving from the wrist, you need to move your entire arm. Some teachers advocate moving from the elbow. Some teachers advocate moving from the shoulder or "rotator cuff" (Google that if you need to). Some teachers advocate both or combining the two. I am one of those teachers that advocate both movements because they each have their list of pros and cons. But regardless of specifics, you need to practice string crossing using the entire arm. And the Monte exercise Musikai provided is great for that.

Happy practicing! :D
Dr. Todd Tipton, Noda Guitar Studio
Charlotte, NC, USA (available via Skype)

detwidkul

Post by detwidkul » Tue May 28, 2019 8:16 am

Thank you very much for your suggestion, I will look into it.
need to practice more!

dhbailey52

Post by dhbailey52 » Wed May 29, 2019 10:00 am

I have found the example that musikai provided to be very helpful in my early days here with the classical guitar. I find that mentally I have a difficult time mentally making the fingers work as outlined in those exercises but as I work them more and more it's becoming easier, so perhaps you simply need to spend more time working on those examples slowly and carefully. I'm coming to the classical guitar from the steel-string guitar world and the method books I've seen for that sort of music shows that each finger (i m a) controls a single string. i on the G string, m on the B string, a on the high E string. So I'm having to break myself of that habit and get used to using those three fingers on whichever string they're required for. Right now I'm only working on the i and m fingers, but I know that soon I'll need to introduce using the a finger. One advantage of the exercises musikai provided is that they're the sort of thing we can just pick up the guitar and play, no need to have music on a stand, so when I find myself with a couple of minutes to spare I pick up the guitar and work at them.

Return to “Classical Guitar technique”