right wrist approach

Classical Guitar technique: studies, scales, arpeggios, theory
Forum rules
IV Laws governing the quotation/citation of music

For discussion of studies, scales, arpeggios and theory.
Todd Tipton
Teacher

Re: right wrist approach

Post by Todd Tipton » Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:50 pm

Please delete this! I am a mess today! Sorry! :D
Dr. Todd Tipton, Noda Guitar Studio
Charlotte, NC, USA (available via Skype)

Todd Tipton
Teacher

Post by Todd Tipton » Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:51 pm

delete

detwidkul

Post by detwidkul » Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:51 pm

Just to intro my background , I start to play classical guitar for 2 yrs and I decided to take proper online for a month already once a week with Alice, she does not say anything abt my right hand much but very focus on my left hand to get the palm especially the pinky area close to the frets as possible and let the fingers curve more to keep my left wrist not cup out, I always push my wrist out when it is hard stretching and some weird barre. I find it difficult at first to let the finger curve more and do the job instead of pushing the wrist out.

I do work on some aguado but for me it is difficult a lot of weird fingering and tempo.

I also take another online lesson with thu le, because i saw she play Bach 997 in the YouTube . She does put me into lobos stuff such as prelude no.2 which i still struggling to get the notes ring out clearly and not to lose the hand shape.

I am 42yrs old and just want to enjoy the guitar when I am at home, with kids and works guitar become the main thing at my free time.
need to practice more!

Todd Tipton
Teacher

Post by Todd Tipton » Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:52 pm

delete

Christopher Langley
Student of the online lessons

Post by Christopher Langley » Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:53 pm

double
Last edited by Christopher Langley on Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My Recordings

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLIXjqRtpseK-33zafCSUfVPpFWHgyh-LZ

Christopher Langley

Post by Christopher Langley » Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:53 pm

Todd Tipton wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:36 pm
Christopher Langley wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:20 pm
Todd Tipton wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:00 pm

+1
What is this even in response to? Me, I assume?

If I'm wrong and you are gonna take the energy to chime in and say so, the least you could do is say what I'm wrong about and try to correct me.
Please accept my humble and sincere apologies. Against my better judgment, I jumped on the "+1" bandwagon. Honestly? I think my posts are too long, I've seen many people participate with "+1" and I thought I would try to be cooler. I failed. Here is an example of where I tried the same trick: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=127897&p=1361803#p1361803 and hopefully didn't fail.

To try to answer your question succinctly though: the wrist should be aligned and the forearm should have an inward tilt promoting a closed hand position.

Again, I am sorry for my "+1" post.
No big deal, sorry I got kind of fussy, thanks for taking the time to respond and school me on what's what. :) GREATLY appreciated.

The inward forearm tilt and closed hand position is obviously what I'm lacking knowledge about.. any way you can think to try to help me understand what exactly you are talking about..

I assume rob has a more open hand? Because there is more space between thumb and fingers? anybody come to mind who I could maybe I watch to see a good example of a closed hand and the inward tilt?

It's probably something I am NOT doing, since I am so unaware of it.. Always learning here on delcamp! Thanks for taking the time to try to further explain Todd and thanks in advance if you continue to respond further. and thanks for all the positivity you threw my way, kinda helped turn my mood around :)

I'll experiment and look into this forearm rotation and closed hand business further, I trust you whole-hardheartedly, but it's so hard to grasp via text alone. I'd probably do best to just look a few videos of guys with truly proper technique. (There IS such a thing, right? For a while I thought there was room for variation.. but it's seeming less and less so the more I learn).
Last edited by Christopher Langley on Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
My Recordings

Tom Poore

Post by Tom Poore » Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:54 pm

From Christopher Langley’s video
I think either way is really okay. This way [deviated wrist] is obviously putting more tension on your wrist. But.., ah.., you know—up to personal preference.
Hard to believe someone can say this without realizing it makes no sense. If something “obviously” causes more tension, then why defend it? Absent a compelling justification, personal preference is a non sequitur. And if a teacher said this to a student, the student would be correct in seeing it as the evasion it truly is.

Tom Poore
South Euclid, OH
USA

Todd Tipton
Teacher

Post by Todd Tipton » Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:59 pm

Tom Poore wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:54 pm
I think either way is really okay. This way [deviated wrist] is obviously putting more tension on your wrist. But.., ah.., you know—up to personal preference.
Hard to believe someone can say this without realizing it makes no sense. If something “obviously” causes more tension, then why defend it? Absent a compelling justification, personal preference is a non sequitur. And if a teacher said this to a student, the student would be correct in seeing it as the evasion it truly is.

Tom Poore
South Euclid, OH
USA
Ah dude! I thought I just put the fire out! :lol:

Todd Tipton
Teacher

Post by Todd Tipton » Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:06 pm

Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:53 pm

The inward forearm tilt and closed hand position is obviously what I'm lacking knowledge about.. any way you can think to try to help me understand what exactly you are talking about..

I assume rob has a more open hand? Because there is more space between thumb and fingers? anybody come to mind who I could maybe I watch to see a good example of a closed hand and the inward tilt?
Take your right hand and pretend you are opening a door. If you turn clockwise, that is an outward tilt. This is an open hand position. If you turn counter-clockwise, that is an inward tild. This is a closed hand position. In both cases, the wrist is always aligned.

Happy Practicing!

p.s. It is good to see I am not the only one making accidental double posts today. :wink:

Todd Tipton
Teacher

Post by Todd Tipton » Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:09 pm

detwidkul wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:51 pm
I am 42yrs old and just want to enjoy the guitar when I am at home, with kids and works guitar become the main thing at my free time.
One of the simplest pieces of advice I ever got to improve my playing quickly: play much easier music, and play it very well!

Christopher Langley

Post by Christopher Langley » Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:12 pm

Tom Poore wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:54 pm

Tom Poore
South Euclid, OH
USA
I'm defending nothing. I now and always have played with a straight wrist. So, I have no horse in the race..

However, I'm not gonna tell someone they are wrong just for playing with a bent wrist because this causes ME tension. The tension is there but it feels mostly negligible to me. It's not a substantial amount and I've seen some people play very beautifully with a bent wrist, so if someone I was teaching got used to and wanted to play that way, and felt more comfortable for some reason, I wouldn't fight with them about it unless it was causing them noticeable problems.

Of course many people have chimed in and said otherwise... and that it would be best if it was to be addressed immediately to prevent the developing of problems down the road.. I see their point, but I think it's possible to see mine as well. The truth is, there is no telling whether or not OP would ever develop any problems playing like this, especially as an amateur playing is his free time. Does playing with a bent wrist add tension? Undoubtedly.. Is it STILL personal choice? You betcha.. People do all sorts of things that don't make sense, especially in the guitar world.

BTW I was stream of consciousness in that video.. Just talkin' man. But, I do still feel it is up to personal preference, although one way is easier mechanically speaking, I don't feel that alone is enough to make one way right and the other way wrong.. Many ways to skin a cat, yeah? I dunno :P
Last edited by Christopher Langley on Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:22 pm, edited 3 times in total.
My Recordings

Christopher Langley

Post by Christopher Langley » Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:14 pm

Todd Tipton wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:06 pm
Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:53 pm

Take your right hand and pretend you are opening a door. If you turn clockwise, that is an outward tilt. This is an open hand position. If you turn counter-clockwise, that is an inward tild. This is a closed hand position. In both cases, the wrist is always aligned.

Happy Practicing!

p.s. It is good to see I am not the only one making accidental double posts today. :wink:
Awesome, thank you so much Todd! Great example and explanation. I thought this was kinda what you meant.. but wasn't sure. Now I know exactly what you mean... I think I might also maybe need a bit of an arch in my wrist too (this sounds right, right?), glad to be surrounded by so many knowledgeable guitarists.. What an incredible resource.
My Recordings

Christopher Langley

Post by Christopher Langley » Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:17 pm

Todd Tipton wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:09 pm
detwidkul wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:51 pm
One of the simplest pieces of advice I ever got to improve my playing quickly: play much easier music, and play it very well!
+1

:P :evil: :bye: :desole:

So accurate. Deserves a plus ONE :)

Wish there was a way to thumbs up posts.. People should get credit and acknowledgement for making good posts!
My Recordings

Return to “Classical Guitar technique”