Are these difficult chord changes?

Classical Guitar technique: studies, scales, arpeggios, theory
Forum rules
IV Laws governing the quotation/citation of music

For discussion of studies, scales, arpeggios and theory.
SteveL123

Re: Are these difficult chord changes?

Post by SteveL123 » Sat Jun 22, 2019 1:38 am

Tony Hyman wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 11:19 am
Do whatever it takes to get the job done. :D :D
+1 :D So I've been working on this and am now able to play these measures at around 95 bpm while keeping tempo. Musescore has been a great help for me in learning this piece. It has speed control so I can slow it down, it has a metronome to keep time, it can set loops so I can work on specific parts that I have trouble with, It plays the note if I click on it, It can annotate clearly the fingerings on my 27" iMac (much clearer than on paper) that I just figured out, it can add chord symbols...... I am sure there are lot's of other features that I've not come across yet. I've memorized all the parts needed to put the piece together. What a fun piece to play!

Do I need to know the name of these chords? I looked up the first chord using https://jguitar.com/chordname?string5=5 ... &string0=x and it has 2

A Minor 7th
G/A Suspended 2nd Suspended 4th

Which is the more correct one?

I looked up the others too and some have 3 or more chord names.

SteveL123

Post by SteveL123 » Sat Jun 22, 2019 1:49 am

dtoh wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 4:10 pm
..........When you sight read you don't figure out where each finger goes in a chord, you just recognize the chord (hopefully a few beats before you actually need to play it) and then you just play it.......................
That kinda makes sense, but I can't imagine how to actually recognize the chord on the staff.

dtoh

Post by dtoh » Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:25 am

SteveL123 wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 1:49 am
dtoh wrote:
..........When you sight read you don't figure out where each finger goes in a chord, you just recognize the chord (hopefully a few beats before you actually need to play it) and then you just play it.......................
That kinda makes sense, but I can't imagine how to actually recognize the chord on the staff.
I think it just kind of comes naturally with time and practice. Just like recognizing words in a sentence without having to spell them out.

mike.janel

Post by mike.janel » Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:06 am

No way I could sight read this.
Almost every chord change involves a shift, but the chord shapes are not hard. It would not be hard for me to memorise and develop fingers memory.
The tempo is quite high, so it would take a while to build it up.
For my level this would overall be on the mid-hard side.
Michael
-----------------------------------------------
2015 Dan Kellaway (Spruce - fan braced)
2013 Amalio Burguet 3M (Cedar)
1989 Yamaha CG 110 (Spruce)

Tony Hyman

Post by Tony Hyman » Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:26 am

SteveL123 wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 1:38 am
Tony Hyman wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 11:19 am
Do whatever it takes to get the job done. :D :D
+1 :D So I've been working on this and am now able to play these measures at around 95 bpm while keeping tempo. Musescore has been a great help for me in learning this piece. It has speed control so I can slow it down, it has a metronome to keep time, it can set loops so I can work on specific parts that I have trouble with, It plays the note if I click on it, It can annotate clearly the fingerings on my 27" iMac (much clearer than on paper) that I just figured out, it can add chord symbols...... I am sure there are lot's of other features that I've not come across yet. I've memorized all the parts needed to put the piece together. What a fun piece to play!

Do I need to know the name of these chords? I looked up the first chord using https://jguitar.com/chordname?string5=5 ... &string0=x and it has 2

A Minor 7th
G/A Suspended 2nd Suspended 4th

Which is the more correct one?

I looked up the others too and some have 3 or more chord names.
I am happy for you Steve .Yes, regarding chordal names or nomenclature as it is also called,I think its ideal to get used to both methods i.e. the actual notation whether broken or stacked , as well as the chords actually written out.As far as the actual names are concerned we will just have to be led by its "resolution" as Sor asserts in his "Method".For eg when is it an aug 6th or a usual 7th chord?The 9th Chord could also be a m7b5 or a m6th. Of course there is a lot more to it , but I am sure you will discover more as you go along as most of us do,if I may say hopefully,without fear of generalization.

SteveL123

Post by SteveL123 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:15 pm

dtoh wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:25 am
SteveL123 wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 1:49 am
dtoh wrote:
I think it just kind of comes naturally with time and practice. Just like recognizing words in a sentence without having to spell them out.
Is that really how it's done? I'd like to hear from those who can sight read these chords and explain the process that they go through in their mind.
Last edited by SteveL123 on Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SteveL123

Post by SteveL123 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:27 pm

mike.janel wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:06 am
No way I could sight read this.
Almost every chord change involves a shift, but the chord shapes are not hard. It would not be hard for me to memorise and develop fingers memory.
The tempo is quite high, so it would take a while to build it up.
For my level this would overall be on the mid-hard side.
Yeah, those chords are not in my repertoire of chords I am used to playing. Plus having to hit a bass note in quick succession of hitting the chord adds another challenge. Muscle memory is definitely a factor.

As for difficulty level, you may be surprised. It's a lot easier than the Bach fugue BWV 1001. The rhythm is more difficult but the left hand flows much nicer than the Bach Fugue, which was not written for the guitar like Porro was. You may want to give it a try!

Return to “Classical Guitar technique”