You know all those right hand technique rules? fuggedaboutit!

Classical Guitar technique: studies, scales, arpeggios, theory
Forum rules
IV Laws governing the quotation/citation of music

For discussion of studies, scales, arpeggios and theory.
soltirefa

You know all those right hand technique rules? fuggedaboutit!

Post by soltirefa » Sun Jun 16, 2019 11:41 pm

Terpfan

Re: You know all those right hand technique rules? fuggedaboutit!

Post by Terpfan » Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:47 am

If you are Judicael Perroy. For most of us rules apply. He know what he is doing. I am more impressed with his left hand and his influence on his students.

Rognvald

Post by Rognvald » Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:26 pm

Wow! Who cares what his hands are doing. He is a magical player with a warm, rich sound and beautiful, deep personal expression. Thanks, Solti for sharing this great performance. Playing again . . . Rognvald
"And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music." Friedrich Nietzsche, Thus Spake Zarathustra

SteveL123

Post by SteveL123 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:51 am

It's the French school of guitar playing? In a Tonebase video, Thomas Viloteau says he still repeat with the same plucking finger in some situations since that's how he learned to play (on his own) when he was young, using one finger.

barcod

Post by barcod » Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:18 am

Those nails though...

Mark Clifton-Gaultier

Post by Mark Clifton-Gaultier » Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:34 pm

barcod wrote:Those nails though...
Not unlike those of a friend of mine ... who's capable of producing the most exquisite and delicate controlled sweetness or furiously explosive exclamations ... sometimes simultaneously. I really don't know quite how he achieves it.
nails.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Mark Clifton-Gaultier on Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Terpfan

Post by Terpfan » Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:15 pm

SteveL123 wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:51 am
It's the French school of guitar playing? In a Tonebase video, Thomas Viloteau says he still repeat with the same plucking finger in some situations since that's how he learned to play (on his own) when he was young, using one finger.
Repeating finger is fine and sometimes inevitable. However it will creates more tension and more prone to mistakes. You have to know your limitation..

Christopher Langley
Student of the online lessons

Post by Christopher Langley » Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:41 pm

Mark Clifton-Gaultier wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:34 pm
barcod wrote:Those nails though...
Not unlike those of a friend of mine ... who's capable of producing the most exquisite and delicate controlled sweetness or furiously explosive exclamations ... sometimes simultaneously I really don't know quite how he achieves it.
nails.png
They have very rounded fingertips, so the nail must extend out pretty far to even start touching.

I have these kind of thicker fingertips and weak nails.. So I play flesh.. I actually get a pretty decent tone too. I think maybe those with thinner, more narrow fingertips need nails a little bit more to add some oomph. They can also more easily make use of them without having to grow nails quite long, as pictured.

If my nails were strong or I could afford fakes, I would use them. But honestly.. It's shocking how good flesh can sound on its own, if you have substantial fingertips, it's quite good. Good enough for me.

Oh I think it also depends on where your nail bed starts.

I guess as a flesh player I shouldn't chime in. But, i do think I'm right. If not, apologies.

Imagine a fat fingertip being pressed down. It fills in a lot of that nail area. His nails probabaly don't catch at all despite looking like they might. Also a lot of his tone might come from the flesh of his tips in addition to the nail. Unless I totally misunderstand how people play with nails.
Studying Jazz and Blues now.. So it goes friends. I might make a return to Classical at some point.

Desperado

Post by Desperado » Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:01 am

I like the left hand thumb technique at the 'big' stretch. Sure is the way to avoid an injury when practising/playing this piece.

Luis_Br

Post by Luis_Br » Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:44 pm

He is a great player, but I miss the vibratos the same as if you play Couperin without ornaments.

Return to “Classical Guitar technique”