I like these finger independence exercises

Classical Guitar technique: studies, scales, arpeggios, theory
Forum rules
IV Laws governing the quotation/citation of music

For discussion of studies, scales, arpeggios and theory.
soltirefa

I like these finger independence exercises

Post by soltirefa » Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:29 pm

These finger independence exercises seem sensible and effective.

Luis_Br

Re: I like these finger independence exercises

Post by Luis_Br » Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:49 pm

I also like them.
Last edited by Luis_Br on Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Terpfan

Post by Terpfan » Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:20 am

Looks like Carlevaro exercise.

dtoh

Post by dtoh » Sat Jun 29, 2019 2:08 am

I used these exercises and quite a few variations in the past. Not so much recently. They are very good, but it's a lot of work (many years) to really develop independence in the LH fingers. You'll notice in the video that even Allen has some difficulty getting his a finger (LH) on the fret.

Rognvald

Post by Rognvald » Sat Jun 29, 2019 2:41 pm

Solti,
I do something similar with octave alternations moving chromatically up from low E 1st position to high E 12th position. I also use "pull-offs" for finger independence. Great exercises. Playing again . . . Rognvald
"And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music." Friedrich Nietzsche, Thus Spake Zarathustra

Luis_Br

Post by Luis_Br » Sun Jun 30, 2019 7:18 pm

Rognvald wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 2:41 pm
Solti,
I do something similar with octave alternations moving chromatically up from low E 1st position to high E 12th position. I also use "pull-offs" for finger independence. Great exercises. Playing again . . . Rognvald
The advantage of the exercise in this topic, is that it breaks down into two different actions: pressing and moving finger to position. This enable better focus in solving each specific issue and detaching further the muscle dissociation control and kinaesthetic perception of the movements. I like and create several similar exercises which focus specific movements and I consider "action studies". I adopted this name and was influenced by the famous methodology with this same name, created in violin practice since the 70s.

Nikos_Greek

Post by Nikos_Greek » Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:03 am

Finger Independence exercises are the quintessential practice of cg, in my opinion more important than scales. When correctly executed they foster strength and Endurance to RH fingers (apart from Independence, of Course). Because they are strenuous in the Long run they also facilitate smoothness and lightness as far as RH playing is concerned. These are good exercises, but the most comprehensive book on vertical exefrcises (LH Independence) is written by Evangelos Boudounis. It comprises 11 Groups of LH exercices with hundreds of variations. I manage to go through the material in About 2 years, then go back and start again, Setting other criteria each time. This book alone has catapulted me from a beginner to an upper-intermediate Player. One can Google Nakas Publishing Company and the title is Boudounis Vertical Exercises. It is a good test for your Patience as well...

Rognvald

Post by Rognvald » Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:10 pm

Luis_Br wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 7:18 pm
Rognvald wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 2:41 pm
Solti,
The advantage of the exercise in this topic, is that it breaks down into two different actions: pressing and moving finger to position. This enable better focus in solving each specific issue and detaching further the muscle dissociation control and kinaesthetic perception of the movements. I like and create several similar exercises which focus specific movements and I consider "action studies". I adopted this name and was influenced by the famous methodology with this same name, created in violin practice since the 70s.
Thanks for the reply, Luis. Perhaps I'll take another look at the video again and reconsider these exercises. Playing again . . . Rognvald
"And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music." Friedrich Nietzsche, Thus Spake Zarathustra

epiphone

Post by epiphone » Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:37 pm

Helpful and well explained.

Carlos

Post by Carlos » Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:59 pm

Interesting indeed, thank you for sharing!

Bill-stl

Post by Bill-stl » Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:02 pm

At what level/grade should a student try these exersizes? I have tried them and struggled, if not impossible. I am at grade two. As with all new material, I would assume it gets better as you practice.
Esteve Fernandez Valencia

soltirefa

Post by soltirefa » Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:32 am

Bill-stl wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:02 pm
At what level/grade should a student try these exersizes? I have tried them and struggled, if not impossible. I am at grade two. As with all new material, I would assume it gets better as you practice.
I'm no expert, but they get progressively more difficult. I would say just do the first ones where you're using one finger. Skip the two-finger ones that come later.

Bill-stl

Post by Bill-stl » Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:35 am

That makes sense😃. It's the alternating strings that gets me, so I need to work on that. My reach isn't great. One of the conundrums about learning is that you are always progressing to things you don't know. It can be frustrating if you don't stop and look back at where you were yesterday, late week, last month!

closet guitarist

Post by closet guitarist » Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:45 am

I would also suggest a double chromatic scale starting on the low E leaving the fingers in place until needed.

Bill-stl

Post by Bill-stl » Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:38 pm

I do an exercise where I start at the fifth fret, low E, play down leaving each finger planted, then going to next string, repeat up to high E. Back down to low E, then up to 4th feet and repeat all the way to first position. I like the gradual stretch and concentrate on placing my fingers as close to the fret at possible, which is one of my problems when playing. Picked it up from Simon Powis at Classical Guitar Corner Academy.

Return to “Classical Guitar technique”