Thoughts on these right hand videos?

Classical Guitar technique: studies, scales, arpeggios, theory
Forum rules
IV Laws governing the quotation/citation of music

For discussion of studies, scales, arpeggios and theory.
lacatedral

Thoughts on these right hand videos?

Post by lacatedral » Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:21 pm

The first one is an excerpt from Asturias (Segovia's arrangement), the "pseudo tremolo" section. It was played just as an example.
You can see the p-m-i p-m-i pattern, ring finger is anchored to the first string. It was recorded with a phone with slow-mo function. So first you will see it at normal speed, then at slower speed.

The second one is a formula from Carlevaro's second book. Same logic as above concerning recording.

I'd like opinions on hand position, use of joints, follow through, etc...Thanks

Terpfan

Re: Thoughts on these right hand videos?

Post by Terpfan » Thu Jul 04, 2019 1:04 am

For me, looking it at a normal speed might be more informative. It is important to hear the quality of the sound also.

lacatedral

Post by lacatedral » Thu Jul 04, 2019 2:47 am

Terpfan wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 1:04 am
For me, looking it at a normal speed might be more informative. It is important to hear the quality of the sound also.

Here, the same videos at normal speed:

Asturias excerpt:

A Carlevaro formula:

Terpfan

Post by Terpfan » Thu Jul 04, 2019 5:05 am

Although many here might disagree, I think sequencing arpeggio is more efficient than pluck and release. However, you are getting a good articulation

Alexander Kalil

Post by Alexander Kalil » Thu Jul 04, 2019 12:00 pm

Excellent RH technique! A man after my own heart :D.

Only thing I might want to 'correct' is your a finger being held in after its pluck. I recommend training a to release all flexion energy immediately after the flexion impulse, which is what you're doing so well with i and m. Note that this, in and of itself, may or may not cause a to physically return to playing position immediately, depending on the situation. As always with technique, the feel in the hand is more important than the look.

That said, many people are getting good results with holding a in and treating the am complex as a single big finger, as you're currently doing. So if you're experiencing no problems whatsoever, then maybe you should ignore my suggestion above.

Terpfan

Post by Terpfan » Thu Jul 04, 2019 2:08 pm

imami arpeggio

CountDiego

Post by CountDiego » Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:01 pm

I think that person has a good solid right hand technique. Probably it would be nice to warm up a little bit before trying to play Asturias. You can listen to his recording of the piece in the recorings subforums!

Cheers mate!

Return to “Classical Guitar technique”