learning new piece

Classical Guitar technique: studies, scales, arpeggios, theory
Forum rules
IV Laws governing the quotation/citation of music

For discussion of studies, scales, arpeggios and theory.
detwidkul

learning new piece

Post by detwidkul » Fri Jul 05, 2019 9:33 am

Hi all

every time when I learn new piece, It is always awkward at first no matter how easy fingering the piece is , there is always rooms to improve in other aspects as well as to memorize them

after 1 hr practice to get through the note, I try to make the rhythm 1 41 41 41 41 and so on , it does give different perspective in the fingering especially with 41 41 41 41 , it is more awkward this way for me. but It really does help after a while when back to play in standard rhythm.

I guess the brain has to do more job than usual as well as the fingering.
need to practice more!

Contreras

Re: learning new piece

Post by Contreras » Fri Jul 05, 2019 10:09 am

It is a little bit hard to focus on exactly what you are getting at ... I am a 'by ear' player so my approach is to know the tune before I start to learn it. Not that I can't read well enough, but
this has the advantage of not spending time on music that doesn't appeal. This seems obvious ... why would I want to play music I don't like?
Once I know the tune I can quickly get it 'under my fingers', and then I can start to refine the fingering as I practice it. There may be (almost certainly will be) many refinements to the fingering before I am practicing a final version. Thus I am not 'locked into' a final version until I'm satisfied it's as good as I can get it. Even then I may change the right hand.

Long story short, for me learning a new piece is knowing the tune and getting it onto the guitar ... polishing is a work in progress, what musicianship is all about.
1929 Francisco Simplicio
1997 Manuel Contreras Doble tapa

Return to “Classical Guitar technique”