Pieces for practising tremolo technique?

Classical Guitar technique: studies, scales, arpeggios, theory
Forum rules
IV Laws governing the quotation/citation of music

For discussion of studies, scales, arpeggios and theory.
f_r_a_n

Pieces for practising tremolo technique?

Post by f_r_a_n » Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:06 pm

Hello,

Can anyone recommend some good pieces for practising tremolos? I'm keen to get my use of RH ring finger a little smoother and thought this might be helpful.

Thanks!

paskin

Re: Pieces for practising tremolo technique?

Post by paskin » Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:24 pm

I've really enjoyed training my technique using Vladimir Bobri's book, The Complete Study of Tremolo for the Classic Guitar.

Conall

Post by Conall » Mon Jul 15, 2019 6:13 pm

Hi Fran,

I have some moderately easy tremolo studies I've arranged & use for my pupils. See:

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=122206
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=122218
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=122248

f_r_a_n

Post by f_r_a_n » Mon Jul 15, 2019 6:41 pm

Ah great. The Bobri book certainly looks a good resource. And Conall, thanks for those links to the studies you've arranged. I've been playing the first and will persevere to try to smooth out those notes.

Crofty

Post by Crofty » Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:42 pm

f_r_a_n wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:06 pm
Hello,

Can anyone recommend some good pieces for practising tremolos? I'm keen to get my use of RH ring finger a little smoother and thought this might be helpful.

Thanks!
If you don't already have an integrated rh technique then, however simple, tremolo pieces are the last thing you need to develop one.

I would advise a circular sequence of alternations such as: imim/iaia/mama/mimi/aiai and amam.

You need to work with a metronome [set it slower than you need to and base the tempo on the am type alternations, assuming that you find these the more difficult.

Open strings initially, then chromatic scales followed by diatonic. Observe, VERY carefully, whether your fingers move in similar, controlled arcs and whether they produce identical volume and tone.

Only when you are happy with the above should you try to increase tempo. I then suggest going on to both ami and ima alternation. if you can make that work across the beat [Amia/Miam/Iami] that would then indicate growing security.

As always, in any skill development, the old adage, "don't try to run before you can walk" is a very good one.

One problem that less experienced players don't take into account, and are not always advised about, is that using the a finger as part of occasional, cross-string, arpeggio type playing, is no preparation for consistently using am and i on the SAME string. The feel is entirely different.

f_r_a_n

Post by f_r_a_n » Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:45 pm

Hi Crofty,
Thanks for such a detailed response.
It is particularly for improving fluency when playing consistently on the same string as in tremolos rather than arpeggio-style playing that I was asking. I agree with you that the two do feel very different! That being said, I could certainly spend some more time focusing on RH technique generally too and the method you've outlined seems a good systematic approach for this.

Crofty

Post by Crofty » Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:30 pm

f_r_a_n wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:45 pm
Hi Crofty,
I could certainly spend some more time focusing on RH technique generally too and the method you've outlined seems a good systematic approach for this.
Thanks for the response and I can guarantee that it really is. Even after quite a few decades teaching and performing I still notice a difference in the efficiency and, particularly, the evenness of my rh fingers when I revert to the exercises I briefly outlined. Even being able to move seamlessly through the various rh combinations, at a set tempo, is quite a challenge at first.

As so many things with cg the possibilities are almost endless in terms of permutations and adding difficulties as you progress.

Good luck with it anyway.

Paul

souldier

Post by souldier » Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:51 pm

I think a really good piece for working on tremolo is Spanish Romance or Romance de Amor. I think it is ideal because this piece is a classic that most people enjoy, is not too difficult, and can be played normally or as a tremolo piece, so you can easily get an idea on how the timing works and such.
"Success grants its rewards to a few, but is the dream of the multitudes.
Excellence is available to all, but is accepted only by a few." - Christopher Parkening

f_r_a_n

Post by f_r_a_n » Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:54 am

I hadn't heard Spanish Romance played as a tremolo piece before but googled after your suggestion and it's lovely. I've played it a lot arpeggiated so will be good to try it in a new way too.

zaizai

Post by zaizai » Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:49 pm

Carcassi op60, No2.

I'm playing it at 40 bpm. I wish I could play at 60 bpm, then I would pick another opus.

f_r_a_n

Post by f_r_a_n » Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:42 pm

Ah great, yes. The Carcassi looks good for this. Thanks for the recommendation.

Bernhard Heimann

Post by Bernhard Heimann » Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:25 pm

Sagreras, Las Terceras Lecciones, no. 4, to be found here:
https://www.guitarraclasicadelcamp.com/ ... reras.html

Return to “Classical Guitar technique”