Mechanical metronome with bell for CG?

Classical Guitar technique: studies, scales, arpeggios, theory
Forum rules
IV Laws governing the quotation/citation of music

For discussion of studies, scales, arpeggios and theory.
joachim33

Mechanical metronome with bell for CG?

Post by joachim33 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:08 pm

How useful is a mechanical metronome with bell for CG practice. To me, being able to select a beat pattern (e.g. emphasis on 1 in 4) on my electronic metronome (or iPhone app) is useful. It allows me to check whether I missed or added a beat when practicing a difficult passage. However I prefer a mechanical metronome to the electronic guys.

My current pendulum metronome doesn’t have a bell and I am wondering whether to get one with a bell). However a bell does make a real tone that might interfere with the music (e.g. dissonances). These bells can ring for quite some time.

Anyone regularly using a metronome with bell? Does it work with practicing CG or are you disengaging the bell most of the time, because of e.g. dissonance?

es335

Re: Mechanical metronome with bell for CG?

Post by es335 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:47 am

Haven’t used a mechanical metronome for a long time but used it extensively in the past, the wooden pyramid. Can’t recall any acoustic interferences with my classical guitar. But as there is no volume control like their electronic counterparts do have you will have to experiment where the position of the metronome. :wink: :D

joachim33

Post by joachim33 » Thu Jul 18, 2019 4:49 am

Thanks for the input. Mechanical Metronomes seem not the most popular these days.

I have and use a mechanical Wittner Piccolo. I find the volume very good for CG but the Piccolo doesn’t have a way to mark out specific beats. I was about to order a Wittner with bell, but then decided against and cancelled the order. Only the larger Wittners can be ordered with a bell.

Rognvald

Post by Rognvald » Wed Jul 24, 2019 4:29 pm

joachim33 wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 4:49 am
Thanks for the input. Mechanical Metronomes seem not the most popular these days.

I have and use a mechanical Wittner Piccolo. I find the volume very good for CG but the Piccolo doesn’t have a way to mark out specific beats. I was about to order a Wittner with bell, but then decided against and cancelled the order. Only the larger Wittners can be ordered with a bell.

Hi, J,
My old mechanical Wittner is 47 years old and finally crashed last year. I use a digital now but loved fussing with the old machine. Playing again . . . Rognvald
"And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music." Friedrich Nietzsche, Thus Spake Zarathustra

Return to “Classical Guitar technique”