I am looking for good guitar books for me, please help!

Classical Guitar technique: studies, scales, arpeggios, theory
Forum rules
IV Laws governing the quotation/citation of music

For discussion of studies, scales, arpeggios and theory.
Jjes1971

Re: I am looking for good guitar books for me, please help!

Post by Jjes1971 » Wed Feb 27, 2019 3:05 am

I’ve been thinking about getting a music theory book from a guitarists perspective since most is centered around piano. There is a guitar theory book by Tom Kolb that has several hundred positive reviews. Not sure which Aaron Shearer method book is best for starting out in classical guitar. I see that Shearer has several method books. Shearer books such as Guitar Technique series published by Alfred, then a series of books published by MelBay, and finally I see a Guitar Foundations series. I would like to know three good books on guitar music theory and which Shearer method is best for a new classical guitar beginner.

Karen

Post by Karen » Wed Feb 27, 2019 2:52 pm

The Foundation Book is the newest one. I bought it accidentally when I started my lessons and I was very glad my teacher said it was the wrong one. The approach totally turned me off, which is just an individual thing and not meant to put the book down. It may very well work for others. The book my teacher wanted me to buy was the Technique book, I believe the oldest one of the series, although it wasn’t the oldest edition. It has a totally different approach from the Foundation book. However, it, too, is a little annoying as Shearer harps on with a lot of “thou shalts”. But used with a teacher the music works in a very elementary and progressive manner. I noticed my teacher modified some of the “thou shalts” so if using the book on your own use common sense to dilute some of the black and white advice. When I got past the first half of the book my teacher started giving me music from the RCM Preparatory book as well. The Shearer book is a little unexciting, but a good resource.
The first book is how to play, mostly working on right hand development. The second book gets into music theory. It looks very wordy. I have it but so far my teacher has not started using it. Maybe because I told him I don’t like the book. It is printed very poorly and my old eyes have trouble with the unclear print. I have a piano book for adult learners that explains elementary theory much more clearly so maybe that is why so many are centred around piano. It’s easier to visualize. I didn’t think the first Technique book would be good until I spent a year with the thing and discovered what it could do for me. The same might or might not be true for the second book. It seems to be a good resource but I wouldn’t want it to be my only one.

Mickmac

Post by Mickmac » Wed Feb 27, 2019 3:38 pm

I recommend Frederick Noad's books Solo Guitar Playing 1 and 2.

SleepyheadRooster

Post by SleepyheadRooster » Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:48 pm

You already have a teacher. I don’t think you need Shearer or Noad. Your teacher will give you technique, and a lot of younger guitarists are using more modern technique anyway.

You asked about reading and theory sorts of things. You already have some knowledge of pop and rock? It’s the same music theory. You probably already have some foundation.

Maybe get the Leavitt Berklee Modern Guitar Method and/or the Mel Bay Modern Guitar Method. Those aren’t classical guitar books, but there is no reason at all you can’t use classical technique to work in those books, and you will find a lot more sight reading in those books than most of the other books mentioned. After that, just getting easier classical anthologies will be good after you have done the first twenty or so pages in the Mel Bay and/or Berklee books.

You might also pick up a book on basic music theory. Hopefully your teacher understands theory enough to help you. Good luck!
Best,
Chuck

Henny

Post by Henny » Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:04 am

I am since 2 years studying online with great satisfaction.
check this website and you can use already lots of material
and find also guitar facebook friends and a classical guitar community world wide.
[Mod edit - commercial link removed: search for Classical Guitar Corner]

regards,
Henny

Fudd

Post by Fudd » Sat Mar 30, 2019 5:02 am

These are all very helpful suggestions for me as well. Thank you to all for sharing!

Sankie

Post by Sankie » Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:34 pm

harmox wrote:
Mon May 11, 2015 8:01 am
Theory: J. Duarte - Melody and Harmony for guitarists
Training: R. Provost - Art & Technique of practice

For sight-reading - I'd recommend to get graded antology and just play through it everyday. Actually, to improve sight-reading you just need to sight-read everything, so there's not much advice, get any sheet music and sight-read it.
Thanks for the information!
Ramirez 4ne 2016
Andrea Tacchi Coclea Tuchea 2015
Ramirez 1a 2018
Jean Noel Rohe 2014

Return to “Classical Guitar technique”