2018-09-21 James Boyd Norwich (UK)

muirtan

2018-09-21 James Boyd Norwich (UK)

Post by muirtan » Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:53 am

Friday 21 September
Mangreen Light Centre Sanctuary
7pm

STOLEN YEARS

The story of the yacht Concord of Mersea, built in a Suffolk boatyard in 1937.

Renowned Concert guitarist James Boyd has brought her story to life in
Stolen Years - a poetic and musical window onto a lost world, touched by the shadow of war

Extracts from Concord’s original logbooks provide the framework for this concert, with music ranging from lute fantasias of John Dowland to traditional music and sea songs,
along with poetry by Auden, Louis MacNeice and Philip Larkin.
…………………………………………………………………………………
Praise for James Boyd, Guitarist … Associate of the Royal Academy of Music
The great maestro Julian Bream summed up his unique artistry and awarded James the Julian Bream prize in recognition of this extraordinary talent –
‘James has the art of communication. You can’t teach that ….it’s a gift….’

‘The Wizard Guitarist James Boyd held us enthralled’ The Times
‘He recalls Julian Bream’s and Segovia’s willingness to savour the moment……’
Gramophone magazine
…………………………………………………………………………………
Don’t miss this opportunity to hear a rare local talent
£15- including a glass of wine and light refreshments

muirtan

Re: 2018-09-21 James Boyd Norwich (UK)

Post by muirtan » Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:35 am

A gentle reminder that the concert is on Friday and also some background information on the story the concert is woven around and the guitarist. This is the same concert as he gave at the Harwich yacht club which was sold out.
stolenyearsmangreenlatest-page-001.jpg
stolenyearsmangreenlatest-page-002.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

muirtan

Re: 2018-09-21 James Boyd Norwich (UK)

Post by muirtan » Wed Sep 26, 2018 11:37 am

Hi all I’ve finally bit the bullet and decided to give some feedback on the concert!

It was somewhat different from what I expected in the way the works were presented to the audience. I was expecting a piece with an introduction then the next piece or reading etc through to the end with applause in between. How wrong I was. After the first introduction of how the idea of the programme was conceived it was non stop music/ voice/ readings until nearly 1.5 hrs later. The poetry was woven into the music and merged so there was no beginning and no end. Some of the pieces were played in sections so first part then a poem then another etc.

Overall it was magical and full of space and light, for me it conjured up visions of the salt marshes of north Norfolk. The rest of the audience must have been spellbound as from where I was sitting there was no fidgeting, only one very short muffled cough at the beginning, just silence. The last time I went to a concert with such a ‘quiet’ audience was early 1990s to a prom concert.

The feedback I got from some people I knew was ‘ James's musicality was exquisite - even the modern, discordant pieces were very moving to hear ( for the 1st time ever as far as I'm concerned!!). Loved the poems too which were wonderfully delivered. '

‘He was a conduit for the music, all about the music and not him’

It would be interesting for me to hear other views if delcamp member managed to get there.

Return to “Archives - Classical Guitar Concerts”