Beatles music for classical

Respect Copyrights : Any messages offering illegal material or links to sites that provide unauthorized, copyrighted material will be removed by the moderators.
Forum rules
Respect Copyrights : Any messages offering illegal material or links to sites that provide unauthorized, copyrighted material will be removed by the moderators.
Clark

Re: Beatles music for classical

Post by Clark » Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:27 am

I order a copy of the the revised edition ("The Beatles for Classical Guitar, Revised edition", Wise 2003, ISBN 1-84449-312-1) from an Amazon reseller and it arrived in the mail today. Several things about this version stick out to me:

1. Joe Washington is listed as the arranger exactly once, on the same page the copyright and publishers information is. Without looking for it you would never know who arranged these songs. A casual glance through the music to a non-music player would probably lead them to the conclusion that this is the way the songs were originally written.

2. There is a note on the title page, made to get one's attention, that reads as follows: "This publication is not authorized for sale in the United States of America and/or Canada".

Something about it doesn't seem quite right and I suspect the two above things might be related but with the advent of Amazon and other online retailers that make it easy to sell internationally there is probably little the publisher can do.

Clark

bong

Post by bong » Sat Oct 20, 2012 10:20 pm

Clark wrote: "1. ...Without looking for it you would never know who arranged these songs." — Maybe it is a tradition in classical music, to downplay the arranger's role. Joe Washington makes arrangements for solo classical guitar. He tries to answer the question: How could this tune sound if it had been written for a classical guitar from the beginning.

"A casual glance through the music to a non-music player would probably lead them to the conclusion that this is the way the songs were originally written." — I think that is a misunderstanding. This is one way to play the songs if you play classical guitar. The arrangements do not really reflect the way the songs were arranged when The Beatles played them. Furthermore, there is a comment in my version of the book (about Dear Prudence), "Structurally, several variations of the arrangement may be considered, for instance intro - A - B - Coda, or intro - A - repeat A for 16 bars - then Coda," etc. The final interpretation is up to you.

2. There is a note...: "This publication is not authorized for sale in the United States of America and/or Canada". Nothing like that on my copy (printed 2003, Malta, same ISBN). There are several prints/versions. It probably reflects what deal they struck with the rights holders for a particular print. (For used copies sold privately it probably doesn't matter.)

lagartija

Post by lagartija » Sun Oct 21, 2012 1:51 am

Hello Bong, Welcome to Delcamp! If you have not yet found it, please have a look at our welcome page, and this post by Jean-François Delcamp, our host, which explains his thoughts on the purpose of this site.

We advise members to add their location in their profile. To add your location, click on your User Control Panel (at the top left of the page), then on the "Profile" tab, and then type your town and state or country, or even just your country, into the field next to "Location:"
When the sun shines, bask.
__/^^^^^o>
Classical Guitar forever!

bcross3

Post by bcross3 » Sun Oct 21, 2012 3:08 am

Definetly the Takemitsu collection, also check out Brouwer's Beatles arrangement for strings and guitar: "From Yesterday to Penny Lane"

lc90

Post by lc90 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:38 pm

Does anyone know if Brouwer's solo arrangements, of The Beatles songs (from the Barrueco album), are available to purchase anywhere? I'm particularly keen to get a copy of She's Leaving.

George Crocket

Post by George Crocket » Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:49 pm

Have a look at his Cuban publishing house Ediciones Espiral Eterna. You should be able to buy a download of his Beatlerianas from there.
George
2010 Stephen Eden spruce/cocobolo classical guitar
2012 Stephen Eden cedar/IRW classical guitar

lc90

Post by lc90 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:58 pm

Thanks George, I'll have a look!

Reza Chitsaz

Post by Reza Chitsaz » Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:37 pm

removed
Composing for guitar is fun!