Sor: Grand solo op. 14 as played by Julian Bream

Respect Copyrights : Any messages offering illegal material or links to sites that provide unauthorized, copyrighted material will be removed by the moderators.
Forum rules
Respect Copyrights : Any messages offering illegal material or links to sites that provide unauthorized, copyrighted material will be removed by the moderators.
columbus

Sor: Grand solo op. 14 as played by Julian Bream

Post by columbus » Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:49 pm

Hi everybody,

I am looking for Sor's Grand solo op. 14 in the version masterly played by Julian Bream in his RCA record of 1969.
I don't know if this is the same as the original version published in the "Journal de Musique Etrangere pour la Guitare ou Lyre"
mentioned by Brian Jeffery in his book on Sor. What I can say is that both the later Meissonnier (1822) and Simrock (1825) versions,
that I found in Boije's repository, are quite different from what Bream plays in his record.

Can anyone help me with this score? Thanks, and regards from Florence (Italy), Carlo.

Stephen Kenyon
Teacher

Re: Sor: Grand solo op. 14 as played by Julian Bream

Post by Stephen Kenyon » Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:50 pm

See if its one of the things he published via Faber, he had a habit of editing some pieces shorter.
Simon Ambridge Series 40 (2005)
Trevor Semple Series 88 (1992)
Louis Panormo (1838)
Alexander Batov Baroque Guitar (2013)
Simon Ambridge 'Hauser' (2018)

Mark Clifton-Gaultier

Post by Mark Clifton-Gaultier » Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:30 am

I have (I beleive) all of Bream's Faber arrangements and don't recall this being amongst them.

You could search the old publications of "Clifford Essex Music Co. Ltd." including "BMG" magazine - it may have appeared there but, now being long out of print, the search may be difficult. I know that they produced a few items that I have never seen elsewhere .eg. Bream's version of "Capricho Arabe" and some Haydn.

It's just possible that "Guitar Review" may have included it (there's definitely some Bream in there) - if you can find an index.

Also - have you considered that he (Bream) may have played from the edition revised by Aguado?

chelson

Post by chelson » Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:01 pm

You are absolutely right. The grand solo played (refer to the famous documentary) by Julian Bream has a slight variation in few of the bars from all the original scores that you can find. Not written any where but only can hear from Julian Bream. I love Julian Bream's version very much. After so much searching, I finally gave up and just duplicated those differences that Julian Bream had made over the original score. Not a lot actually, just need to listen very carefully and write them down. However, those changes really spice up the taste of that great work by Sor.
Without heart and desire, talent is nothing.

Return to “Search for classical guitar sheet music”