Tárrega's Pavana

Respect Copyrights : Any messages offering illegal material or links to sites that provide unauthorized, copyrighted material will be removed by the moderators.
Forum rules
Respect Copyrights : Any messages offering illegal material or links to sites that provide unauthorized, copyrighted material will be removed by the moderators.
amade

Tárrega's Pavana

Post by amade » Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:18 pm

Is anyone aware of an early Spanish publication of Tárrega's Pavana in E major? The available editions seem to postdate 1958. Daniel Fortea seems to have published an 'edited' version circa 1930, but that edition is rare and apparently has not been republished.
DJB

Altophile

Re: Tárrega's Pavana

Post by Altophile » Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:08 am

Out of curiosity, what difference does it make when it was published?

amade

Post by amade » Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:04 pm

There are a number of versions published several decades after Tárrega's death, and each one has variants in pitch, fingering and expressive indications. This piece was not published during the composer's lifetime or in the years that followed his death. I read that the piece was recorded in 1928 and that Fortea published his own edition c. 1930. So which is the version that Tárrega actually composed? Unless an autograph manuscript survives somewhere, the earliest published edition is probably the best source we have.
DJB

Mark Clifton-Gaultier

Post by Mark Clifton-Gaultier » Sat Apr 21, 2018 3:07 pm

amade wrote:Is anyone aware of an early Spanish publication of Tárrega's Pavana in E major? The available editions seem to postdate 1958. Daniel Fortea seems to have published an 'edited' version circa 1930, but that edition is rare and apparently has not been republished.
Melchior Rodriguez included it in the Soneto "Obras Completas" series - it's in Volume IV.

These volumes are (apparently) based on manuscript copies where there are no early prints - unfortunately, whilst the editors are pleased to inform us of the huge importance of their work in correcting previous errors and discrepancies, there is absolutely zero information given regarding the source of each manuscript, its history and authenticity or any editorial changes made to the texts.

In short (and whilst I have no doubt that manuscripts do indeed lie at the heart of the collection) the Soneto series does little more than compound the previous confusion amongst users - we have no way to tell if these versions are any more authentic than the ones we already used.

I fear that the "Pavana" falls in the same territory as "Lagrima" i.e. several versions, all in Tárrega's hand and all slightly different, given to various pupils when required for a lesson and which were published after his death without reference to any source.

You could try writing to Soneto directly for more information. I seem to remember Rodriguez buying a huge job-lot of manuscripts - maybe back in the 1980s - so perhaps there is some documentation out there - an auction listing, something like that.

amade

Post by amade » Wed May 02, 2018 3:24 pm

Soneto responded to my question concerning the sources used for the Pavana. They wrote that they used an "original manuscript." I now believe that this meant they had access to the composer's autograph manuscript, because the editor claims that all the readings are based on either first editions or "original autograph manuscripts." This edition has certain peculiarities that are sometimes found in Tárrega's autograph scores. But it is very disappointing that there is no modern critical apparatus in the edition, no indication of which source was used for each piece and if any editorial changes were made, such as corrected printing errors. Frankly, this is unacceptable practice for a modern critical edition. Still this edition is probably the best available at this point in time, and who knows, perhaps they will eventually issue real critical notes. Given that we have a less than optimal situation regarding Tárrega sources, I'd say that unless one has an autograph score to consult, the early editions are probably the best scores to use. (One might decide to use the first editions in preference to the autograph score; we do not know which Tárrega preferred.). In the case of pieces like the Pavana, where there are no early editions or accessible scans of an autograph score, we probably should consult Melchor Rodriguez's Soneto edition.
DJB

Return to “Search for classical guitar sheet music”