Music for saxophone and guitar?

Respect Copyrights : Any messages offering illegal material or links to sites that provide unauthorized, copyrighted material will be removed by the moderators.
Forum rules
Respect Copyrights : Any messages offering illegal material or links to sites that provide unauthorized, copyrighted material will be removed by the moderators.
Nick Selby

Music for saxophone and guitar?

Post by Nick Selby » Sun Apr 07, 2019 9:48 am

Does anyone know of any pieces for saxophone and guitar? My son and I played Alan Hovhaness’ Suite for Sax and Guitar In a concert last summer, and I’ve just got hold of Gunter Schillings’ Fandango fur H, which I’m starting to learn. Any suggestions for other pieces would be welcome.

Jeremiah Lawson

Re: Music for saxophone and guitar?

Post by Jeremiah Lawson » Sun Apr 21, 2019 3:46 pm

His scores are hard to get ahold of for me but David Kechley has written a lot of music for alto saxophone and guitar. He's got his own site where you can get some of his work. But it's pretty advanced stuff in terms of technique and scale. I'm partial to his piece Driveline but it's pretty big and tricky.

If you want an excuse to listen to a lot of saxophone and guitar music maybe just get the albums of Duo Montagnard (a pretty good alto sax and guitar duo who have put out a few albums) and give their works a listen.

Sheer Pluck's advanced search might be the bests place to start for looking at what the range of options are for scores.

I've got a sonata for alto saxophone and guitar I started years ago where I have the first movement finished.

simonm

Post by simonm » Sun Apr 21, 2019 3:50 pm

Dare I say have a look at some jazz. :-)

ronjazz

Post by ronjazz » Sun Apr 21, 2019 7:38 pm

I transcribed a lot of music to alto or soprano sax, including flute and violin parts. Just have to check the range of each horn vs. the written solo part.
Lester Devoe Flamenco Negra
Lester Devoe Flamenco Blanca
Aparicio Flamenco Blanca with RMC pickup
Bartolex 7-string with RMC pickup
Giannini 7-string with Shadow pickup
Sal Pace 7-string archtop

tcrist

Post by tcrist » Mon Apr 22, 2019 2:02 am

A few ideas:

Russell Peterson: Sonata for Alto Saxophone and Guitar
Astor Piazzolla: Histoire du Tango (arranged)
Villa-Lobos: Bachianas Brasileiras no 5 would work nicely.
Erin Rogers: Bandwidth (electric guitar and sax)

Nick Selby

Post by Nick Selby » Sun Apr 28, 2019 6:45 pm

Thanks, everyone, for these inspiring ideas. I’ve not managed to track down anything by David Kechley yet, and Duo Montagnard is a good lead: I’m working my way through listening to their various CDs. I play Villa Lobos a lot so the Bachianas Brasileiras is a great idea. My son plays a lot of jazz ... but I fear that would be way out of my comfort zone! There’s plenty for me to work on here — so I’d better get to work. Great suggestions, thanks.

elcharro70

Post by elcharro70 » Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:25 pm

simonm wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2019 3:50 pm
Dare I say have a look at some jazz. :-)
Specifically you might consider playing transcriptions by Stan Getz (try Getz/Gilberto, for which there are transcriptions, or With Laurindo Almeida. Alternately try Paul Desmond and Jim Hall (for whom I'm sure there are a few transcriptions floating around). Another you might consider is "God Bless the Child" from The Bridge (Sonny Rollins, also acc. by Jim Hall).

elcharro70

Post by elcharro70 » Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:39 pm

Jeremiah Lawson wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2019 3:46 pm
His scores are hard to get ahold of for me but David Kechley has written a lot of music for alto saxophone and guitar. He's got his own site where you can get some of his work. But it's pretty advanced stuff in terms of technique and scale. I'm partial to his piece Driveline but it's pretty big and tricky.
You win the award for most obscure reference today. I was amazed to realize I know who this is.

elcharro70

Post by elcharro70 » Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:23 pm

Try this site - enter "Cualquier pais" and "saxofon y guitarra" in the search fields and press "Consultar."

http://www.saxofonlatino.cl/catalogo

I got six results, the composers of which I've only heard Ernesto García de León, and only solo guitar compositions of his at that. He has one duet listed, Introducción, Danza y Contemplativo.

Guitarnotes in your neck of the woods (comparatively, anyway!) lists Vier Bagatellen by Eberhard Werdin (Doblinger).

Jeremiah Lawson

Post by Jeremiah Lawson » Tue Aug 20, 2019 2:31 am

I really WANT to get a Kechley score eventually but I've just had other things going on but he's done some great stuff for this combination of instruments. :) GLad to learn there are other people who know of his work.

Return to “Search for classical guitar sheet music”