Alborada (Tárrega)

Respect Copyrights : Any messages offering illegal material or links to sites that provide unauthorized, copyrighted material will be removed by the moderators.
Forum rules
Respect Copyrights : Any messages offering illegal material or links to sites that provide unauthorized, copyrighted material will be removed by the moderators.
Mark Clifton-Gaultier

Alborada (Tárrega)

Post by Mark Clifton-Gaultier » Sun May 19, 2019 3:35 pm

Does anyone know of early editions of this little piece?

I'm particularly interested in anything between the dates of the following:

1913 Ildefonso Alier and 1956 Editiones Musicales Madrid. Later publications similar to those by Bèrben, Chanterelle, Soneto and Zen-On (unless supported by manuscript sources) are of no relevance.

Thanks in advance.

oc chuck

Re: Alborada (Tárrega)

Post by oc chuck » Sun May 19, 2019 5:16 pm

There are several scores on the Petrucci site.
One has a notation that says: 19-5-25.

Schneider

Post by Schneider » Sun May 19, 2019 6:00 pm

Hi,
See also: http://omeka.wustl.edu/omeka/items/show/13468
(Page says "between 1922 and 1930?")
HTH, cheers,
Pierre

Stephen Kenyon
Teacher

Post by Stephen Kenyon » Sun May 19, 2019 6:13 pm

This was one of my early questions as a 'Camper - nobody came back to me then! I was particularly interested to know when and how the Cajita de Musica subtitled was acquired.
Simon Ambridge Series 40 (2005)
Trevor Semple Series 88 (1992)
Louis Panormo (1838)
Alexander Batov Baroque Guitar (2013)
Simon Ambridge 'Hauser' (2018)

Mark Clifton-Gaultier

Post by Mark Clifton-Gaultier » Mon May 20, 2019 9:36 am

oc chuck wrote:There are several scores on the Petrucci site.
One has a notation that says: 19-5-25.
Thanks Chuck - both of those are replicas of the Ildefonso Alier edition (same plate no.) that I referenced.
Schneider wrote:Hi,
See also: http://omeka.wustl.edu/omeka/items/show/13468
(Page says "between 1922 and 1930?")
Thanks Pierre - that is also a copy of the Ildefonso Alier.
Stephen Kenyon wrote:This was one of my early questions as a 'Camper - nobody came back to me then! I was particularly interested to know when and how the Cajita de Musica subtitled was acquired.
Hi Stephen - given that the original title means "sunrise" or "dawn" which fits perfectly well with the music (though perhaps not some of the more apoyando driven interpretations), I suspect that the musical box appellation is spurious - acquired in similar manner to Beethoven's "moonlight". I have no idea when the first use might have occurred. Did you discover anything yourself?

Meanwhile I am aware of a few persons recently attaching "moonlight" to a certain Sor study ... bah, humbug.

Stephen Kenyon
Teacher

Post by Stephen Kenyon » Mon May 20, 2019 9:21 pm

Mark Clifton-Gaultier wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 9:36 am
Stephen Kenyon wrote:This was one of my early questions as a 'Camper - nobody came back to me then! I was particularly interested to know when and how the Cajita de Musica subtitled was acquired.
Hi Stephen - given that the original title means "sunrise" or "dawn" which fits perfectly well with the music (though perhaps not some of the more apoyando driven interpretations), I suspect that the musical box appellation is spurious - acquired in similar manner to Beethoven's "moonlight". I have no idea when the first use might have occurred. Did you discover anything yourself?
I think the understanding was that the harmonics section is imitative of the mechanism of a musical box - and its characteristic tone. No I didn't come up with an answer as to how this title was attached.

Another spurious, though at least understandable Sor mis-title, Op 47 no 2 being called "La Chasse".
Simon Ambridge Series 40 (2005)
Trevor Semple Series 88 (1992)
Louis Panormo (1838)
Alexander Batov Baroque Guitar (2013)
Simon Ambridge 'Hauser' (2018)

Mark Clifton-Gaultier

Post by Mark Clifton-Gaultier » Tue May 21, 2019 8:15 am

Stephen Kenyon wrote:I think the understanding was that the harmonics section is imitative of the mechanism of a musical box - and its characteristic tone.
Clearly so - the question would be, is it deliberately imitative or the effect simply coincidentally reminiscent?

Perhaps the only way it matters of course is in our approach to interpretation - I have always based my playing around the idea of "morning" - a cheerful walk anticipating fresh bread and coffee - the twittering triplets and harmonics suggesting the argumentative bustle of Spanish sparrows as they gather and tumble in the new light.

I do think that, if Tárrega himself had intended the imitation, he would have alluded to the idea in his title - and perhaps he did - on some scrap of manuscript now hidden away in a private collection?

Anyone have the Soneto volume V and can tell us what Melchior Rodriguez offered as a title? Unfortunately I only have volumes I - IV.

Jorge Oliveira

Post by Jorge Oliveira » Tue May 21, 2019 10:59 am

I have Volume V of the Soneto edition, Mark, and La Alborada ("o amanhecer" in Portuguese, meaning sun rising, dawn) is the first piece in it (SEM 23, pages 14-15). The title of the piece is LA ALBORADA and, underneath it (Juguete dedicado a mi hijito Paco). In what concerns your question, Mr. Melchor Rodríguez always includes at the beginning of its Volumes photocopies of one or two original handwritten manuscripts (not necessarily complete) of scores of pieces in the Volume. In this case, the complete handwritten score of La Alborada is the one presented, in page 13. The title is LA Alborada "Juguete dedicado a mi Hijito Paco - Tárrega (ipsis verbis, no closing of the quotation mark). There follows the complete score occupying five staffs (the empty page had 10 staffs, the first was used for the tittle and the 2nd, 4th, 6th, 8th and 10th for the musical notes, ending with Valencia 21-Junio 91- followed by his signature "Franc_ Tárrega".

In his English translated notes concerning this piece (in page 99), Mr. Rodríguez writes (ipsis verbis):

LA ALBORADA - SEM No. 23, page 14 (Musical toy Dedicated to my little son, Paco)

The Lied form of this short, amusing piece suggests the sound of a musical toy, as its dedication indicates, especially in Section B, in which the crystalline sound of its artificial harmonics is made even more patent.
1972 - Kuniharu Nobe #8, 658/52, Spr, IN RW, Tokyo, JP
1976 - Ryoji Matsuoka No.50, 650/53, Ced, IN RW, JP
1979 - Ryoji Matsuoka No.40, 650/53, Ced, IN RW, JP
2014 - Hermanos Camps Master Nº 3, 650/52, CA Ced, MG RW, Banyoles, ES

Schneider

Post by Schneider » Tue May 21, 2019 12:10 pm

How about a crop:

alborada_orig.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Jorge Oliveira

Post by Jorge Oliveira » Tue May 21, 2019 12:21 pm

I was afraid it might infringe Soneto’s copyright... :D

Mark Clifton-Gaultier

Post by Mark Clifton-Gaultier » Tue May 21, 2019 1:45 pm

Jorge Oliveira wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 10:59 am
I have Volume V of the Soneto edition, Mark, and La Alborada ("o amanhecer" in Portuguese, meaning sun rising, dawn) is the first piece in it (SEM 23, pages 14-15) ... underneath it (Juguete dedicado a mi hijito Paco).
Thanks Jorge (and Schneider), really helpful (if not yet definitive) ... "juguete" means a "plaything" or a "toy"; in music a little frivolous piece such as many composers have written through the ages. That's not at all the same as "cajita de musica", though with the dedication to his son surely the idea was present?

Another question if I may: counting from the first complete measure, what are the notes of the arpeggio in measure 10 of the hand written score?

Jorge Oliveira

Post by Jorge Oliveira » Tue May 21, 2019 2:29 pm

Sent you a PM, Mark.

Best regards,
Jorge

Mark Clifton-Gaultier

Post by Mark Clifton-Gaultier » Tue May 21, 2019 7:51 pm

Following a conversation with Jorge I investigated Soneto's catalogue a little further - I'm replying here as the information may save someone a mistake.

Soneto has a section titled "Facsimiles" containing four further volumes of Tárrega. Expecting to find at least some of the mss. in there I enquired further only to discover that in fact they contain none at all.

This set of books is derived directly from the "Obras Completas" series, delivering the same material but in genre collections e.g. polkas or waltzes. They are not expensive - just a few euros and I'm sure that any misdirection is likely one of language but don't buy them looking for Tárrega's originals.

If however you should want an edited collection of Tárrega's waltzes (for instance) they would appear to be an inexpensive and handy format, and they are at least based on the originals.

Return to “Search for classical guitar sheet music”