Weiss Sonata 19

Respect Copyrights : Any messages offering illegal material or links to sites that provide unauthorized, copyrighted material will be removed by the moderators.
Forum rules
Respect Copyrights : Any messages offering illegal material or links to sites that provide unauthorized, copyrighted material will be removed by the moderators.
licaptn

Weiss Sonata 19

Post by licaptn » Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:37 pm

Where can I find transcribed sheet music for the Allemande (David Russell recorded it on his Air on a G string CD)? I have found a book of Weiss transcriptions by Ruggero Chiesa but don't want to spend $375 for it just yet. Right now, just looking for Allemande. Thanks for your help.

JQ.

Re: Weiss Sonata 19

Post by JQ. » Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:29 am

This site has quite a bit of Weiss available, if you can figure out which one it is. :)

http://pagesperso-orange.fr/jdf.luth/

licaptn

Post by licaptn » Tue Feb 17, 2009 2:47 am

Thanks, JQ. I had seen this site. Unfortunately, it does not have Allemande for Sonata 19. Also it is written for lute. I want the transcription for guitar. Amazing. So many Weiss transcriptions are available on the web but this one (perhaps the most beautiful) is real hard to find.

norban

Post by norban » Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:39 am

licaptn wrote:Where can I find transcribed sheet music for the Allemande (David Russell recorded it on his Air on a G string CD)? I have found a book of Weiss transcriptions by Ruggero Chiesa but don't want to spend $375 for it just yet. Right now, just looking for Allemande. Thanks for your help.
Hello Licaptn,
you made me curious. :P Looking into my Chiesa Book couldn't find a Allemande in Suite 19. Also in the London Manuscript there is no Sonata at all. The Suites of Weiss in the Dresden Manuscipt are usually called Sonatas. Will have a look there to find it.

norban
A life without music is possible but very poor.

licaptn

Post by licaptn » Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:33 pm

Thanks, Norban. Now I'm really glad I didn't buy the Chiesa book. Although I'm surprised Allemande isn't there. I have two recordings of this piece -- one from David Russell (Air on a G string) and Robert Barto on lute. Both use the same discription. David Russell's wife told me that David used the Chiesa transcription and specifically mentioned the London Manuscript.

pogmoor

Post by pogmoor » Tue Feb 17, 2009 4:09 pm

licaptn wrote:Now I'm really glad I didn't buy the Chiesa book. Although I'm surprised Allemande isn't there.
There is a problem with Weiss numbering because there isn't a single accepted system. The Allemande you are referring to is in Suite no. 14 in the Chiesa book. The transcriptions in this book are unusual because they have been done as if for a lute played from staff notation, so they need to be adapted for the guitar. If you are especially interested in Weiss it's well worth having this book, though the price you mention is very high. I got it for £20, but that was a good few years ago.

This is a very tuneful Allemande and there is a guitar transcription of it (and the rest of the suite) by Victor Villadangos, published by the Gendai Guitar Co. Ltd, Tokyo (edition no. GG112). Editions from this publisher are available internationally (I got it in the UK). The Passacaille from this suite is the best known movement (to guitarists), indeed M. Delcamp himself is in the process of revising an arrangement for the level 9 series.
Eric from GuitarLoot
Renaissance and Baroque freak; classical guitars by Lester Backshall (2008), Ramirez (Guitarra del Tiempo 2017),
Yamaha (SLG 130NW silent classical guitar 2014).

norban

Post by norban » Tue Feb 17, 2009 4:25 pm

Wow Pogmoor,
you were a bit faster, just found it in the suite 14 :P

@ Licaptn, it's written in F, you can play it directly from the link given, with dropped D and ignoring the few notes below D.
Years ago I made a trancription in G of the whole suite But it's in handwriting only.

norban
A life without music is possible but very poor.

licaptn

Post by licaptn » Tue Feb 17, 2009 6:40 pm

Wow guys, I'm impressed. And grateful!
:merci:

av8t0r

Post by av8t0r » Fri Feb 27, 2009 1:31 pm

There's a nice list of works by Weiss at http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/tabs/syl ... s_tabs.htm, all in Powertab format with tab as well as standard notation. The Allemande is listed as Sonata No 14 In F.
Too many guitars, not enough time.

goldnspots

Post by goldnspots » Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:10 pm

licaptn wrote:Where can I find transcribed sheet music for the Allemande (David Russell recorded it on his Air on a G string CD)?
Anybody find this piece? I am looking for it too (or any from this David Russell CD).

pogmoor

Post by pogmoor » Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:36 pm

goldnspots wrote:or any from this David Russell CD
Use Advanced Forum Search and look for Weiss in Our scores for classical guitar. You'll find a number of Weiss arrangements by forum members including my arrangement of a prelude that David Russell plays.
Eric from GuitarLoot
Renaissance and Baroque freak; classical guitars by Lester Backshall (2008), Ramirez (Guitarra del Tiempo 2017),

jewell

Post by jewell » Wed Apr 04, 2018 3:50 pm

Hi. This is an old post, I but I just saw D Russell perform these pieces by Weiss. Outstanding! I can not locate the actual Allemande noted here . Has anyone been able . Probably his own transcription? Thx! Jim. The Villadangos Suite 14 does not appear to be it .

Mark Clifton-Gaultier

Post by Mark Clifton-Gaultier » Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:01 am

A friend of mine has taken it upon himself to transcribe Weiss' entire output - not sure how far along with the project he is but you will find London Suite 14 here: https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j ... HxmAzuIQij

These arrangements don't come with editorial notes or indications of octave transpositions as far as I'm aware, but I know that they all work well on a standard guitar as he performs each suite for our society as he completes them.

The arrangements are free to download - there are also hundreds of duets, trios and other ensembles available - all with individually graded parts.

pogmoor

Post by pogmoor » Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:17 am

What an excellent resource :)
I see he's indicate the grade level of each piece; that's very helpful.
Eric from GuitarLoot

Conall

Post by Conall » Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:25 am

There's a ton of Weiss available here:

http://jdf.luth.pagesperso-orange.fr/Mu ... _Weiss.htm

It's in French but you can use Google translate. Some sonatas are only available in French tab or other formats but loads are in guitar staff notation. Low octave basses are shown but can be transposed upwards. Also watch that accidentals seem to be used somewhat haphazardly in some pieces - but your ear should tell you!
Last edited by Conall on Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Search for classical guitar sheet music”