Best Bach for Beginners?

Respect Copyrights : Any messages offering illegal material or links to sites that provide unauthorized, copyrighted material will be removed by the moderators.
Forum rules
Respect Copyrights : Any messages offering illegal material or links to sites that provide unauthorized, copyrighted material will be removed by the moderators.
dukerb

Best Bach for Beginners?

Post by dukerb » Wed Jul 29, 2009 4:34 pm

Greetings all!

I have a question which is "what do you recommend for beginners in Bach's collection"?

I studied classical piano for 12 years, it has been 16 since I have played, so I don't want to make the mistake of getting in over my head at first and then becoming discouraged. I am also wondering if you know or have a suggestion for a best book for beginners overall...

Thanks so much in advance,

Mike H. :merci:

Bernhard Heimann

Re: Best Bach for Beginners?

Post by Bernhard Heimann » Wed Jul 29, 2009 5:23 pm

Hi!

In your message you told us about your experience with classical piano - but not
your guitar playing.
If you are looking for (original) Bach pieces for guitar beginners - there are none.
Bach didn't compose for classical guitar, his lute suites transcribed for guitar are advanced material,
but the good news come at the end: there are tons of Bach pieces transcribed for guitar and I guess you are
looking for a collection of these with pieces for beginners. Am I right? If so, let me know.

Bernhard :)

dukerb

Post by dukerb » Wed Jul 29, 2009 5:29 pm

Hi Bernhard!

Thank you very much for your reply and clarification about Bach's music. I remember from piano, that his work is quite technical, so it may be too early for this on the guitar! Just one of my favorites.

I have very little guitar experience. Took lessons when I was quite young, still remember a few basic chords, but I am afraid that is about all right now!

I guess you could say I am looking for the best route to that style of playing via recommendations on collections of music. Not to say I don't also like Spanish music. Any ideas you might have a good materials for someone starting out with a good, if not a little rusty knowledge of music.

Thank you again, and cheers from (hot!) Seattle. 8)

Mike

DanielMcPherson

Post by DanielMcPherson » Wed Jul 29, 2009 6:31 pm

I have played through but do not own the "Bach Album" of 14 Bach pieces edited by Sophocles Papas. It has the best "easy" arrangements of Bach that I've seen. Definitions of "beginner" may vary, but the arrangements are very playable, mostly open position, and don't sound like they are compromising anything musically in making the pieces easier to play.

I'm not sure where you can find this book, though. I believe its out-of-print. A quick internet search revealed a few places selling it, however none of the usual, big name retailers (guitar-oriented sites or general sheet music sites) seem to have it. If you can find it, however, it might be exactly what you're looking for.

dukerb

Post by dukerb » Wed Jul 29, 2009 6:36 pm

Thank you Daniel!!!

This sounds great. I am heading up the the biggest classical guitar store here in Seattle this afternoon, so will look there, or ask for something similar.

Best regards,

Mike :merci:

Erik Zurcher

Post by Erik Zurcher » Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:12 pm

dukerb, have a look at Delcamp's collection of sheet music. There are some Bach transcriptions of different levels. Make sure you subscribe to the '20 messages group' if you haven't done so already: it will give you access.
Reedition Domingo Esteso by Conde Hermanos 2004; Kenny Hill, model Barcelona 2001
"While you try to master classical guitar, prepare for a slave's life: the guitar will forever be your master and you its slave".

dukerb

Post by dukerb » Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:24 pm

Thank you very much. I have just begun to scratch the surface of what is available!!!

Mike

khayes

Post by khayes » Thu Jul 30, 2009 1:36 am

Ben Verdery's "Easy Classical Guitar Recital" collection has a couple of nice arrangements of the Gavottes from cello suite #6. They're both in the key of C with no bar chords.
Ken

dukerb

Post by dukerb » Thu Jul 30, 2009 1:52 am

Hi Ken,

Thanks very much for this tip!

Mike

Nick Payne
Amateur luthier

Post by Nick Payne » Thu Jul 30, 2009 5:47 am

There's a publication "Bach for Guitar", by Howard Wallach, which contains easy and intermediate pieces. It's quite good. The publisher is Alfred Publishing Co.

dukerb

Post by dukerb » Thu Jul 30, 2009 6:05 am

Thank you Nick!

Cheers from Seattle where it is still 95 degrees at 11pm!

Mike

Return to “Search for classical guitar sheet music”