Jason Vieaux - In A Sentimental Mood

Respect Copyrights : Any messages offering illegal material or links to sites that provide unauthorized, copyrighted material will be removed by the moderators.
Forum rules
Respect Copyrights : Any messages offering illegal material or links to sites that provide unauthorized, copyrighted material will be removed by the moderators.
rinneby

Re: Jason Vieaux - In A Sentimental Mood

Post by rinneby » Fri May 31, 2019 8:08 am

khayes wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 11:16 pm
richtm wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 10:34 am
I like Jasons arrangement - it is Beautiful! - But was surprised when I bought it by the technical difficulty. This is definitely not starters level piece.
Could someone grade the arrangement? DXX? Thank you!
Surely you did not think it would be a starter level piece??? I would expect any arrangement by Jason to be full of technical challenges.
"But was surprised when I bought it by the technical difficulty" - quote of the day :) - This is a very challenging and demanding piece. Not just "playing it" but more so, actually do it justice.

/J
1964 - Masaru Kohno No.7
2016 - Pete Beer

Feel free to ask me anything about Japanese classical guitars.

Rognvald

Post by Rognvald » Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:12 pm

O.K. . . . for the record, Jason is a very accomplished Classical musician/artist and kudos to him for stretching out into different genres of music to expand his palette. However, since this Forum is predominately devoted to Classical Guitar and most of the practitioners are CG's, I want it to be clear as a Classical player with a lengthy background in R&B, Funk, Jazz-Rock, and Jazz, that his performance of "In a Sentimental Mood" is a Classical musician's take on a Jazz classic and in no way represents a Jazzer's rendition. His tempo, emphasis, and breathing are studied and predictable and although he shows great expression on his face, to my ears he is playing from the sheet music in his head. The greatest difference between CG's and Jazzers is that for the CG the music begins on a piece of paper . . . for Jazzers . . . it begins in their soul(how's that for a 60's expression) and musical nuances are not written in stone but morph depending on one's mood and nightly creativity. The best way to learn music is to listen, not talk so here's Jason's version and one by Cliff Lisette. It is important to listen to the differences in feel, tempo, emphasis, and breathing. Playing again . . . Rognvald

"And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music." Friedrich Nietzsche, Thus Spake Zarathustra

soltirefa

Post by soltirefa » Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:58 pm

Pfft, one guy is playing a solo of the whole thing (harmony, melody, and rhythm) and the other is playing just the melody part with a band backing him up.

Not really comparable to me.

Rognvald

Post by Rognvald » Thu Jun 06, 2019 3:18 pm

soltirefa wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:58 pm
Pfft, one guy is playing a solo of the whole thing (harmony, melody, and rhythm) and the other is playing just the melody part with a band backing him up.

Not really comparable to me.

Solti,
Generally, that's the difference between Jazz and Classical performance. Why don't you try to look beyond this obvious difference and focus on the interpretive aspects of the musicianship and the "feel" of the performance? Although, "feel" and "interpretive" are elements of Jazz performance that are expected by Jazz musicians and listeners alike, sadly, they are not necessarily so among many classical players as is evidenced by your above remarks. Try to get outside your box, Solti . . . there's a wealth of musicianship to be learned and embraced by CG's listening to other genres. Playing again . . . Rognvald
"And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music." Friedrich Nietzsche, Thus Spake Zarathustra

Rognvald

Post by Rognvald » Thu Jun 06, 2019 3:47 pm

O.K., Solti,
Only because you are a near and dear friend (ahem) and have proved a valuable resource in finding CG manuscripts, I'll give you what you want! Here's Stephanie Chan who plays it the way you want it . . . and blows the proverbial pants off Jason's rendition. Playing again . . . Rognvald

soltirefa

Post by soltirefa » Thu Jun 06, 2019 4:50 pm

I like Jason's and Stephanie's. I, personally, would tend to give Jason's repeated listens. It tickles my brain more, partly because of the smooth tone of the classical guitar.

Not sure why you feel the need to make one better than the other and make it all about you proving some point.

Rognvald

Post by Rognvald » Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:21 pm

"Not sure why you feel the need to make one better than the other and make it all about you proving some point." Solti

Not at all, Solti . . . I felt you were dismissing Cliff's interpretation because it was too linear with the comping in the background . . . ergo, the second submission. Playing again . . . Rognvald

closet guitarist

Post by closet guitarist » Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:19 pm

All three are very good with their interpretations. To me, the rendition by J.V. is technically more challenging by an extensive factor. Doesn't necessarily make his better, depending on the mood, a stripped down version of a piece can also hit home.

Cheers

Dave the Great

Post by Dave the Great » Sat Jul 06, 2019 6:13 am

Rognvald wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 3:47 pm
... Here's Stephanie Chan who plays it the way you want it . . . and blows the proverbial pants off Jason's rendition....
I disagree. I think Jason's is smoother and sounds better.

Also, Stephanie is playing an arrangement, too... she's just not improving. If you look up the arrangement there are a number of videos that are pretty much note for note what she is playing. Now I didn't spend a ton of time on this, so maybe the other videos are copying changes she might have made.

However, I think I can see your point... that classical guitarists need to open up their soul sometimes and play by feel and not just what is written or memorized/ learned by rote.

Rognvald

Post by Rognvald » Sat Jul 06, 2019 1:15 pm

"Also, Stephanie is playing an arrangement, too... she's just not improving." Dave the Great

Hi, Dave,
There is no doubt in my mind, based on the above videos, that neither Stephanie nor Jason are improvising. Of course, this is always the norm when you are playing an arrangement versus a fresh, extemporaneous rendition that Jazzers play. It also defines the difference between the two idioms. Playing again . . . Rognvald

Francisco

Post by Francisco » Sat Jul 06, 2019 8:09 pm

I saw Vieaux at Domaine Forget last night. This was the next to last piece on the program.
For the encore he played a recent composition of his own, dedicated to his parents.
He is a hell of a player and It was a wonderful concert. I loved everything he played except for the "Quatre pièces brèves" by Frank Martin which I'd never heard and found rather dull and forgettable.
Program: https://www.domaineforget.com/programma ... x-guitare/

Tom Poore

Post by Tom Poore » Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:41 pm

Rognvald wrote:O.K. . . . for the record, Jason is a very accomplished Classical musician/artist and kudos to him for stretching out into different genres of music to expand his palette. However, since this Forum is predominately devoted to Classical Guitar and most of the practitioners are CG's, I want it to be clear as a Classical player with a lengthy background in R&B, Funk, Jazz-Rock, and Jazz, that his performance of "In a Sentimental Mood" is a Classical musician's take on a Jazz classic and in no way represents a Jazzer's rendition. His tempo, emphasis, and breathing are studied and predictable and although he shows great expression on his face, to my ears he is playing from the sheet music in his head.
For the record, Vieaux is a big jazz fan. I’ve seen his book and CD collections—they’re chock full of jazz stuff. He performs and records with the jazz bandoneón player Julien Labro. And don’t get him started on Pat Metheny, or any other jazz guitarist for that matter. (By the way, Metheny just wrote him a piece.)

Vieaux is no stiff as an improviser. Back in the day I played gigs with him. He often would go off script and improvise his part.

So although no one should enshrine him as a jazz icon, Vieaux is hardly a clueless classical prude.

Tom Poore
South Euclid, OH
USA

acmost9

Post by acmost9 » Mon Jul 08, 2019 2:35 pm

Rognvald wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:12 pm
O.K. . . . for the record, Jason is a very accomplished Classical musician/artist and kudos to him for stretching out into different genres of music to expand his palette. However, since this Forum is predominately devoted to Classical Guitar and most of the practitioners are CG's, I want it to be clear as a Classical player with a lengthy background in R&B, Funk, Jazz-Rock, and Jazz, that his performance of "In a Sentimental Mood" is a Classical musician's take on a Jazz classic and in no way represents a Jazzer's rendition. His tempo, emphasis, and breathing are studied and predictable and although he shows great expression on his face, to my ears he is playing from the sheet music in his head. The greatest difference between CG's and Jazzers is that for the CG the music begins on a piece of paper . . . for Jazzers . . . it begins in their soul(how's that for a 60's expression) and musical nuances are not written in stone but morph depending on one's mood and nightly creativity. The best way to learn music is to listen, not talk so here's Jason's version and one by Cliff Lisette. It is important to listen to the differences in feel, tempo, emphasis, and breathing. Playing again . . . Rognvald
I guess I disagree, I think it swings. I'm thinkin' Lenny Breau would approve.

Kent

Post by Kent » Mon Jul 08, 2019 4:09 pm

Jason Vieaux's Metheny CD release "Images Of Metheny" is a masterpiece.
The finished work that went into transcribing Metheny's music for this recording is phenomenal. I have never heard the classical guitar sound so good.

lagartija

Post by lagartija » Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:34 pm

Tom Poore wrote:Vieaux is no stiff as an improviser. Back in the day I played gigs with him. He often would go off script and improvise his part.
I was playing Villa-Lobos Prelude 3 in a masterclass with Jason, and at the end of the session, he asked that I play the piece again. Then he started to improvise around what I was playing...it was great fun! I was recording my session, so I still have a record of it. The audience enjoyed it too. :-D
When the sun shines, bask.
__/^^^^^o>
Classical Guitar forever!

Return to “Search for classical guitar sheet music”