How many people use those rubber grip mats to stop their guitar slipping away?

Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists, Aches and Pains, Injuries, etc...
George Crocket

Re: How many people use those rubber grip mats to stop their guitar slipping away?

Post by George Crocket » Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:59 am

I used to use these, but the mandolinists in my orchestra use what I find significantly better, illustrated below. Doubtless there are other sources, but we get ours from Trekel Music in Germany.
tz19962.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
George
2010 Stephen Eden spruce/cocobolo classical guitar
2012 Stephen Eden cedar/IRW classical guitar

petermc61

Re: How many people use those rubber grip mats to stop their guitar slipping away?

Post by petermc61 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:33 am

In response to a couple of questions: I don’t know what product the non-slip was, but it was applied to a cured/mature FP NOT a new one, so it was definitely a chemical reaction not a FP polish that had not hardened.

The chamois leather sounds far safer.

The De Oreo support uses a strip of such leather and does not slip. Best of both worlds.

celestemcc

Post by celestemcc » Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:12 pm

I've never felt the need. The guitar rest I use (a De Oro - thank again Peter!!) has a strip of leather that sits on the leg, rough side down. It feels very secure to me.
I use one too, and love it, but find it's even more secure with the neoprene mats.
2015 Connor spruce/Indian rosewood
1978 Ramirez 1a cedar

ben etow

Post by ben etow » Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:08 pm

George Crocket wrote:
Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:59 am
I used to use these, but the mandolinists in my orchestra use what I find significantly better, illustrated below. Doubtless there are other sources, but we get ours from Trekel Music in Germany.
tz19962.jpg
I do use several types of antislip mats, but only those showed in George Crocket's pic for the most fragile guitars.
You have such a better control on the instrument I consider them as a must.

muirtan

Post by muirtan » Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:34 pm

Been using one for quite a while now, I lay the non slip mat on my leg then a Dynerette pad on top so it doesn't come into contact with the guitar. Matt also suggested using it with the lute which I do.

JohnB

Post by JohnB » Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:45 pm

I'm curious about this, after the thread show so many people using mats.

Personally, I use a footstool and my guitar feels very secure and stable, and I can't see how the stability would be improved with a mat. (I suppose the stability depends of the geometry of footstool height, chair height, left upper leg angle, angle of the guitar, etc.)
Hermanos Conde 1968, Stephen Frith 2007 "Guijoso", Christopher Dean 2018, Ana Maria Espinosa 2014

muirtan

Post by muirtan » Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:20 pm

JohnB wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:45 pm
I'm curious about this, after the thread show so many people using mats.

Personally, I use a footstool and my guitar feels very secure and stable, and I can't see how the stability would be improved with a mat. (I suppose the stability depends of the geometry of footstool height, chair height, left upper leg angle, angle of the guitar, etc.)
It also helps if the fabric of your trousers is slippier than normal. Some fabrics can be quite slippy and the mat helps then. I rarely use a footstoll as in the past I've had problems with my hip ( not guitar related) , I find having hips level helps.

celestemcc

Post by celestemcc » Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:51 pm

George Crocket wrote:
Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:59 am
tz19962.jpg
Thank you: I got mine from a Trekel booth at a festival in Germany, I'd forgotten the company name. But they are, basically, just pieces of 1mm neoprene and agree, better than the kind described by the OP.
2015 Connor spruce/Indian rosewood
1978 Ramirez 1a cedar

BethFR

Post by BethFR » Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:50 am

I use the open mesh style ones. Also dynarette. Footstool gave me back trouble.

Pat Foster
Luthier

Post by Pat Foster » Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:39 am

Some of the mesh non-slip material has a mold release that's left on after the molding process. It can be pretty nasty stuff on some finishes. I've found that some of them don't grip all that well. I use a mesh non-slip area rug pad. Problem for some people is that it's white, which is ok for me - I don't think I'll get good enough to perform in my lifetime.

CurtVal

Post by CurtVal » Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:17 am

Yes I use it all the time. I use a Dynarette cushion and that tends to slide off my leg, so I use one under the cushion as well as one on my right leg.

ben etow

Post by ben etow » Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:00 pm

I forgot to mention that I use the mats on the right leg and that I use a Dynarette on the left leg... I even use some mats under the Dynarette when I play with bare legs (hot summers in Spain for instance).

Return to “Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists”