Posture and support for guitalele

Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists, Aches and Pains, Injuries, etc...
hpaulj

Posture and support for guitalele

Post by hpaulj » Mon Nov 23, 2015 9:57 pm

What's a good way to hold and support a small instrument like a guitalele?

When I first got mine I supported the neck with my left hand, with the body resting on my lap. But then I realized that this was limiting my fingering freedom. In particular my palm often dampened the highest string.

I tried a strap through the head stock. That supported the neck nicely, but irritated my neck and shoulder muscles (I've problems with backback straps in the past). I haven't tried a ukulele hole strap, or full body strap.

The best so far is to place a cushion on my left thigh. An overstuffed fanny pack works pretty well. And I normally sit cross legged, with the guitalele nestled in the hollow. The angle is similar to the standard classical one, with 1st position at upper chest level, about a hand length away from my face. That's consistent with the description of a guitalele as a guitar with a capo at the 5th fret.

I've toyed with trying one of the guitar supports. Maybe the least expensive style with one suction cup. The guitalele body is only 70mm deep.

Mostly I'm playing beginner classical guitar methods/studies and easy pieces.

Florentin Tise

Re: Posture and support for guitalele

Post by Florentin Tise » Mon Nov 23, 2015 10:17 pm

Why are you playing on a guitalele?
Just wondering.

hpaulj

Post by hpaulj » Mon Nov 23, 2015 11:41 pm

Cause I don't own a guitar. My introduction post elaborates on that. No performance ambitions either. This is just for my own enjoyment.
Last edited by hpaulj on Tue Nov 24, 2015 12:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Florentin Tise

Post by Florentin Tise » Mon Nov 23, 2015 11:47 pm

Oh, I see.
Thanks for the clarification.

mc1

Post by mc1 » Tue Nov 24, 2015 12:40 pm

i have one and it's hard to hold. i don't play it too much but i use a dynarette cushion. i think you could use something similar, like your fanny pack, cushion, foam ball (i've tried lots of items). it's nice to have the material grippy and not slidey, or cover it with some grippy foam sheets (used to open jars, etc).

chelson

Post by chelson » Mon Nov 30, 2015 3:43 pm

I just put my pillow underneath my left leg. The rest are the same.
Without heart and desire, talent is nothing.

guit-box

Post by guit-box » Wed Dec 02, 2015 10:02 am

a strap is probably the easiest solution
An eyewitness will often only see what he already believes to be true.

hpaulj

Post by hpaulj » Thu Dec 03, 2015 5:03 am

I'm experimenting again with a strap, this time trying to copy the Uke Leash (half strap) 'arm loop' approach. The position is good (with the body of the instrument resting in my lap), and less stress on my neck.

souldier

Post by souldier » Tue Dec 08, 2015 8:57 pm

I have a Cordoba Guilele which is essentially the same thing. I got a strap pin drilled in the heel of the neck and bottom of the guitar which is standard and I use a children size strap since they are shorter. This is without a doubt the most comfortable way for me to play on a Guilele. It is also a lot more stable and comfortable than putting the strap at the headstock. You can easily go to a music shop and have them drill the strap pins in for you.
"Success grants its rewards to a few, but is the dream of the multitudes.
Excellence is available to all, but is accepted only by a few." - Christopher Parkening

hpaulj

Post by hpaulj » Thu Feb 25, 2016 8:07 pm

I've found a satisfactory strap solution.

I stuck a Command 'picture clip' on the bottom. This is a small low profile Command hanger. I use short nylon loops at this end, and at the headstock, and DSLR camera strap in the middle.

I stuck the Command strip on at a slight angle to line up with the pull of the strap. The instrument is light, so the small size is enough. Plus I mostly play sitting, with the instrument partially supported on my lap.

The headstock attachment works well with this instrument. It's the open classical guitar style headstock - a bit heavy for the short length. At a comfortable angle this attachment is just below my left shoulder.

Tonyyyyy

Post by Tonyyyyy » Thu Feb 25, 2016 9:03 pm

hpaulj wrote:I've found a satisfactory strap solution.

I stuck a Command 'picture clip' on the bottom. This is a small low profile Command hanger....
i was confused about a ''command hanger'' but e - b a y explained...just a self-adhesive thingummyjig - called something different over here. Should work fine on a light instrument. A good solution which avoids making a hole

I remember the first time I tried to play a uke and it just would not stay on my lap!. I borrowed a friends guitalele once and its a fine instrument, capable of anything a full-size guitar can do

hpaulj

Post by hpaulj » Thu Feb 25, 2016 9:17 pm

I should have referenced the thread where I got the idea. Yes, this is a 3M brand of adhesive strips, meant for painted walls where clean release matters.

Return to “Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists”