Guitar support - De Oro or Murata?

Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists, Aches and Pains, Injuries, etc...
Cao Nguyen

Guitar support - De Oro or Murata?

Post by Cao Nguyen » Fri Dec 11, 2015 11:58 am

I've read a lot of reviews on guitar supports and it finally comes down to two models - De Oro or Murata. I kind of like the De Oro more because of its adjustability to various sitting positions and angles. The problem is my guitar has a matte finish that won't go well with the suction cups. The Murata works with any kind of finish but is less flexible, 2 times more expensive and aesthetically not as attractive.

Has anyone got experiences with both of them?

walfordr

Re: Guitar support - De Oro or Murata?

Post by walfordr » Fri Dec 11, 2015 12:16 pm

I use a footstool.

I have two of them, one I made 40 years ago by gluing together three pieces of scrap wood, the other is an old paint tin with a bit of old carpet stuck on the bottom.

These two work equally with all guitars and pretty much every chair I have come across.

celestemcc

Post by celestemcc » Fri Dec 11, 2015 4:58 pm

I use a DeOro (also an Ergoplay) and like both, particularly the DeOro. But because of that I had the sides of my guitar finished with lacquer. However you can get patches to attach to your guitar's French polish finish to accomodate suction cups; if you google either support, you will find those patches. Have never used them, but I know they're an option.
2015 Connor spruce/Indian rosewood
1978 Ramirez 1a cedar

souldier

Post by souldier » Fri Dec 11, 2015 6:03 pm

De Oro hands down. They are indestructible, high quality, portable, adjustable, affordable, secure and attractive. I've been using mine for several years and they are as good as new and I expect they will last a lifetime. Plus Diego De Oro's customer service is top notch! Let him know you have a matte finish on your guitar, and he might just send you a free static cling sheet so that you can use it with your guitar. The suction cups are also very secure and they will not come off. You can't go wrong with it
"Success grants its rewards to a few, but is the dream of the multitudes.
Excellence is available to all, but is accepted only by a few." - Christopher Parkening

Emil Krasich

Post by Emil Krasich » Fri Dec 11, 2015 6:27 pm

I've used both and choose the Murata every time now. The guitar is far more stable; you don't have suction cups that can come off unexpectedly; and the guitar will move fluidly with you whether you turn or lean forwards/backwards. I've had my murata for 2 years now and don't see any problems with parts wearing out....yet, but I'm sure that the replacement parts are sold for a reason. Seeing as you have a matte finish, the choice would be obvious to me. I could never get the suction cups to stay on with the static cling strip on my French polished guitar. On my flamenco with lacquer, there was no issue with the suction cups.

The murata might not look as aesthetically pleasing but the comfort and stability outweighs the looks in my opinion. After 27 years of playing classical guitar, I'm happy to have finally found a support that works well for me as foot stools haven't been an option for me for many years. I haven't had good success with suction cup supports as neck stability always seems to be an issue, but the ergoplay was pretty stable.

pogmoor

Post by pogmoor » Fri Dec 11, 2015 6:59 pm

I've used a Murata support as my guitar also has a matte finish. It works well but, for some reason, I don't get on well with it and prefer to use a Dynarette cushion. I think it is because the cushion allows me to be a bit more variable in exactly how I position the guitar. Even with the cushion I generally swap back and forth with a footstool. I've recently installed a Barnett support (secured by magnets) and so far I am very impressed with this.
Eric from GuitarLoot
Renaissance and Baroque freak; classical guitars by Lester Backshall (2008), Ramirez (Guitarra del Tiempo 2017),
Yamaha (SLG 130NW silent classical guitar 2014).

Cao Nguyen

Post by Cao Nguyen » Fri Dec 11, 2015 8:00 pm

So Murata-De Oro 2-2 so far...
Footstool +1, but -infinity from me.

The hooks and bumps on my nails require me to shape them in a very specific way, which in turn forces me to play at a certain angle to the strings that makes my wrist bent. My ideal position is with a very high neck like a cello that I can't achieve with a footstool. I've read it's not possible to get a steep neck angle with Murata (here viewtopic.php?t=82847). I'm thinking of combining it with a footstool at low level to achieve the desired angle. The De Oro probably can provide me the needed angle without a footstool and more adjustability but I don't like suction cups et al, especially with a matte finish.

souldier

Post by souldier » Fri Dec 11, 2015 8:12 pm

The neck angle is quite adjustable with the de oro, and getting it very vertical is no issue. The suction cups aren't too big of an issue for me as they are rock solid and have a very firm grip that has never buckled on me once. Though I've never tried it on a matte finish guitar using static cling, so I can't comment on that. If I were to use anything other than the de oro to avoid the suction cups, it would be the Kris Barnett umbra support that uses magnets.
"Success grants its rewards to a few, but is the dream of the multitudes.
Excellence is available to all, but is accepted only by a few." - Christopher Parkening

Emil Krasich

Post by Emil Krasich » Fri Dec 11, 2015 8:50 pm

Cao Nguyen wrote:So Murata-De Oro 2-2 so far...
Footstool +1, but -infinity from me.

The hooks and bumps on my nails require me to shape them in a very specific way, which in turn forces me to play at a certain angle to the strings that makes my wrist bent. My ideal position is with a very high neck like a cello that I can't achieve with a footstool. I've read it's not possible to get a steep neck angle with Murata (here viewtopic.php?t=82847). I'm thinking of combining it with a footstool at low level to achieve the desired angle. The De Oro probably can provide me the needed angle without a footstool and more adjustability but I don't like suction cups et al, especially with a matte finish.
You can get a longer support rod to increase in inclination of the neck. I use one that is about 1.5" longer than the stock one. Also where you clamp the support on will increase the neck angle.

Cao Nguyen

Post by Cao Nguyen » Fri Dec 11, 2015 9:01 pm

Emil Krasich wrote: You can get a longer support rod to increase in inclination of the neck. I use one that is about 1.5" longer than the stock one. Also where you clamp the support on will increase the neck angle.
Would you be so kind as to post a picture of you holding the guitar at the highest possible angle with the Murata?

DaveinCT

Post by DaveinCT » Fri Dec 18, 2015 2:43 pm

+1 for the De Oro support.

While I play on my right leg, it has eliminated neck pains from straps... it has elevated my guitar neck and improved my playing... Diego is an awesome customer support guy...

Cao Nguyen

Post by Cao Nguyen » Fri Dec 18, 2015 3:01 pm

+1 for the De Oro customer support.

I decided to get a De Oro after consulting with the shop. He will send me a free set of low-tack adhesive plastic sheets as well. Too bad it will take 20-25 business days to ship to my place :(.

Return to “Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists”