Magnet position for Barnett support

Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists, Aches and Pains, Injuries, etc...
Christopher Freitag

Magnet position for Barnett support

Post by Christopher Freitag » Tue Feb 02, 2016 5:16 pm

I've been a happy user of the Barnett support for quite a while. On a few occasions using it with my Gary Lee guitar (which has lined sides), some pressure in the wrong place would make the magnet on the shorter arm "buckle" and come loose. I had that magnet placed where the lower bout is sloping up towards the waist, which meant that if I put any weight on the top of the guitar I was creating a lot of lateral force for that magnet. The exact same placement on my GVR with its unlined sides works perfectly fine with no slippage.

I just did a string change on the Lee and took the opportunity to move that magnet down closer to the widest point of the lower bout: problem solved. Now the force comes down through the short arm almost directly on the magnet. It was a simple matter to adjust the arms so that my playing position is unchanged.

So, the point of all this? If you have a guitar with think sides (cypress lining, etc), do a lot of experimenting before placing your magnets...they are strong, but not omnipotent. Ideally you want the force/weight coming down each arm of the support going directly through the magnet, not pushing it laterally.
Chris Freitag

2013 German Vasquez Rubio Concert Special "Bernardi"; German spruce/Brazilian rosewood
2014 Garrett (Gary) Lee spruce/cedar double top; Brazilian rosewood

tom2977

Re: Magnet position for Barnett support

Post by tom2977 » Tue Feb 02, 2016 7:14 pm

Learnt the same lesson myself.

souldier

Post by souldier » Thu Feb 04, 2016 2:43 pm

I recently got a barnett support and he includes a diagram illustrating the exact thing that you have mentioned. My problem is I find it difficult to get the magnets further down the lower bout since it is such a tight space. What approach do you take?

My other problem I ran into was that when trying to place the magnet with the adhesive strip, the magnet stuck to the side in a crooked position which creates a problem because the support also wants to go on crooked. Anyone have some good tips on a more accurate and effortless installation? I have a new guitar coming in soon and want to make sure I get it right.
"Success grants its rewards to a few, but is the dream of the multitudes.
Excellence is available to all, but is accepted only by a few." - Christopher Parkening

Christopher Freitag

Post by Christopher Freitag » Thu Feb 04, 2016 4:33 pm

souldier wrote:I recently got a barnett support and he includes a diagram illustrating the exact thing that you have mentioned. My problem is I find it difficult to get the magnets further down the lower bout since it is such a tight space. What approach do you take?
I have relatively thin wrists and forearms, so I didn't find it too difficult. It was a question of getting in the correct position. For me, I found it worked best to have the guitar on its back. Also, I had taken off all but the first string.
My other problem I ran into was that when trying to place the magnet with the adhesive strip, the magnet stuck to the side in a crooked position which creates a problem because the support also wants to go on crooked. Anyone have some good tips on a more accurate and effortless installation? I have a new guitar coming in soon and want to make sure I get it right.
The direction that Kris gives to have the support in position on the guitar when you install the magnet helps in this regard as it tends to pull the magnet into the correct position. You might find it helpful to have helper with thin wrists/arms to help.
Chris Freitag

2013 German Vasquez Rubio Concert Special "Bernardi"; German spruce/Brazilian rosewood
2014 Garrett (Gary) Lee spruce/cedar double top; Brazilian rosewood

rob taft

Post by rob taft » Thu Mar 24, 2016 10:37 pm

I have big hands and forearms and I used a set of small kitchen tongs to hold the magnet upright and place it in the position I desired. I also did one leg at a time starting with the forward one. Once the rest contact the magnet the power of the magnet will hold it in place until th e tapes adheres.

Rfm

Post by Rfm » Mon Apr 11, 2016 1:55 pm

Chris,
This is Randy from Barnett Guitar Supports. I'm sorry that you had problems with the lower bout magnet position. From feedback we received from the community, we realized that additional information was needed about the orientation of the lower bout External Magnet Holder in order to avoid the experience you had. Since January of this year, when we received our new shipment of boxes, we've included an 'Installation Addendum' with the Instructions inside each box . It is also included in the PDF of instructions available from BGS website. I've included a screenshot of it here. I hope this new information with the instructions has helped others circumvent the frustration you experienced.
Cheers,
Randy
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists”