foot falling asleep

Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists, Aches and Pains, Injuries, etc...
emeraldvalley

foot falling asleep

Post by emeraldvalley » Tue Mar 08, 2016 7:47 pm

I am having trouble with my foot falling asleep and when i get up after a long practice session it takes a while to adjust I could not just walk off.
Is this related to the height of the stool or is it just a matter of getting up more frequently?

benessa

Re: foot falling asleep

Post by benessa » Fri Mar 11, 2016 2:45 am

This depends on many things: your height, the height of the chair, the height of the footstool, and ultimately, how much pressure you are putting on the foot. Find a chair that is the right height not to cut into the back of your legs. I find that having a cushion that tilts me slightly forward is very comfortable. Then adjust the footstool based on the chair's height. I'm 5'6" and find that chair that is somewhat lower than the standard dining room chair is most comfortable. Finally, be sure you're not bearing down on that leg while playing.
...plain Kate...and sometimes Kate the curst

Evocacion

Post by Evocacion » Fri Mar 11, 2016 2:03 pm

I make a point of getting up and exercising every fifteen minutes - otherwise I also get pins and needles in various parts! And I use a timer to make sure I dont forget.

Kent

Post by Kent » Fri Mar 11, 2016 4:24 pm

Get rid of your footstool.

stevel

Post by stevel » Fri Mar 11, 2016 8:49 pm

Foot? Which foot? Just the foot, or the leg as well?

Debussychopin

Post by Debussychopin » Fri Mar 11, 2016 10:33 pm

Just like other poster said, make it a habit to get up and move your body around frequently. Especially for older people, there can be the issue of forming a clot in the leg or so (which can happen when sitting too long in a plane flight cramped or in a hospital bed for a few weeks ) . Since our playing position is not a really natural stance it is sort of cramped, I would say get it moving. That clot is dangerous. It gets dislodged and if travels up to your brain or heart can cause a stroke or heart attack. Google how many well known people have died from this.

Yamaha GL1

bear

Post by bear » Sat Mar 12, 2016 1:55 pm

Sometimes pants can bunch up a bit and impair circulation. It's happened to me a couple of times. My inconvenience has been foot cramps. Periodically getting up and moving (as already suggested) would probably resolve both. Regarding the falling asleep, I practice in sweat pants instead of jeans.
2013 Jeff Medlin '37 Hauser 640mm sp
2006 Michele Della Giustina Concert 10 string 650mm ce
2005 Jose Ramirez 4E 650mm ce
2005 Manuel Rodriguez Model C3F 650mm sp
2003 Manuel Rodriguez Model D 650mm ce

Debussychopin

Post by Debussychopin » Sat Mar 12, 2016 2:46 pm

Yeah when Im home alone practicing, I have soft cotton sweat pant shorts on (or just my boxers lol TMI ! haha sorry!) hey im sure most other guys will do this when left home alone w their guitar.

Yamaha GL1

Matt2352a

Post by Matt2352a » Tue Mar 22, 2016 11:25 pm

This happens to me too. I find just putting a cushion on the chair (I normally sit on a hard chair to play) usually stops it.

Return to “Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists”