What just happened? Sudden pain in LH pinky while playing

Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists, Aches and Pains, Injuries, etc...
twang

What just happened? Sudden pain in LH pinky while playing

Post by twang » Fri Mar 11, 2016 10:57 pm

So, it was towards the end of my practice this morning, I was good and warmed up. I had just played through a waltz that _requires_ a relaxed left-hand to play successfully. I started playing it again when suddenly pressing a string with my LH pinky caused a sharp pain near the joint closest to the finger tip. Within a couple of minutes it was clear I was done for the day.

It only hurts when pressing with the finger. It doesn't seem swollen. I can bend it just fine. It doesn't hurt to touch the finger. After about an hour I added a splint to prevent accidental irritation. But, after a full day it's not any better. Normally, I wouldn't worry about it, except this is the finger I broke years ago and the very joint where I had mallet-finger.

Any guesses as to what might have happened? (Yes, I'll go see a doc in the morning if it ain't better.)

Dang,
Twang
"An amateur is he who takes up the study of an instrument as a relaxation from his serious occupations." -- Sor

Tom Poore

Re: What just happened? Sudden pain in LH pinky while playing

Post by Tom Poore » Sat Mar 12, 2016 1:05 am

I’m not a doctor, so anything that follows should be read with this in mind.

It may be nothing more than a strained tendon. Unfortunately, it hurts like hell and takes time to heal. About 25 years ago I did this to my left hand first finger while playing the Sor etude in thirds. I reached for a bar and had a sudden shot of pain along the back of my finger. After that, I could still play, but had to be very careful with bar chords. If I did a bar wrong, it was very painful.

The bad side is that it took a long time to heal. There isn’t much blood flow in a tendon, so that slows the healing process. The good side is that I got significantly better at placing bars.

I hope your problem is nothing worse than this.

Tom Poore
South Euclid, OH
USA

Philosopherguy

Re: What just happened? Sudden pain in LH pinky while playing

Post by Philosopherguy » Sat Mar 12, 2016 3:46 am

I've had mysterious pain happen in fingers too. For me it never lasted longer than a couple days and I was back at it. I guess you just have to wait it out and see if it gets better.

I do have a silly question, because this has also happened to me: Do you have any splinters in your fingers? Were you recently working with steel wool or something that might have left something in your skin? Fibre-optic glass? If you get little slivers that you can't see they can be very hard to find and cause pain for a while until they either work themselves out, or get encased in hard skin. Last time I used steel wool this happened to me and my one finger hurt like heck for like a week before either the splinter was gone, or it was just encased or something. Who knows! It eventually went away. Just a thought! It might sound odd, but splinters can manifest pain in strange ways sometimes. Especially if you might have gotten a splinter in the skin that is close to where it naturally flexes, causing it to keep tearing at your skin whenever you do anything to disturb the area.

Good luck! I hope your finger feels better.

Martin

After thought, another thing to check is that your strings aren't throwing off any metal fragments.. I have had this too from older string started to throw little fragments into my skin as I played.
2013 Ramirez 130 Anos - Spruce
2013 Ramirez 4NE - Cedar
1998 Dean Harrington - Spruce
1977 Kuniharu Nobe - Spruce
1971 Yamaha GC3 - Spruce

Return to “Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists”