Bad case of Sciatica - Kills me to sit more than 10 minutes

Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists, Aches and Pains, Injuries, etc...
bauhaus92

Bad case of Sciatica - Kills me to sit more than 10 minutes

Post by bauhaus92 » Sat Mar 19, 2016 5:50 am

Any suggestions until this crap goes away? It's really hampering my practice.

petermc61

Re: Bad case of Sciatica - Kills me to sit more than 10 minutes

Post by petermc61 » Sat Mar 19, 2016 6:28 am

I have exactly the same problem over recent months. I can do about 15 mins max then need at least an hour's break.
First thing - get rid of the footstool if you use one. I got a de Oro support, far better ergonomics. Next I bought an Original Guitar Chair, which provides excellent lower back support and makes you sit up straight.

There have been helpful for me.

Isabelle Frizac
Teacher

Post by Isabelle Frizac » Sat Mar 19, 2016 9:00 am

Perhaps also a doctor, a physiotherapist ?

I use a Gitano, placed on the lower splint guitar, and the back remains straight.
index.jpg
:bye:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
keep hope !
Bastien Burlot 2014" special anniversary" n°1, Pappalardo 1982, Antonio Ruiz Lopez 1974, and other instruments ...;-)

simonm

Post by simonm » Sat Mar 19, 2016 10:47 am

petermc61 wrote:...
First thing - get rid of the footstool if you use one. ....
+1

Seems to be a trend here. :-) There is nothing natural about having one leg in a weird position for hours. Even worse than flying long distance in a budget airline's "economy" class.

Consider a strap and play standing up. If you ignore classical players for a moment, the majority of the guitar players in the world play standing up at least some of the time. Putting a strap on is simply a matter of drilling two holes and putting in buttons to attach the strap. Or one button and tie the other end of the strap to the headstock. Alternatively a straps that clips into the sound hole. Check out AndreiKrylov's posts here in particular.

Certain simple stretching exercises can give some relief - I was shown two and a relaxation position by a physiotherapist decades ago and it helps immensely. I won't describe them as you need some one to show you.

bauhaus92

Post by bauhaus92 » Sun Mar 20, 2016 2:15 am

Thanks for the excellent suggestions - For sure i'm getting a guitar chair - I do already have a ergo play tappert and love it.

mverive

Post by mverive » Sun Mar 20, 2016 3:58 am

Without knowing the cause of your sciatica, it's difficult to make specific recommendations, but physical therapy can go a long way towards facilitating recovery (I speak as a physician and a former sciatica sufferer). See your physician to determine the cause of your sciatica and best mode of treatment.

I hope you have a speedy and complete recovery!

Mike
"(P)Lay on, MacDuff, And damn'd be him that first cries, 'Hold, enough!'"

simonm

Post by simonm » Sun Mar 20, 2016 10:19 am

bauhaus92 wrote:… I do already have a ergo play tappert and love it …..
If you are using an ergo play (or similar support) without a footstool and still getting sciatica then it may be time to consider playing standing with a strap and a visit to the physiotherapist might be a very good idea.

Joe de V

Post by Joe de V » Sun Mar 20, 2016 7:14 pm

Look up trhe "BackJoy" Orthotics web page or the reviews by people who have use them at Amazon web site. I have one and it has help me sit a bit longer without any strain on my back, In addition I have ordered a PC "computer desk-top stand" where you place the PC at your eye level while standing up working with your PC. Two things may happens.1: Your back is standing more straight and 2: Very liekly you will spent less overall time in front of your computer,(which according to my wife could be a blessing in disguise).

Tstrembu

Post by Tstrembu » Sun Mar 20, 2016 10:47 pm

I agree with mverive, see your physician first and ask about physical therapy. It can be very helpful and give you tools for preventing reocurrence.

If "structural" issues (i.e. disc herniation, etc) are ruled out, you may want to ask about acupuncture and/or dry needling. The usual suspects to evaluate are the psoas, quadratus lumborum, longissimus, iliocostalis, glutes (minimus/medius/maximus), piriformis and hamstring muscles.

I am an acupuncturist that also practices dry needling. I successfully worked with many sciatica patients and have suffered from it myself.

AndreiKrylov

Post by AndreiKrylov » Sun Mar 20, 2016 11:33 pm

bauhaus92 wrote:Any suggestions until this crap goes away? It's really hampering my practice.
I am playing with strap and standing for years and years and one of the reason - because I do not have back pain this way.
I had a topic about this in ergonomics and promoted it here on forum.
Please try!
I recorded many albums playing standing :)

bauhaus92

Post by bauhaus92 » Mon Mar 21, 2016 3:39 pm

AndreiKrylov wrote:
bauhaus92 wrote:Any suggestions until this crap goes away? It's really hampering my practice.
I am playing with strap and standing for years and years and one of the reason - because I do not have back pain this way.
I had a topic about this in ergonomics and promoted it here on forum.
Please try!
I recorded many albums playing standing :)
I just watched a couple of your videos - excellent ur Sheep May Safely Graze is amazing - You look extremely comfortable playing standing up I will definitely try that. Fortunately my Sciatica comes and goes so I'm not like others who have it chronically but since I just recently took up classical guitar its been a struggle during my lessons to sit a full hour.

Kevin Clark
Amateur luthier

Post by Kevin Clark » Sun May 22, 2016 3:17 pm

Hi Bauhaus, have you thought about one of those acoustic guitar stands that hold the guitar in a standing position? I have back problems and after reading this thread I just thought of Alex Lifeson of Rush playing live with one of these!
I think I'm definitely going to try one and no need to drill holes for a strap!

Return to “Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists”