Custom footrest

Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists, Aches and Pains, Injuries, etc...
Doug Crosswell

Custom footrest

Post by Doug Crosswell » Fri Mar 25, 2016 3:53 pm

So I am thinking about buying a custom wooden footrest to go along with my wonderful Hofner hm88 and original guitar chair .

I been using my cheap black metal footrest for 2 years now and want to get something that is far more comfortable and adjustable .

I have tried using a dynarette cushion , but it didn't work for me so guitar footrests have worked well for me and more comfortable with them .

Can anyone make any recommendations ?

celestemcc

Re: Custom footrest

Post by celestemcc » Fri Mar 25, 2016 9:03 pm

In general, when I was using footstools, I found the metal ones to be far more adjustable than the "prettier" wooden ones. If you want to stick with a footstool, you'll find lots of brands even on Amazon.

There are so many other non-footstool supports than Dynarette cushions by far; search the forum for them. It's pretty much a matter of what suits you best physically. I personally love the DeOro, but there's lots of supports, and lots of opinions, out there. You may have to try a few!

Try this link as well, in this forum: viewtopic.php?t=31238
2015 Connor spruce/Indian rosewood
1978 Ramirez 1a cedar

ronjazz

Post by ronjazz » Sat Mar 26, 2016 7:56 pm

If you use the same chair all the time, you should measure the ideal footrest height, and have somebody make you one, or go to an antique shop and find one. I had one that a church I played a concert in gave me; it was padded and covered with nice embroidered material, and I used it for years for practicing. It was impractical for traveling, though.
Lester Devoe Flamenco Negra
Lester Devoe Flamenco Blanca
Aparicio Flamenco Blanca with RMC pickup
Bartolex 7-string with RMC pickup
Giannini 7-string with Shadow pickup
Sal Pace 7-string archtop

johnd

Post by johnd » Sat Mar 26, 2016 8:44 pm

When my kids were small we bought a foot stool to sit by the bathroom sink so it was easy for them to brush their teeth. Works great as a foot stool for playing the guitar.

Pile up a bunch of books to a comfortable height for playing a guitar-measure that height and go to foot stool store and buy one to fit your specs or
Spend $100 to have some one make one for you.

Which ever you decide, I don't think it is going make any noticeable improvement in your playing although you will be more comfortable!!!!!

Of course it will make a difference in the weight of you wallet.

Return to “Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists”