TPGS+ Guitar Support - PHOTOS ADDED

Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists, Aches and Pains, Injuries, etc...
dwtrux

TPGS+ Guitar Support - PHOTOS ADDED

Post by dwtrux » Wed May 18, 2016 9:30 pm

I have used footstools and a large Dynette cushion. They work but both have their drawbacks. I like to keep my feet flat on the floor for my back and I find that the cushion tends to squirm out of position during a longer piece. So, I was on the look out for a new guitar support.

I purchased the Tenor [mfgr name, not vocal range] Professional Guitar Support [TPGS+] from Amazon for under $30 a few weeks back. I am quite pleased with the way it works and adjusts. There are suction cups involved, but so far no apparent problems on my nitrocellulose lacquered finish. I remove it each time I play. The suction cups go on easily, hold well and remove quickly. It can be adjusted so the guitar top can be angled somewhat up, by positioning the suction cups at an angle on the guitar side [one lower than the other]. The support really folds down flat and is small enough to fit into the case pocket easily.

Thought I would post a newish product here for those still looking for the right positioning tool since I am very pleased with it.

Doug

Added the pictures below. The leg material is two velcro strips that can be adjusted tighter or looser to help angle the next up more or less. I have enjoyed using this simple device.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Noonesperfect

Re: TPGS+ Guitar Support - PHOTOS ADDED

Post by Noonesperfect » Sun Jun 19, 2016 9:36 pm

You've had this for an entire month <g> - any updates? Based on the reviews on the Amazon site, I ordered one also. It hasn't arrived yet, but once it does, I'll add my impressions too.

italian_job

Post by italian_job » Mon Jun 20, 2016 9:55 pm

I bought one but I couldn't leave with it, I found it a bit unstable as all the gitano style supports.
But that's matter of taste and playing style, it was very practical though as it would fit in the case or in my pocket!

souldier

Post by souldier » Mon Jun 20, 2016 10:36 pm

So far my favorite suction cup solution is the de oro classica support. Feels very stable
"Success grants its rewards to a few, but is the dream of the multitudes.
Excellence is available to all, but is accepted only by a few." - Christopher Parkening

dwtrux

Post by dwtrux » Wed Jun 29, 2016 12:49 pm

I have used it on three different guitars. I find it is very portable and provides you with adjustable angles for any chair I sit in. Lately, I haven't been using it much as I am practicing in the same room with the same chair and cushion combo. Overall, I am pleased.

No permanent markings on my lacquered guitar, but I remove it immediately had wipe down as you can see some smudges where the suction cups and bumpers were. I also put a polishing cloth between the rubber bumpers and the guitar. On my Pavan, which must have a different finish, there is never any markings once the suction cups are removed.

Paul Janssen

Post by Paul Janssen » Wed Jun 29, 2016 1:54 pm

souldier wrote:So far my favorite suction cup solution is the de oro classica support. Feels very stable
I've been very happy with my De Oro Classica stand as well. I don't feel I want for anything else. My son now uses it too and finds it equally as good.

Jack Douglas

Post by Jack Douglas » Wed Jun 29, 2016 3:20 pm

I received a TPGS support as a gift and I love it. I use a dynarette and footstool in my practice, but if I go to another location with them they are cumbersome to deal with. The TPGS support lays flat, is easy to carry and the suction cups don't hurt the French polish or pop off. It's also more stable and lighter than other guitar supports I've tried. It's an all around good product.
Richard Brune 'Artist' Cedar/Brazilian 1996

Noonesperfect

Post by Noonesperfect » Wed Jun 29, 2016 5:30 pm

An update : I've been using the support for a week or so now, and it is a vast improvement over a footrest for me. The only problem I have had is that the strap that rests on my left leg isn't tacky in any way, so the guitar tends to slide forward toward my knee while I am playing. I'm sure there is a simple fix for that, but in the meantime, playing is more comfortable and easier than before. FWIW, I do remove the support when it is not in use, and there are no marks on the guitar from using the support (at least so far). My guitar is not exactly high end, so I don't worry too much about appearances, but who wants to do unnecessary damage, right?

PaulHintz

Post by PaulHintz » Fri Jul 01, 2016 3:05 am

Thanks to both the OPs for their helpful reviews, and to the first OP for the excellent pictures. I've used the Neck-Up suction cup support for years, and all my guitars, and it's very nice but kind of bulky to pack in my teaching-guitar gig bag. The TPGS looks like a perfect solution, and I'd never heard of it till now. Much obliged!
"In all human work, the wise look for virtues and fools look for flaws." Jose Ramirez I

Return to “Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists”