Carpal Tunnel diagnosis

Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists, Aches and Pains, Injuries, etc...
George Crocket

Re: Carpal Tunnel diagnosis

Post by George Crocket » Sun Aug 14, 2016 8:13 am

Hi Roberto. Welcome to the forum and thanks for your contribution. You have not violated any regulations, but we do require new members to introduce themselves here.
George
2010 Stephen Eden spruce/cocobolo classical guitar
2012 Stephen Eden cedar/IRW classical guitar

andi33x

Post by andi33x » Sun Aug 14, 2016 11:48 am

Hi all,
reading about CTS it is obvious that this situation can have many many causes which cannot all be covered by the standard medicin.

My story after having trouble with CTS symptoms and other pains is the following: 2 years ago I had this condition and ignored it in the first time. But as it got stronger I searched for a solution for myself an finally found the trigger point therapy by Clair and Amber Davies. Unfortunately this method is not known by many doctors although this might be different in other areas of the world. I got the workbook for this method and studied it.

The trigger points are small points in a muscle where the muscle has a very high tension. The key is that they cause pains and symptoms in (sometimes totally) different parts of the body. It is quite easy to understand. The tension leads to a contraction at this point and can have an influence at other places where this muscle has connections. Now, in the case of the CTS they say that it is often caused by trigger points in the "Mm. scaleni". These are 3 muscles which are located near the throat.
After looking up the internet for these muscles it became obvious to me that "working with a computer" and "playing guitar" are hot candidates for overstressing the "Mm. scaleni", leading to trigger points and at the end to CTS symptoms.

Finally, indeed I was able to stop the condition completely by treating trigger points in this area. In my case it was a hit in the bull's-eye. However, people are different. These trigger points at the throat are not the only ones leading to CTS. And the method only works when the reason for the pain really are trigger points! But in all it is worth considering!
There is nothing more beautiful than the sound of a guitar - maybe aside from that of two guitars (Frederic Chopin)

Anthony Campanella

Post by Anthony Campanella » Sun Aug 14, 2016 12:12 pm

A diagnosis isn't complete until a cause is identified
I've had CTS and hand/arm numbness
CTS caused by typing for long hours over years in an unfavorable position
Re-positioning alleviated that over time
Arm/hand numbness caused by sleeping with my head on my arm/ hands clenched
Took some years to identify the cause and more years to develop better sleep habits

Return to “Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists”