Sitting Position, crossleg vs foot rest

Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists, Aches and Pains, Injuries, etc...
okdaysdays

Post by okdaysdays » Thu Nov 02, 2006 1:11 am

i jsut usually sit normally with my legs spread apart and have the guitar rest on my leg while my feet are both touching the ground

Merlin5p0

Post by Merlin5p0 » Thu Nov 02, 2006 2:17 am

I usually play on the left leg with a footstool, but sometimes I use the crossed leg postion it i get lazy. I find it works just as well as the 'standard' position.

Blossom

Post by Blossom » Thu Nov 02, 2006 7:11 am

owl wrote:LOL Blossom... I'm glad you clarified that statement :wink: ...................I was just about to fly in and say :shock: WHAAAT!!!?
:ride: Indeed! I noticed that error when I came back to read the new posts...and then thought, that can't be right :reflechir: :wink:

Blossom

goodtone

Post by goodtone » Thu Nov 02, 2006 12:00 pm

as kfisherx said it all depends where you want to go with this. I learnt playing classical before any other style and had a good teacher who taught me the classic sitting position with my left leg up on a foot stool. This has served me well over the years and I haven't found any problems with this. From time to time however I also play with the guitar resting on my right leg up on the footstool but I'm aware of it's limitations. It's fine when I'm playing something in the lower positions but once I need to reach notes above the 12th fret then I find I'm straining my back and shoulders to get around to the notes and if I do this for any period of time will end up with aching neck or shoulders.
Yes, I'm sure there are people who can play just about anything cross legged or with the guitar on the right knee - but why make life difficult ?
I would recommend, for learning classical, that you adopt the classic sitting position with the left leg up on a footstool - or use a guitar cushion if you find sitting with your leg up causes tension.

GT

ljerams

Post by ljerams » Thu Nov 02, 2006 4:43 pm

I normally sit on a low stool with the guitar across my right leg. The only problem is that the right hand doesn't naturally fall to the correct position and is nearer to the fretboard than it should be.

For new students I would definitely recommend them to adopt the traditional method of footstool and left leg.

Nacio de Falla

Post by Nacio de Falla » Sat Nov 11, 2006 11:22 pm

When playing flamenco or flamenco sounding stuff, jazz or what have ya......................i go back and forth from a traditional flamenco holding style to the modern crossed legged one..............

When playing classical or my multi-stringed guitars..........i use the regular classical between the legs style...............

they all work just fine to me............ :)

RamblinJackAllen

Post by RamblinJackAllen » Sun Nov 12, 2006 8:54 pm

I've had some trouble as a beginner finding a comfortable posture as well. I'm trying very hard to adopt the so-called correct position, left leg, but I'm keeping the guitar at the right angle by using a cushion on my leg instead of a footstool. Things are starting to feel better this way, so I might invest in a Dynarette soon. Early on I was feeling the tug of carpal tunnel problems, but they seem to be resolving with this new strategy.

Funny how as a casual player I never realized how important posture and position really are!

Johnston

Post by Johnston » Mon Nov 13, 2006 5:25 am

When I don't have a footstool with me I realize that I just naturally started crossing my leg over when playing, didn't know there were many others doing the same.

dk

Post by dk » Wed Nov 22, 2006 7:50 pm

The most healthy way is with foot rest. Now you may not have difficultys playing any other way. But you have to think 20 years ahead. The guitar playing is unnatural enough.

marduk

Post by marduk » Thu Nov 23, 2006 2:46 am

Yes its a big deal, and yes you should force yourself to play CG with a footstool. When I was just starting to play CG I also found it comfortable sitting crosslegged while playing with this posture I never played fast enough and when I adapted the correct posture with a footstool my playing increased 50% faster and I can go much faster if I wanted to.

Alan Green

Post by Alan Green » Thu Nov 23, 2006 8:32 am

I just got into using the Ergoplay - it brings the guitar up to a higher position on the chest (which is where I want to play it) and I can sit with both feet flat on the floor (which is comfortable).

I'm also working through the Graf-Martinez flamenco method, and find that (initially at least) I'm getting best results using a footstool under my right foot (for right-handed play).

Maybe I'm just a wierdo.

Alan

URL4n0t4found

Post by URL4n0t4found » Fri Nov 24, 2006 5:23 pm

I tried that thingy which rests on your leg today, but I didn't like it, so I keep to the old footrest. I'd just need to buy some cloth (maybe leather?) now to lay it on the leg to prevent the guitar from slipping away. I just have absolutely no clue where to get one...

Greetz,

€dit: typos
Last edited by URL4n0t4found on Sat Nov 25, 2006 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

owl

Post by owl » Fri Nov 24, 2006 11:59 pm

404... use a piece of chamois leather if you can find it... an auto store maybe.
Or you can use a piece of the non slip rubber mesh matting found in camping stores... it's used under bits and pieces in boats and trailers to stop them from sliding around (lol the bits and pieces that is) :roll:

Just remember NEVER to leave it lying against your guitar though... it could stick, or react with the finish.

Owl
Never, ever give up!... I leave my songprint on your heart.

Fingerboard

Post by Fingerboard » Sat Nov 25, 2006 12:34 am

I've tried using ergoplay but (in my humble opinion) found it inconvenient. I also fear for the finish of my beloved CG. I still stick to the good old footstool.

404... I agree with Owl. I put a small piece of non-slip matting on my left leg to prevent the CG from slipping. I bought the matting from the kitchenware section in a local supermarket. :D Mine is black but it looks something like this:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

flashchudder

Post by flashchudder » Sat Nov 25, 2006 7:10 pm

out of laziness, i sometimes play w/ the guitar on the right leg while sitting cross legged. ultimately, this can cause tendenitous in the left wrist after some time. any bend in the wrist is ergonomically dangerous besides the fact that it can slow you down and make for sloppier technique. it also causes the right hand to be out of place while finger picking and risks developing problems in that hand/wrist as well. if you dont plan on taking classical too far in life you might be fine, but definately the foot stool method is the most preventative method. it does take a little bit getting used to, but youll never regret saving your wrists

Return to “Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists”