Holding the guitar near-vertical

Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists, Aches and Pains, Injuries, etc...
LarryShone
Student of the online lessons

Re: Holding the guitar near-vertical

Post by LarryShone » Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:34 pm

Then there is this, called a Brahms guitar, it uses an end pin, like a cello. When you look at it being played it makes sense!

Surround yourself with people dear James, they are easier to fight for than principles.
José Ferrer Estudiante 5208A
Fender DG 5 acoustic
Tanglewood DBLT SFCE electro-acoustic
Tanglewood TU 13M concert ukulele
Brunswick Baritone ukulele
Deacon Mandolin

Conall

Post by Conall » Sat Apr 28, 2018 6:42 pm

LarryShone wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:34 pm
Then there is this, called a Brahms guitar, it uses an end pin, like a cello. When you look at it being played it makes sense!

I've tried a similar vertical position and it has some benefits. Obviously easy LH access to the fingerboard is the main one & the endpin makes a footstool or guitar support redundant (though Galbraith uses 2 footstools! - but that wouldn't be necessary without the resonance box at the feet). The right arm & hand & fingers are free too - great for avoiding pressure on the arm, allowing freer resonance of the guitar body & freer access to different timbral points on the strings.

I did find (and it sounds like Galbraith does too) that the sound produced by the nails, while bright, is slightly harder because the angle of the right hand is more perpendicular to the strings than the more melllow sound produced by the customary diagonal angle of classical guitarists.

Galbraith's position is also very good for checking whether you have great control of tension & RH technique & lack of undesirable additional tension in your right shoulder, arm, wrist, hands & fingers. I found it didn't take long to get used to the right arm but the left arm got tired quickly. You definitely need an endpin too as holding the lower bout between the legs doesn't really work.

Luis_Br

Post by Luis_Br » Mon May 14, 2018 11:57 pm

I play with guitar in Galbraith style. I made lessons with the other guy who played together with Galbraith in the BGQ for more than 10 years and decided to play also in the vertical position. I learnt from my teacher how to get Galbraith posture without footstool or pin. Check him playing in this video without Galbraith's apparatus (first from left). There is an Ergoplay in the back of the guitar to achieve this:

Romero is an amazing player, he plays with a lot of ease, I can't find a modern player who could be better than him technically. Some play very light and with ease in those modern bad sounding guitars. Let them play in a classical guitar like Romero's, to fulfill a good theater...

But I don't think Romero is right on LH being worse in vertical. First, in traditional position there is no gravity helping the pressing (gravitiy is perpendicular to neck in this one). In a total vertical position there is no gravity help either. On the other hand, if you let guitar lay down a bit, soundboard up, like Galbraith, then it is the only way gravity is really helping for the pressing in some way. But I don't think gravity is that much important. Inner muscle tensions and proper dissociation control are the regular problem.

We must also be very careful with the vertical posture. Hand really shouldn't need to go too high, nor twisting forearm too much, shoulder should be relaxed. Wrong vertical posture also generate a lot of problems. I had two friends who tried vertical position alone and quickly developed health problems in shoulder and elbow, but they clearly did it the wrong way.

Return to “Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists”