Neck and shoulder muscle tension when practicing

Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists, Aches and Pains, Injuries, etc...
Stan

Re: Neck and shoulder muscle tension when practicing

Post by Stan » Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:00 am

AndreiKrylov wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:21 am
Stan wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:38 am
AndreiKrylov wrote:
Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:42 pm

well..
you can play guitar sitting, sure.
but you asked about "Neck and shoulder muscle tension when practicing"
- this and other back etc problems comes usually because of non ergonomic sitting position.
sitting with guitar is hard on one's back.. by definition
but others gave you advice like that: "button on your guitar as it would totally de-value the instrument for a serious classical guitarist" - and this is not just ignorant, but insulting...
that is why I wrote about blind...
I thank you for your advice and taking the time to try and help me. I wasn't kidding about my lack of knowledge about classical guitar. Although I have played (not seriously) steel string acoustic guitar for many years, classical guitar is completely different from my point of view. To play classical guitar correctly it's almost like a whole new instrument. It is MUCH more involved than I thought. Plus I do not read notation and that is a whole other facet of learning. But I am committed and determined to learn. Heck, I can barely play cowboy chords with my thumb in the right position. It's like starting all over again but I LOVE it. I will try a strap and try practicing standing and sitting with a strap. I have two classical guitars now, a Yamaha G50 that does have and endpin and the G.V. Rubio Estudio that I just bought without one. I am not ruling out having an endpin installed. I guess it's just such a nice guitar that I am hesitant to change it. But the point is not how the guitar looks at all, it's about me learning. So if that will help me I'll do it. I have ordered a Tenuto brace to see if that helps. I still think that a large part of my tensing up is because I am so focused on playing slowly and using proper technique on my left and my right hand. This is a whole new experience for me and I am really enjoying the challenge. I'll never be a master at classical guitar but I will enjoy learning and improving. I live about an hour from a university with a good school of music and the professor in charge of guitar has recommended four of his current or former students who can instruct me and I am going to contact them next week and see if I can determine which one is willing to take on a 63 year old with a lot of bad habits to unlearn. I am very appreciative of your advice. Thanks again for taking the time to respond and advise me.
Thanks for your nice answer!
As I wrote - for sure you can play sitting in standard position.
Standing or using a strap is just a possible option to try if you have pain or other feeling of discomfort etc.
It helped me - because I simply had such a pain in my back that I could not play in standard position anymore...I played sitting for long time... 25 years maybe, for 4-6-8 hours every day...
so for me was no other option rather than using strap...
But it is not remedy for all situations.. it may help you ...or may not...
But it is as normal and convenient to play with strap - as playing in standard position sitting, except it is easier for back and gives possibility to me to play for hours without losing concentration.
And I was able to do immense amount off music work, recording, composing while standing with guitar... But what works for one may not work for other...
I hope that these students will help you!
Good luck with your guitar journey!
Thank you. I subscribe to your channel and listened to some of your music on Youtube and it is very humbling that someone with your talent and ability will take the time to help a beginner like me. That is what I like about this website, the support and willingness of guitarists of your caliber to encourage others.
The steam that blows the whistle never turns the wheel.

Return to “Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists”