sitting position

Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists, Aches and Pains, Injuries, etc...
RenaissanceMan

Re: sitting position

Post by RenaissanceMan » Tue May 01, 2018 9:53 am

Judy Verbeeten wrote:
Tue May 01, 2018 1:40 am
philip caldwell wrote:
Sun Apr 22, 2018 11:00 am
As a self taught classical guitarist the one 'big' thing I have never done is use the standard sitting position with a footstool and the guitar on the left thigh. However just lately I thought I ought to try and start using it. I could see advantages to it but I just cannot use that position ! I honestly don't know how any of you DO use it. In that position the guitar is very unstable . it wants to slide down the right leg or fall forward. My right arm has to hold it in place . I have the guitar at the correct angle with the headstock around eye level but the fingerboard feels miles away ( of course I would expect the position to feel a little strange at first).
Anyway, If anyone has any useful advice on this I'd appreciate it. I was wondering about the ergoplay guitar support. Would they be any different? What do you think?
Phillip, I have seen many classical guitarists use grip strips on their leg to prevent the guitar from slipping off. I was going to purchase the Oasis Grip Strip (from Strings By Mail) for a grand total of $9.95 for the very slippage problem you describe. However, I was having back problems and gave up on my foot stool. I purchased the Sagewood Barnett Guitar Support and absolutely love it (I purchased it from Strings by Mail). It is similar to the Ergoplay support, in terms of what it does,(i.e., an angled support) but I opted for the magnetic Sagewood Barnett Guitar Support to protect the veneer on my guitar. The suction cups of the Ergoplay can wear down the veneer of the guitar.
I once bought that support too but NEVER could get accustomed playing with it. I found very, very uncomfortable and gave that thing to another
Guitarist for free who, as you are, very happy with it.

Forgot to mention: What I did notice was that my Guitar sounded louder when playing with that thing.
Ramirez 1a 1979 cedar top

Judy Verbeeten
Student of the online lessons

Post by Judy Verbeeten » Tue May 01, 2018 11:32 am

Kmurdick, I have just downloaded your excellent playlist of 14 short, precise and very informative video clips. For a returning guitarist, like myself, reviewing the fundamentals at the get-go, is so helpful.

Thank you for making and sharing these most helpful videos. Much appreciated.
Judy
Last edited by Judy Verbeeten on Tue May 01, 2018 9:04 pm, edited 3 times in total.

philip caldwell

Post by philip caldwell » Tue May 01, 2018 6:22 pm

Judy Verbeeten wrote:
Tue May 01, 2018 11:32 am
kmurdick wrote:
Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:49 pm
philip caldwell wrote:
Sun Apr 22, 2018 11:00 am
As a self taught classical guitarist the one 'big' thing I have never done is use the standard sitting position with a footstool and the guitar on the left thigh. However just lately I thought I ought to try and start using it. I could see advantages to it but I just cannot use that position ! I honestly don't know how any of you DO use it. In that position the guitar is very unstable . it wants to slide down the right leg or fall forward. My right arm has to hold it in place . I have the guitar at the correct angle with the headstock around eye level but the fingerboard feels miles away ( of course I would expect the position to feel a little strange at first).
Anyway, If anyone has any useful advice on this I'd appreciate it. I was wondering about the ergoplay guitar support. Would they be any different? What do you think?
How you hold the guitar is more of a set of principles than it is a set of instructions or what device you use. You have to to ask yourself what it is you are trying to accomplish. My video below might help.

I have just downloaded your excellent playlist of 14 short, precise and very informative video clips. For a returning guitarist, like myself, reviewing the fundamentals at the get-go, is so helpful.

Judy
Judy I think you ought to edit you post and take out the video. It's not necessary to post the video again. it also looks a bit messy having my post in there doesn't it, as it isn't relevant to yours?

soltirefa

Post by soltirefa » Tue May 01, 2018 6:59 pm

Have you ever heard of a squatty potty? It looks like it'd be a good way to raise your legs when you have a chair that's too tall.

Judy Verbeeten

Post by Judy Verbeeten » Tue May 01, 2018 7:55 pm

Philip, I was not sure about the protocol vis-a-vis whether I should include the post I am replying to. I agree with you about editing out the video, but I thought using the quotes was an all-or-nothing thing.

In the future, I will just hit the quick reply, if my response does not depend on the previous posting. A few missteps as I learn the ropes on this board.

I have edited my previous post. Definitely, looks cleaner and better. Thanks for the advice.

Best, Judy.

philip caldwell

Post by philip caldwell » Tue May 01, 2018 8:56 pm

Judy Verbeeten wrote:
Tue May 01, 2018 11:32 am
Philip, I have just downloaded your excellent playlist of 14 short, precise and very informative video clips. For a returning guitarist, like myself, reviewing the fundamentals at the get-go, is so helpful.

Judy
They aren't mine

Judy Verbeeten

Post by Judy Verbeeten » Tue May 01, 2018 9:06 pm

Yes, got loss in the post shuffles. I corrected the post and correctly thanked Kmurdick for the excellent videos.

guit-box

Post by guit-box » Wed May 02, 2018 3:12 pm

Some people like a rubber shelf liner (or similar material) on their legs to stop the slipping. I learned about them from Jason Vieux. I have problems with the traditional footstool sitting position too. Now that I'm older and have low back issues, a footstool is too hard on my back. I like the position a high footstool creates to raise the neck and put my right hand more perpendicular to the strings, but it causes other problems. Having the forearm dig into the edge of the guitar feels terrible. I've tried padded sleeves and an arm rest and those work but it's still not ideal. I've been using a strap and I like that but the guitar is not as still as I'd like. The Paul Gallbraith solution seems like it could work, but it's kinda extreme to install a cello end pin on the guitar or have an instrument built with fanned frets.
An eyewitness will often only see what he already believes to be true.

BethFR

Post by BethFR » Wed May 23, 2018 7:57 pm

Sometimes I find sitting sideways on the steps, without any other support, is the most comfortable position. Not very practical, though. Mostly I use a dynarette, but I have a hard time finding a chair that is exact right height for me (I'm really short). The footstool gave me back trouble, and I like having both feet flat on the ground. I use the rubber shelf liner on both sides.

RenaissanceMan

Post by RenaissanceMan » Wed May 23, 2018 8:07 pm

BethFR wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 7:57 pm
Sometimes I find sitting sideways on the steps, without any other support, is the most comfortable position. Not very practical, though. Mostly I use a dynarette, but I have a hard time finding a chair that is exact right height for me (I'm really short). The footstool gave me back trouble, and I like having both feet flat on the ground. I use the rubber shelf liner on both sides.
"....but I have a hard time finding a chair that is exact right height for me (I'm really short). "

So why not making your own chair? I did that and I worked out fine.
Ramirez 1a 1979 cedar top

BethFR

Post by BethFR » Sun May 27, 2018 8:36 pm

RenaissanceMan wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 8:07 pm

So why not making your own chair? I did that and I worked out fine.

'cause the only power tool I know how to operate is an electric guitar.

Return to “Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists”