Numbness in left foot; use of footstool

Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists, Aches and Pains, Injuries, etc...
AndreiKrylov

Re: Numbness in left foot; use of footstool

Post by AndreiKrylov » Thu Jun 28, 2018 3:18 pm

Fretnot wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 11:44 am
Hello! (Having read through other threads - I am not after medical advice but was wondering about other people’s experience)

I use a footstool to raise my left leg and support the guitar. I also tend to raise the heel of my left foot to raise the guitar higher. It doesn’t feel right sitting low. In the past week I have noticed numbness in the front of the foot and toes consistent with where pressure is applied when sat practising. Has anybody else had similar and what did you do to resolve this please?

I am going to find a lower seat and have also worn footware with a heel so the pressure distribution in the foot is different (the latter has not changed the numbness). I am of the philosophy that I should try to work out a few things before seeing a GP. I understand that numbness is a concern and the primary cause for this in feet is inappropriate pressure points.

Phew! Bit longer than I planned for! Thanks in anticipation
classical guitar playing with footstool is hard on your body...
please try to use strap!
i had a theme here about it...- there is a lot of info there.

robin loops

Re: Numbness in left foot; use of footstool

Post by robin loops » Thu Jun 28, 2018 5:58 pm

I had the same issue. In my case it was related to pressure on the bottom of the leg causing a pinched nerve or circulation issue. Adding a thin memory foam cushion to my (padded) chair solved the problem. Switching to a (padded) round stool eliminated the need for a memory cushion.
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them, One Ring to bring them all, and in the darkness bind them.
-James-

Return to “Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists”