Guitar Supports: if you could pick only one, what would you use?

Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists, Aches and Pains, Injuries, etc...
Scott Phillips

Re: Guitar Supports: if you could pick only one, what would you use?

Post by Scott Phillips » Thu Aug 02, 2018 2:57 am

ruizpipo wrote:
Thu Aug 02, 2018 1:20 am
After trying many, many supports, I currently use the Murata.
Just curious, what do you like about the murata vs the suction cup types. I have a Murata coming in the mail. Does the clamp ever come loose during play? I’ve had a suction cup come loos in the middle of use before. With the ergo play supports it’s all about clean surfaces.

Scott Phillips

Post by Scott Phillips » Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:22 am

My Murata came today, and it is the perfect height for me to sit on the floor with. Much more secure than the ergo plays, at least in as far as it attaches to the guitar. Wish they made the part that goes on the top of the leg for fat people. It’s definitely made for the more svelte guitar player.

The clamp is really well thought out. It just takes finger-tight pressure to hold the guitar in the clamp. And I like that the guitar can swivel for left/right hand use. I’m glad that it was half of what it cost new. I think the guys at classical guitar night might find it interesting. So far among the local CG friends, it’s either Tappert, or Barnett/Sageworks.

Peter Frary

Post by Peter Frary » Fri Aug 03, 2018 4:57 am

If I could only have one, it would be the Dynarette cushion. I used a Dynarette for over 20 years but started using a Gitano last year and love it: tiny, adjustable angle, simple to attach and I leave it semi-permanently attached to my gig and teaching guitars (but not to my concert instruments). Love pulling my Hirade from the bag and simply unfolding the Gitano to play. I still use the Dynarette on my French polish instruments as it's kinder to finishes than suction cups. It's also more comfy than the Gitano or a foot stool.

I also sometimes use a strap and stand up to play for gigs and classroom teaching.
I play a Tiny Tenor 6 so I look taller on stage!

ruizpipo

Post by ruizpipo » Sat Aug 04, 2018 10:51 pm

I'm glad you were able to get a good deal on the Murata and find it to your liking, Laudiesdad69. I agree the part that sits on the leg is not the greatest, but the clamp that attaches to the guitar is really what makes it the best support for me. I really hate suction cups! They don't hold the support to the guitar strongly enough, they go bad over time and leave annoying marks on the guitar's body. Keep in mind you can get different length poles for the Murata if you like more or less space between your guitar and your leg.

Scott Phillips

Post by Scott Phillips » Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:26 am

So far I am really liking the Murata, although there does seem to be a learning curve to it. It’s a little fiddly, but once it is secured it is really secured. The length of the pole that the previous owner had is perfect.

I like to sit cross-legged on the floor to play, and the height adjustment is just right. The same as my ergoplay. I still like the Tappert for when I am sitting in a chair but, the Murata is just about the same height wise. I guess that I really am on the fence. If I were using it in a performance, I would have to choose the Murata. But it had better be a short performance, because after awhile, the hard-curved leg rest isn’t comfortable. Murata needs to make the leg rest in size fat guy for me.

Now there would be a cottage industry. I wonder if the guy at the prosthetics lab at the VA would be interested in a side gig?

prosopopeia

Post by prosopopeia » Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:52 pm

I've been using the Ergoplay for a couple of years, and it changed my life, getting rid of the footstool. When I hit around 40, 45 years, I just found that the twisted posture produced a lot of back pain after 20 minutes or so--that's all gone now. More recently I tried one of the Dynarette-style cushions and found that I liked that just fine, too. I'll be getting a Gitano-style rest in about a week, so I can report on that. I have had zero issues with the suction cups--clean surface, absolutely smooth (no French polish-type finish, which can be an issue, I gather)--but it's equally clear that for some they're difficult and finicky. It's possible that the quality of the cups varies a lot (maybe even within the same product): I bought an Ergoplay knock-off, and while it works, it doesn't work nearly as well as the brand name. So, one and only one? I'd go with the ErgoPlay, but they're are more options than I had ever imagined.

Sharkbait

Post by Sharkbait » Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:22 am

Love the Sageworks/Barnett support as it feels completely stable when in use. The installation of magnets inside the guitar is a slight pain, but it’s only once per guitar, and thereafter the benefits of using the support heavily outweigh that 1-time difficulty. Best support I’ve ever tried.

Dynarette cushion is also quite decent although I feel it’s more unstable and prone to slipping off if my thigh isn’t level (eg. if the chair is a bit high). It is a big lump to have to carry around, though, and my lessons are at my brother’s home. It’s too big to be kept in the guitar case and would take up quite a lot of space in a small cloth bag that I bring along to my lessons.

I dislike the footstool. Even if I use it at the lowest level, it causes aches in my left hip and lower back due to the “twisting” and contortion of my body due to imbalance. Even though it’s readily available, I would use it mainly in shops where I go to test out guitars. It’s not workable as a mid- or long-term solution for me at home or my brother’s house.

narayan

Post by narayan » Sun Aug 12, 2018 3:36 am

Ergoplay Tappert. Only one I've tried and quite happy with it. Don't know if something else could be better.

Jon Griffiths

Post by Jon Griffiths » Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:23 pm

Where is best place to buy them. That deliver too France

es335

Post by es335 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:20 pm

Provided you are talking about the Ergoplay Tappert there are a lot of source in Germany and the EU.
Check for instance t h o m a n n or the "Big T" as we call them! They deliver to any place in the EU. :wink:

patsorenson

Post by patsorenson » Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:01 am

I am short (5'0") and have tried the footstool, which is OK; Dynarette cushion which didn't work at all for me, too unstable; Gitano, which didn't adjust short enough for me; and the Tenuto, which I currently use with shelf liner between it and my pant leg, since it is slippery. I wanted to try the child size Tappert, but saving for a new guitar and don't want to get yet another one that might not work. And I like that the Tenuto stays on the guitar even in my case, since the guitar is a 630 scale. When I get my new guitar I will look into the magnet support.

The Murata looks intriguing, but I haven't tried it. But I like the grip, similar to a violin shoulder rest, which works great for violin. I actually thought my leg would be too fat to fit into the bottom part properly- haha!

So if I could only choose one, it would now be Tenuto, since the strap on it is adjustable. I hope the Barnett will work in terms of height for me when I get my new guitar.

If anyone wants my hardly used Dynarette support small size for a good price (like free), PM me- US shipping only please.
2017 New World Player 628 spruce

keithwwk

Post by keithwwk » Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:27 am

Sageworks/Barnett. I got two of this for my two guitars. Very secure no matter how I sit and hold the guitars. No worry. I am using the umbra version.
Antonio Picado Model 60 Spruce 2017
Esteve Mod 1.4ST Spruce 2003
Ryoji Matsuoka M20 Cedar 1978
M.Sakurai No.5 Cedar 1976
Yamaha G225

Evocacion

Post by Evocacion » Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:53 pm

You could try holding it on your lap, like Morf...

Scott Phillips

Post by Scott Phillips » Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:55 pm

Wow that was great, but the magic wore off for me after about 4 minutes. I dont think that I could take an hour of it, as talented as he is.

Scott Phillips

Post by Scott Phillips » Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:33 pm

I am really liking the Murata. Note, you don’t want to set the leg rest on bare skin. I was using it while wearing shorts, and the edge on the leg rest cut into my leg. Not a a problem when wearing jeans.

It is the most stable support I’ve used. Even more so than the Barnett/Sage, the Murata will never come off. The leg rest is so big in comparison on the Murata. I will take a diamond file to the edges on the leg rest. Kinda fiddly, but oh so stable.

Return to “Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists”