Guitar Supports: if you could pick only one, what would you use?

Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists, Aches and Pains, Injuries, etc...
Judy Verbeeten
Student of the online lessons

Re: Guitar Supports: if you could pick only one, what would you use?

Post by Judy Verbeeten » Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:48 pm

While I definitely do not drive a Cadillac car, I view the Sagework Atlas Barnett guitar support to be the Cadillac of guitar supports. I went the full 9 yards, and purchased the wood-finished version. It not only looks great, but allows for all sorts of vertical and horizontal adjustments, including tilting toward/away from the guitarist's body. And it is so easy to take off and place back on.

Can't imagine relying on anything else, now that I have become accustomed to using it.

Scott Phillips

Post by Scott Phillips » Fri Aug 17, 2018 3:14 am

Judy Verbeeten wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:48 pm
While I definitely do not drive a Cadillac car, I view the Sagework Atlas Barnett guitar support to be the Cadillac of guitar supports. I went the full 9 yards, and purchased the wood-finished version. It not only looks great, but allows for all sorts of vertical and horizontal adjustments, including tilting toward/away from the guitarist's body. And it is so easy to take off and place back on.

Can't imagine relying on anything else, now that I have become accustomed to using it.
Judy, were you able to install the magnets yourself? I've only tried the Barnett on a fellow forum member's classical that he built with the magnets permanently mounted during the build process. I can't get my hand to fit in the sound hole. And I don't know anyone with a hand/forearm small enough to do the job. And how long does the adhesive last on the magnet strips? That is what has kept me from getting a Barnett.

seatea64

Post by seatea64 » Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:09 am

SteveL123 wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:32 pm
I learned a new way to support the guitar..... drum roll..... without a guitar support!!!

It is by far the most comfortable, feels the most natural, does not bother my back one bit. I have a Sageworks support and my "support" w/o a support is better/ more comfortable than the Sageworks. Suffice to say, I have not used the Sageworks since I've learned of this new "method".
I'm curious about your method. Is it similar to how Scott Tennant is holding his guitar now, propped on the right leg?
2000 Kenny Hill Munich
2017 Hill New World Player 615

Judy Verbeeten

Post by Judy Verbeeten » Fri Aug 17, 2018 2:11 pm

Laudiesdad69 wrote:
Fri Aug 17, 2018 3:14 am
Judy Verbeeten wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:48 pm

Judy, were you able to install the magnets yourself? I've only tried the Barnett on a fellow forum member's classical that he built with the magnets permanently mounted during the build process. I can't get my hand to fit in the sound hole. And I don't know anyone with a hand/forearm small enough to do the job. And how long does the adhesive last on the magnet strips? That is what has kept me from getting a Barnett.
I had no problem installing the magnets myself. I just loosened the central strings. Mind you, I suspect a body builder with large forearms would find it challenging, no doubt.

I found the best method for installing this guitar support provided on a video by Josh Rogers at https://nbnguitar.com/nbn-guitar-blog/s ... ort-review. I liked Josh Rogers' method better than the method suggested by Kris Barnett himself, which is provided in the written instructions included with the guitar support and also available on an online video. Not a big difference, but to me the Josh Rogers' method is a tad easier and better.

I have only being using the guitar support for less than a year, so I do not know how long the adhesive strips last, but purportedly they last indefinitely. In any case, one can purchase extra adhesive strips for $1.99 a pair.

Judy

SteveL123

Post by SteveL123 » Fri Aug 17, 2018 3:51 pm

seatea64 wrote:
Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:09 am
SteveL123 wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:32 pm
I learned a new way to support the guitar..... drum roll..... without a guitar support!!!

It is by far the most comfortable, feels the most natural, does not bother my back one bit. I have a Sageworks support and my "support" w/o a support is better/ more comfortable than the Sageworks. Suffice to say, I have not used the Sageworks since I've learned of this new "method".
I'm curious about your method. Is it similar to how Scott Tennant is holding his guitar now, propped on the right leg?
I just had a look on youtube of Scott Tenant's way of holding the guitar and yes, it is similar although Scott was not the one who gave me the idea to try this "method". It is Joao Luiz as seen in this video

Joao puts a piece of non slip material on his thigh so the guitar does not slide off. I have found this method works great for me and feels the most natural, with no discomfort to my back whatsoever. It is also nice to not have to fidget with putting a support on after taking it out of the case. Probably not a method for everyone. You'll have to try it to see if it works for you.

seatea64

Post by seatea64 » Fri Aug 17, 2018 6:41 pm

Thanks! I have tried this, but only very briefly. I need to give it some time to see if I can get comfortable with it. The issue for me seems to be moving my right arm. When I move closer to the fingerboard or toward the bridge to change timbre, the guitar feels unstable. I suspect with more practice time this wouldn't be an issue.
2000 Kenny Hill Munich
2017 Hill New World Player 615

Christopher Langley

Post by Christopher Langley » Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:47 pm

SteveL123 wrote:
Fri Aug 17, 2018 3:51 pm

Joao puts a piece of non slip material on his thigh so the guitar does not slide off. I have found this method works great for me and feels the most natural, with no discomfort to my back whatsoever. It is also nice to not have to fidget with putting a support on after taking it out of the case. Probably not a method for everyone. You'll have to try it to see if it works for you.
Blowing my mind dude... it doesn't look like the guitar should be staying put, at all. He isn't using a strap to sit on ala therebo players? I can't imagine the guitar staying put... I need some of this non slip stuff! lol

*edit* Watched it til the end.. it is just some non stick.. what's this stuff called guys? Neoprene? I really want to try this..
Cordoba CP110
https://youtu.be/AJsinZ8LLhE

Mark567

Post by Mark567 » Sat Aug 18, 2018 12:08 am

I recently tried both the ErgoPlay Tappert and the Troster and I ended up with the Tappert. The Troster was nice and has limitless adjustability, but the leg rest only seemed to feel comfortable in one position on my thigh. Also I found it difficult to remember the previous positions that I liked because there are more adjustment points. The longer Tappert base allows me to move it across my thigh for minor adjustments and it also feels more natural.

Another thing I’ve noticed is how much more freedom I have in my left hand, because it isn’t holding the neck of the guitar up at all. Shifts are much easier and I can concentrate on thumb and finger pressure issues without feeling the tension in my arm that I used to feel when playing with it on my knee. Plus just being able to grab the guitar off the wall, sit down in my chair and have it land in the same position every time is great!

The suction cups are stable and I can remove and re-install it in no time at all.

Notech64

Post by Notech64 » Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:25 pm

I use the Dynarette cushion.
I like the look of GuitarLift, but I don't like the idea of suction pads on the guitar finish.
Footstool gives me backache.

Notech64

Post by Notech64 » Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:27 pm

Christopher Langley wrote:
Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:47 pm
SteveL123 wrote:

Blowing my mind dude... it doesn't look like the guitar should be staying put, at all. He isn't using a strap to sit on ala therebo players? I can't imagine the guitar staying put... I need some of this non slip stuff! lol

*edit* Watched it til the end.. it is just some non stick.. what's this stuff called guys? Neoprene? I really want to try this..
I think it's called Dycem?
(well, Dycem is excellent non-slip material)

Evocacion

Post by Evocacion » Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:34 am

Notech64 wrote:
Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:27 pm
Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:47 pm
SteveL123 wrote:

I think it's called Dycem?
(well, Dycem is excellent non-slip material)
A piece of chamois leather works for me. It's actually a polishing cloth for cars.

Christopher Langley

Post by Christopher Langley » Tue Aug 21, 2018 5:05 pm

Evocacion wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:34 am

A piece of chamois leather works for me. It's actually a polishing cloth for cars.
I've seen these. Are they non slip? Can you use it to wipe down strings, or do I need a different cloth for that?
Cordoba CP110

Scott Phillips

Post by Scott Phillips » Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:39 am

PatSorensen sent me an Oasis brand cushion (like Dynarette) and I must say that this works wonderfully for sitting cross-legged on the floor. Too unstable to use sitting up in a chair, but on the floor it was the perfect size.

So far I’ve tried the ErgoPlay Professional, Tappert, and Troster. Sage works/Barnett, and Murata, and now the cushion. So far the Murata wins, hands down as far as Stability, sitting on the floor, or upright in a chair.

As Jan Brady would say...Murata, Murata, Murata!

Evocacion

Post by Evocacion » Thu Aug 23, 2018 7:48 pm

Tue Aug 21, 2018 5:05 pm
Evocacion wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:34 am

I've seen these. Are they non slip? Can you use it to wipe down strings, or do I need a different cloth for that?
It's non-slip. I use a micro fibre cloth to wipe down strings and guitar body after playing, sometimes with a huff of breath for fingerprints.

Christopher Langley

Post by Christopher Langley » Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:08 pm

Evocacion wrote:
Thu Aug 23, 2018 7:48 pm

It's non-slip. I use a micro fibre cloth to wipe down strings and guitar body after playing, sometimes with a huff of breath for fingerprints.
:merci: Now I know what to get.
Cordoba CP110

Return to “Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists”