Guitar Supports: if you could pick only one, what would you use?

Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists, Aches and Pains, Injuries, etc...
amezcua

Re: Guitar Supports: if you could pick only one, what would you use?

Post by amezcua » Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:18 pm

Dycem non slip rolls are basically silicone . They advise not to use against Nitrocellulose varnish as it can soften the varnish slightly (See Dycem adverts ). It will not work as a non slip mat in a shower as Dycem loses grip when wet .Not a common problem with guitarists .
The "opposite " (chemically ) non slip material is polyurethane rubber . That has a stronger non slip action but is less robust than Dycem . Testing against a sanding disc the polyurethane rubs away with the friction . The silicone just stays put regardless .Silicone has a slight built in static attraction to fine dust and grit but is very easy to wash in soapy water up to 50 degrees . The dust attraction is not a problem but keep the mat inside a plastic bag when not in use . Then vaccuum the guitar case just to be safe .
In a small test I tried two patches of polyurethane rubber .One patch fixed and the other laid on top tied to a cord holding a weight over the edge of the table .So an 8 ounce weight on the two patches held a 13 pound weight on the cord . You can try the Dycem to see how much that holds . Neither material is sticky either . Both materials are clean and dry . Start with a Dycem mat .
I have a thin sheet of silicone rubber and that grips the guitar very well but it`s flexibility makes it move and roll up or pulls the clothing out of place. It needs some addition to give it permanent shape to hold the leg while it grips the varnish .Some thicker foam is needed beneath the grip surface .
The Dynarette top surface is non slip according to the advertising . That is not very specific though . Is it as good as it could be ?

Scott Phillips

Post by Scott Phillips » Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:13 am

Hey Pat, the cushion works perfectly for me on the floor. But it is too unstable for my wife in a chair, and too big to boot. She is tiny. Our 8 year old grandson is almost as tall as she is. She is 5 ft or so, maybe with her shoes on. I am going to order a child size ergoplay for her birthday in a week. Will let you guys know . She just joined the forum, so she will probably post in this thread eventually.
Thanks again Pat.
Scott

Evocacion

Post by Evocacion » Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:36 am

Christopher Langley wrote:
Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:08 pm
Evocacion wrote:
Thu Aug 23, 2018 7:48 pm

It's non-slip. I use a micro fibre cloth to wipe down strings and guitar body after playing, sometimes with a huff of breath for fingerprints.
:merci: Now I know what to get.
I should point out, Christopher, that on a different thread some people claimed that microfiber made tiny scratches in the finish. I've not had this, but you should be aware.

Jorge Oliveira

Post by Jorge Oliveira » Wed Aug 29, 2018 12:30 pm

The DeOro. I've experimented with others but I settled on the DeOro. I've got two, now, one of them permanently attached to my Hermanos Camps through small electrostatic plastic sheets. This support, once closed to the side of the guitar, fits nicely (and tightly) in the guitar case, there is no need to detach it first. Obviously, this does not work with all types of guitar and guitar cases.
1972 - Kuniharu Nobe #8, 658/52, Spr, IN RW, Tokyo, JP
1976 - Ryoji Matsuoka No.50, 650/53, Ced, IN RW, JP
1979 - Ryoji Matsuoka No.40, 650/53, Ced, IN RW, JP
2014 - Hermanos Camps Master Nº 3, 650/52, CA Ced, MG RW, Banyoles, ES

Scott Phillips

Post by Scott Phillips » Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:22 am

My wife has a 3/4 size Yamaha. She tried the dynarette cushion, and it was too unstable. Yesterday her child size Ergoplay Tappert came, and it fits her guitar and her lap perfectly. You can adjust the tilt on it, and it seems to be stable. The guitar is at the proper angle, with the guitars headstock being at eye level. So far this is the only support that works on her guitar.

dta721

Post by dta721 » Sat Sep 08, 2018 2:17 pm

I did not completely read this long thread, wonder if this point was raised earlier: ErgoPlay Troster more useful for tall/taller people or with longer torso, and even the Tappert model with one end fixed, it can still be too "high" for a 5'6" guy like me. I watched the video clip by Allen Matthews reviewing the Tappert model, would guess that it may not even work for me, as it would raise the guitar headstock way above my eye level, jugding from Allen's longer torso.

In fact, I got an ErgoPlay Troster, sawed off both ends to make it shorter and thus lower for me. Yet the headstock is still much higher than my eye level.

Thanks to this thread, I learned about De Oro, also emailed De Oro info about the option to return it, should I find it not use-able for me. Darryl agreed, however offered to help if I can send him photos of how I hold the guitar, so that he can suggest how their product would work. In the process, I included a photo of how a modified Troster looks on me, headstock too high and the guitar lower bout a bit too far from my left thigh.

With Scott's post above, I figure that the childsize Tappert may work to bring the guitar lower bout closer to the left thigh, and with child size Tappert's shorter length, the headstock would be lowered to the desired eye level.

That said, Darryl is working on suggestions/solutions for me, and it's tough to beat their price in CAD funds, even if taxes and shipping taken into account, others being equal (balanced on your thigh, easy to travel), I'll go for a De Oro Classica.

Scott Phillips

Post by Scott Phillips » Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:12 am

dta721 wrote:
Sat Sep 08, 2018 2:17 pm
I got an ErgoPlay Troster, sawed off both ends to make it shorter and thus lower for me. Yet the headstock is still much higher than my eye level.

With Scott's post above, I figure that the childsize Tappert may work to bring the guitar lower bout closer to the left thigh, and with child size Tappert's shorter length, the headstock would be lowered to the desired eye level.

Please post some pictures of your modified Troster. Also, I haven't tried the child Tappert on a full size CG yet. My wife and I have quite the collection of guitar supports now. We have 4 Ergoplay supports: Troster, Tappert, child Tappert, and professional, which is their entry level support.
And we also have a Murata and an Oasis cushion like Dynarette.

I just read another thread about the Guitar Lift. That one looks like it might be with a look. Also, I wasn't aware of the deOro, until chatting with some of you in this thread. This thread may lead to Guitar Supporrt Acquisition Syndrome GSAS....A disease related to GAS🤔

I did try the Troster out again today.. I'm 6ft 2in tall, and with my guitar on the Troster, if i bend my neck down, my chin hits the upper bout. It only works good for me when I feel like playing with perfect posture, sitting straight up, with the headstock at eye level. But I like to slouch over a little bit to see my left hand on the fingerboard..

However, when all is said and done, I like the Murata the best.

dta721

Post by dta721 » Sun Sep 09, 2018 12:40 pm

Scott Phillips wrote:
Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:12 am
dta721 wrote:
Sat Sep 08, 2018 2:17 pm
I got an ErgoPlay Troster, sawed off both ends to make it shorter and thus lower for me. Yet the headstock is still much higher than my eye level.

Please post some pictures of your modified Troster. Also, I haven't tried the child Tappert on a full size CG yet. My wife and I have quite the collection of guitar supports now. We have 4 Ergoplay supports: Troster, Tappert, child Tappert, and professional, which is their entry level support.
And we also have a Murata and an Oasis cushion like Dynarette.

I just read another thread about the Guitar Lift. That one looks like it might be with a look. Also, I wasn't aware of the deOro, until chatting with some of you in this thread. This thread may lead to Guitar Supporrt Acquisition Syndrome GSAS....A disease related to GAS🤔

I did try the Troster out again today.. I'm 6ft 2in tall, and with my guitar on the Troster, if i bend my neck down, my chin hits the upper bout. It only works good for me when I feel like playing with perfect posture, sitting straight up, with the headstock at eye level. But I like to slouch over a little bit to see my left hand on the fingerboard..

However, when all is said and done, I like the Murata the best.
Here are some pics of my (quarter) sawn Troster :D for your reference!

My teacher also uses a Troster with ease, not sure how you place it, as it may make a difference? Btw, he was dismayed looking at my destructive initiative when I asked him how to place it on my guitar! :D

I still use the normal foot stool about 4" height, sitting on the sofa at about 16' height.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ronjazz

Post by ronjazz » Sun Sep 09, 2018 9:11 pm

Strap for me.
Lester Devoe Flamenco Negra
Lester Devoe Flamenco Blanca
Aparicio Flamenco Blanca with RMC pickup
Bartolex 7-string with RMC pickup
Giannini 7-string with Shadow pickup
Sal Pace 7-string archtop

ferdinand206

Post by ferdinand206 » Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:48 am

For sitting Guitarlift full size, but half size is great as well, and when I want to stand soft all nylon straps with suction cups.
Fritz Mueller Cedar DT
M.Cadiz Torres/Romanillos
Cordoba C12-CD

DavidKH

Post by DavidKH » Tue Sep 11, 2018 2:47 am

I’m using the basic Efel support. It works fine for me, is relatively inexpensive as are the replacement suction cups. I would pick that one.

jscott

Post by jscott » Tue Sep 11, 2018 4:42 pm

Guitarlift. I like the stability that it provides by attaching on the back of the guitar. I recently got a De Oro, thinking that I could leave it on my Takamine for easy swap out between guitars. The De Oro does that (stays attached), but I haven't yet got comfortable with it, so I end up using the Guitarlift after all on that guitar.

Two other non Guitarlift/De Oro lifts that I tried all felt fiddly and 'off', comparatively speaking. But I haven't tried the Sageworks!

edit: I was inspired to try the De Oro again and actually it feels very stable after all. So now i may go back to leaving it on my Takamine for ease of swapping guitars. The two supports 'present' the guitar in subtly different ways and I think that this is what initially put me off the De Oro. But now I think that this isn't that big of a deal. It takes a minute when switching between supports/guitars to get my fingers aligned properly on the fretboard.
Last edited by jscott on Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Scott Phillips

Post by Scott Phillips » Tue Sep 11, 2018 5:46 pm

I like dta721’s idea for the Troster. I might do the same to mine🤠. Now where did I put my hacksaw?

pkleynjan

Post by pkleynjan » Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:42 am

Perfectly happy with the original Ergoplay Professional. I am 6' tall. If I'd have to buy a new one now, I would probably try out the Tröster but based on the pictures that may be too tall.

rwe

Post by rwe » Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:56 am

Playing with two different instruments (normal CG and a nylon 6string bass) I have one Ergoplay Tröster for each of them (to avoid adjusting in a concert and at home, even it needs only one minute oder less). At first I tried a Gitano and a Dynarette, both not high enough for my freaky body. I decided to buy Trösters for the range of possibilities to justify it. And with the Tröster support and the Abel arm rest it looks a little bit like "paraguitaristics"... But it works.

Return to “Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists”