Guitar Supports: if you could pick only one, what would you use?

Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists, Aches and Pains, Injuries, etc...
Jason Kulas

Re: Guitar Supports: if you could pick only one, what would you use?

Post by Jason Kulas » Mon Mar 04, 2019 3:18 pm

souldier wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 2:12 pm
Takes me literally 3 seconds to put on the barnett support
Yes, 3 seconds is quick. Though since I leave my support on, it's 0 seconds :wink: My finish is polyurethane, and I put on a static cling sheet anyway (should be unnecessary on polyurethane), and I've seen others with much better guitars than me do the same (& leave it on all the time), so I'm not worried. My case is quite normal, close fit, it's a hard case, so it has no flex, but the Tenuto folds-up so slim, it fits.
Beginner. Yamaha G-50A. Connecticut, USA

Luigi Pati

Post by Luigi Pati » Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:37 pm

I use the Tappert, it's good enough, in my opinion, but I would like to try the other ones too. One thing I noticed: for best results, they should be used with a guitar finished with a lacquer. I am using one with satin finish and it doesn't stick well, even with those clear stickers, but it still works better than the awkward and not very effective footstool :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pd3_Bhgl83I

SkinDoc

Post by SkinDoc » Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:27 am

Tenuto. :D

Many guitarests seem to like the Gitano, but worry about it failing during a performance. I have the Lite version, not the Pro.

The Tenuto is essentially the same as the Gitano, except that it has four large suction cups that I can't imagine failing - unless you perform using a combination of Check Berry's duck walk and Pete Townshend's windmill :lol:

larryguitar

Post by larryguitar » Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:37 am

SkinDoc wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:27 am
Tenuto. :D

Many guitarests seem to like the Gitano, but worry about it failing during a performance. I have the Lite version, not the Pro.

The Tenuto is essentially the same as the Gitano, except that it has four large suction cups that I can't imagine failing - unless you perform using a combination of Check Berry's duck walk and Pete Townshend's windmill :lol:
The Mundo Guitar Strap will allow you to do ZZ Top spins.

Mollbarre

Post by Mollbarre » Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:34 pm

I now have a stool, a cushion and a strap.

I am using all three (er, not all at once though) depending. Maybe that will help prevent any issues from starting up.

But, at this point in the game, if I had to pick only one, I'd pick the strap.
2016 Fender CN320AS
2018 Cordoba C10 crossover
2018 Ibanez GA5TCE
...and miscellaneous bits and pieces.

zupfgeiger

Post by zupfgeiger » Thu Mar 21, 2019 3:45 pm

I came back to the good old foot stool after some years of using all sorts of guitar supports, Dynarette, both sizes, De Oro and others with and without suction cups, Chris Barnett's fiddly magnet device, wooden custom support made by a German carpenter. They all had substantial disadvantages, were difficult to handle, left marks on the precious varnish of my guitars and - some of them - looked weird. Now I feel better without any prothesis. I can enjoy my guitars as they are.
Fritz Ober, Torres/Hauser model, 2010, spruce/maple
Giovanni Tacchi, Bouchet model, spruce/BRAZ, 2018

Scott Phillips

Post by Scott Phillips » Sat Mar 30, 2019 1:33 am

Well, I have tried a lot of them. I’ve used every model of Ergoplay. The Professional, Tappert, Troster, and child size for my wife’s 3/4 CG. I sent the Professional on to one of the online lessons students and he reports that he really likes it. It just didn’t fit me as good as the Tappert.

I will send the Troster on to anybody who wants to pay shipping. You need to be tall for this one to work well, and I’m 6’2”and it’s just a little too big for me.

I also have a medium size oasis cushion that works well for sitting on the floor that was given to me by another forum member. And I still like the Murata the best. It’s just a little fiddly.

So if I am playing my guitar out in public, I use the Murata because that thing is just really sturdy, and it won’t accidentally come off during play.

TomOphir1

Post by TomOphir1 » Thu May 23, 2019 1:38 pm

The large Dynarette cushion is cushion is great with an added piece of rubbery material on the knee.. this keeps the guitar in place well. Or play a small bodied guitar and use a strap David Starobin style. I'm a big fan of that.

Return to “Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists”