Picking unwanted strings and mispicking

Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists, Aches and Pains, Injuries, etc...
Magdy Shehata

Picking unwanted strings and mispicking

Post by Magdy Shehata » Sat Jul 28, 2018 6:27 pm

I've apparently developed bad habits of the right hand
I used to play with my hand at the thumb side closer to the strings ,and kind of got used to picking with the side of the fingers and fingernails ... When i noticed and tried to make it right and make the sound warmer and the problems with the strings getting stuck between the nail and the flesh .. another problem came up , i can not alternate the i and m finger on a string like b or g without hitting the lower string every now and then or even picking a tottly different string whether higher or lower ,it really is annoying ..
I noticed something else I don't really lnow if it is relevant but my extensor tendons are not fixed on a point on the proximal knuckle so when i flex a finger especially the i finger , the tendon deviates to the space between the 2 kuncles
I might be obcessed with it and it's not even a thing but the i finger is driving me crazy with all the miss picking thing .
Thanx in advance 😁

Stephen Taylor

Re: Picking unwanted strings and mispicking

Post by Stephen Taylor » Thu Aug 02, 2018 2:36 am

Hi Magdy,
I will advise you to find a qualified classical guitar teacher, and start with a few lessons. I have read your other posts, and I understand your passion to learn. A teacher will help you build a solid foundation. Your opening sentence at the start of this thread states clearly that you are aware that something is not right. Private lessons are rather expensive, but it is money well spent. Please give it some serious thought. Wish you well, Stephen.
Doesn't everybody want to play guitar?

ronjazz

Post by ronjazz » Sat Aug 04, 2018 4:37 pm

Stephen's point is important; also, even a lesson once a month will pay off in the long run, as long as the teacher is qualified.
Lester Devoe Flamenco Negra
Lester Devoe Flamenco Blanca
Aparicio Flamenco Blanca with RMC pickup
Bartolex 7-string with RMC pickup
Giannini 7-string with Shadow pickup
Sal Pace 7-string archtop

gicouto

Post by gicouto » Sun Aug 05, 2018 12:57 am

Well, I think that the overall position of the guitar is very important in this case. I stopped playing for more than 17 years. When I returned, besides the technical difficulties, I was picking strings I did not want to pick. I decided to dedicate as much time I needed to analyze the issue. I solved the problem of establishing a position to hold the guitar and the position of my right hand. In less than a month I could correct the problem. Sometimes those technics are very particular but hope this helps.
Geraldo Couto

Kevin L Benbow

Post by Kevin L Benbow » Sun Aug 05, 2018 2:29 am

In addition to finding a qualified instructor you might consider looking at some of what is available on YouTube . of course it is buyer beware if you look at YouTube but there are some very good suggestions out there.

When you find the correct right hand technique practice it endlessly and slowly. When you think you are doing it slowly enough slow down and do it even more slowly.
Purnell #93
Cordoba C12
Admira Virtuoso (c. 1999).

guitarrista

Post by guitarrista » Sun Aug 05, 2018 2:46 am

Look at the first video that Patona has a link to in this post.

This one:

Konstantin
--
1982 Anselmo Solar Gonzalez

franks59

Post by franks59 » Sun Aug 05, 2018 1:30 pm

Magdy Shehata wrote: ↑
Sat Jul 28, 2018 6:27 pm
I've apparently developed bad habits of the right hand
I used to play with my hand at the thumb side closer to the strings ,and kind of got used to picking with the side of the fingers and fingernails ... When i noticed and tried to make it right and make the sound warmer and the problems with the strings getting stuck between the nail and the flesh .. another problem came up , i can not alternate the i and m finger on a string like b or g without hitting the lower string every now and then or even picking a tottly different string whether higher or lower ,it really is annoying ..
I noticed something else I don't really lnow if it is relevant but my extensor tendons are not fixed on a point on the proximal knuckle so when i flex a finger especially the i finger , the tendon deviates to the space between the 2 kuncles
I might be obcessed with it and it's not even a thing but the i finger is driving me crazy with all the miss picking thing .
Thanx in advance 😁
I used to (and sometimes still have) the same problem.

The reason I sometimes hit the lower string is that my wrist is too far back (towards the 6th string) and needs to be more forward. The knuckles generally need to be over the string you are plucking. If not, there is not enough room to clear the adjacent string and it sometimes get hit.

Frank

Return to “Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists”