footstool vs ergonomic support

Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists, Aches and Pains, Injuries, etc...
chimera

footstool vs ergonomic support

Post by chimera » Fri Dec 08, 2006 5:40 am

Hi,

I was wondering which one people prefer. I know that for some people
using a footstool gives them pain due to obvious reasons. I am 21 and although I generally won't feel pain cause I'm still relativelly young, I'm concious of health for the future and so would like your opinion on what is the best to use? If using a footstool can the pain be avoided by being cognisant of your posture? Or is there no way to avoid it and just going on to use the ergonomic support?

angler

Post by angler » Fri Dec 08, 2006 6:04 am

HI - I recently purchased both the small and large dynerette cushions and I am not that impressed. I find that it is hard to get the guitar situated so that it feels stable. I was having back problems but have gone to using a shorter chair so that I can lower my foot stool and my back feels much better.

owl

Post by owl » Fri Dec 08, 2006 7:33 am

Never, ever give up!... I leave my songprint on your heart.

mlfly

Post by mlfly » Fri Dec 08, 2006 1:07 pm

I've used the large dynarette for 2 years. When I use a footstool, a pain develops in my lower back almost immediately. If you start experiencing pain with the footstool definitely try other methods. I also tried one of the supports that stick to the guitar but when I bought my FP top guitar, I was concerned about the suction cups on FP and went back to the dynarette. The small dynarette was too small (IMO). Also, I wrap a non-sliding material around it to keep it from sliding from my knee or the guitar from sliding off. A material made for kitchen cabinet shelves in black works fine.

Sasquatch51

Post by Sasquatch51 » Fri Dec 08, 2006 1:12 pm

I've just ordered the Aria support from GSI...it should be here any time. I'll see how it works out.

arby

Post by arby » Fri Dec 08, 2006 2:27 pm

Just want to add, where back pain is concerned, that the chair must be the correct height. For me, that height is when my thighs are level.
I will get a backache within minutes if the chair causes my thighs to slope down while playing.

dlmoak

Post by dlmoak » Fri Dec 08, 2006 3:43 pm

I've been playing for 30+ years. Started with footstools (there was nothing else back then). I've tried the various alternatives and used a large Dynarette for many years. To guarantee the proper height I also took a particular chair with me whenever I played. Now I'm back to using a footstool because the use of the dynarette started causing some numbness. Over the years, I've found that the back problems I had were not caused so much by the footstool as by lack of exercise, flexibility, etc. I've been using the footstool with no problems, but I do exercise regularly to keep myself relatively limber and to have adequate muscle strength.

CGC

FOOTSTOOL VS. DYNETTE CUSHION

Post by CGC » Fri Dec 08, 2006 5:42 pm

I started using the Dynerette cushion after seeing it in a store. I prefer a footstool more, but my lower back starts hurting after a couple hours of playing! My guitar does move around on the cushion a little, I have to have better posture using it. I do recommend the cushion vs. a footstool .....or trading off between the two!!!!

nuuanupali

Footstool vs Other options

Post by nuuanupali » Sat Dec 09, 2006 5:55 pm

About a year ago I abandoned my footstool because of lower back pain. Instead I opted to sit very low with both feet on the ground. This helped the lower back but I seemed to always have tension in my shoulders.

Recently I have been sitting low as well as playing with elevating the guitar with a pillow. This seemed to be working toward a solution. A few days ago I took a long negelected lesson and tried an ergonomic support - this combined with adjusting the position of the guitar ala "Christopher Parkening" - wow what a result! I found this very comfortable.

I have purchased a ErgoPlay but may end up buying one of the collapsable versions.

rolanduzer

Aria Rest

Post by rolanduzer » Sun Dec 10, 2006 3:41 am

I bought the aria rest and although it looks somewhat goofy like a prosthetic for guitars, it is very nice. I like it because it flexes with my motion and puts my guitar farther to my right side than all the other supports, which is more comfotable for me.

AO

foot stool?

Post by AO » Sun Dec 10, 2006 4:04 am

I think one of the problems of a footstool is you have to get so high.

I think I am ready to put an end pin in my guitar and play like a cello.

Sasquatch51

Re: foot stool?

Post by Sasquatch51 » Sun Dec 10, 2006 4:09 am

AO wrote:I think one of the problems of a footstool is you have to get so high.

I think I am ready to put an end pin in my guitar and play like a cello.

Why do you have to get high? I think that would make me forget the music...:)

AO

Sasquatch51

Post by AO » Sun Dec 10, 2006 5:53 am

It's not back problems it's gut problems, it's getting around that monument I've created for the guinniss brewing co. But seriously I keep wanting to get that headstock closer to my ear. Cheers!

arby

Re: foot stool?

Post by arby » Sun Dec 10, 2006 12:28 pm

AO wrote:I think I am ready to put an end pin in my guitar and play like a cello.
Works for Paul Galbraith!
I've also thought about this, looks like it would be comfortable, especially for the left hand.

Rolle

Post by Rolle » Sun Dec 10, 2006 3:25 pm

The more I read about this subject, the more opinions I have seen...

What is good for Jacques, is bad for Michelle
What is loved by Kurt, is hated by Mike

There is no 'best' solution, which suits everyone. I'm using the foot stool and will keep doing this until it gives me some trouble. Afterwards I will try something else.

Another suggestion: try to do some sport to alternate the long guitar playing hours.

Return to “Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists”