footstool vs ergonomic support

Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists, Aches and Pains, Injuries, etc...
Sasquatch51

Post by Sasquatch51 » Sun Dec 10, 2006 3:41 pm

Rolle wrote:The more I read about this subject, the more opinions I have seen...

What is good for Jacques, is bad for Michelle
What is loved by Kurt, is hated by Mike

There is no 'best' solution, which suits everyone. I'm using the foot stool and will keep doing this until it gives me some trouble. Afterwards I will try something else.

Another suggestion: try to do some sport to alternate the long guitar playing hours.

I have been of this opinon for a long time. I started out using a foot stool and used one for many years....I saw no reason to change. Now I'm having some of the back problems that people talk about. SO...I'm ordering a guitar rest and I plan to alternate between the stool and the rest. I'll probably use the rest for practicing and the stool for performing.

chimera

hmmm

Post by chimera » Mon Dec 11, 2006 9:50 am

I'm 21 years old and I do play sport and am very fit and flexible.
But I am mindful of what injuries could be caused by using the footstool
over long periods of time(I don't expect to stop playing guitar any time soon). But thanks for your opinion all of you. I have decided to order Lance Litchfield's guitar support.

axel

Post by axel » Wed Dec 27, 2006 1:47 am

I concur with those that mention the lowering of the chair height. That is my biggest gripe about studying at UM. The chairs are too high for me forcing me to raise the footstool all the way up and still leaving me uncomfortable.
I find that with just a slightly lower chair and being able to lower the footstool my comfort increases substantially and so does my playing!
I used to use supports and sometimes combined supports with the footstool when the chairs were too high and ended up getting pains in my right shoulder due to unintentionally raising it while playing/practicing.
Since then I have resorted to the footstool only and making the most of the practice time I have on lower chairs.

chimera

yeah

Post by chimera » Wed Dec 27, 2006 8:26 am

I agree axel. The chairs I use at home can't be adjusted so it has caused problems. However, with the setup now, with the high chair and support it's very comfortable but I have just bought an adjustable sitting bench to use. I'm sure with these two combined the playing experience will be enhanced.

callumdewar

footstool vs ergonomic support

Post by callumdewar » Thu Dec 28, 2006 11:35 am

On a personal level I prefer using an A-frame style device. I feel that with two feet firmly on the ground that I have better posture and can breathe easier.
But hey, what works for me may not work for other people.

Callum.

deadlyd

Re: foot stool?

Post by deadlyd » Fri Dec 29, 2006 1:58 pm

Sasquatch51 wrote:
AO wrote:I think one of the problems of a footstool is you have to get so high.

I think I am ready to put an end pin in my guitar and play like a cello.

Why do you have to get high? I think that would make me forget the music...:)
you might forget what you are supposed to play, but love it a little more maybe? :wink:

dataocai

Post by dataocai » Wed Jan 17, 2007 2:57 am

Previously, I had to switch between using a foot stool and a large dynarette during practice. The foot stool causes back pain but allows me to hold the guitar in a "proper" position. The dynarette eliminates the back pain, but it "blocks" blood circulation on my left leg. From following this thread, I discovered that if I set my chair lower, using the foot stool doesn't cause much back pain. It took a few trials. For whatever it's worth: I am about 178 cm (5-foot-10) tall, and I set my seat to about 38 cm (15 in) high. The foot stool is set to about 10 cm.

tgwilt

Post by tgwilt » Wed Jan 17, 2007 1:56 pm

I had back surgery 25 years ago (nothing to do with guitar playing) and had to give up the footstool.

Over the years I have used the Adjuster which is a good product except that the clamps can mar the finish.

Recently purchased a Dynarette cushion. It seems to be OK, but tends to slide on my thigh. The guitar doesn't seem to move on the leather/vinyl part of the cushion.

I also use an adjustable piano bench at home.

All of these have helped a lot, but age (54) and weather seem to have their own little ways of adding to the matrix <grin>.
Cheers,

Tom Gwilt

Return to “Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists”