Carpal Tunnel Syndrome

Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists, Aches and Pains, Injuries, etc...
GEO

Post by GEO » Sun Jan 28, 2007 10:49 pm

JQ. wrote:B vitamins are water soluable and don't build up in your system like fat soluable vitamins such as E and A. If you take more B vitamins than your body can use, you'll simply pass them in your urine.
While that's true, JQ, you can "overdose" on any vitamin, including the B-complex. Super-high doses of vitamin C can lower the pH of your urine and cause kidney damage. Symptoms due to niacin overdose (according to a web search--I'm not a doctor) include paresthesias, gout and hyperglycemia. So, be careful taking megadoses.

BTW, I would have guessed the reason for niacin's effect on your CTS was that it is a mild anti-inflammatory.

Cheers,

geo

JQ.

Post by JQ. » Sun Jan 28, 2007 11:43 pm

Actually, niacin is B3. ;)

Documentation on the use of B6 to treat CTS is inconclusive. Seems to be one of those things that works for some people but not for everyone. :)

Cheshire

Post by Cheshire » Mon Jan 29, 2007 5:32 am

That's interesting, JQ. Your symptoms and mine were completely different. I never noticed a loss in strength or a handshake issue.

About computer keyboards, I've had much success with the Microsoft ergonomics, and especially the ones with shallow laptop-like keys. They're quiet and don't require a lot of pressure to depress. Trackballs are wierd. I'm not into them, but I did find that the mouse didn't bother me so much when I kept my wrist & hand at an angle -- the same angle that an ergonomic keyboard demands from you. In other words, when I look at my hand while it's holding the mouse, I see the sides of my fingers, not the tops (just as if I were holding a pencil). Also not resting my wrist on the desk when holding the mouse helped. It takes a while to get used to holding your wrist up, but it does relieve the pressure.

danno

Post by danno » Tue Jan 30, 2007 4:55 am

Do not have surgery! You wil never regain the fine motorskills needed to play. Chronic pain is due to chronic missuse. Please check out pete egoscues book,"pain free" egoscue.com

good luck,

Dan

Return to “Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists”