Probably a dumb ? regarding RH wrist arch

Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists, Aches and Pains, Injuries, etc...
Vesuvio

Post by Vesuvio » Wed May 23, 2007 6:47 pm

Hello Eales,

What I really want to know is how you knew I would be next to join the thread!

If you want to say good things about Mr Cold, you can do that anywhere on the forum—he's a really great guy.

Best wishes, V
"There are only two things worth aiming for, good music and a clean conscience." Paul Hindemith

eales

Post by eales » Wed May 23, 2007 10:22 pm

What I really want to know is how you knew I would be next to join the thread!
AhaHA HAAAAAAhhhh (fiendish laughter) no actually Vesuvio I just saw your name earlier in the post - I now review it and realise that it was actually the day before.....

I did have a great-aunt with psychic abilities (a lot) but it hasn't been passed down to me!

mrcold

Post by mrcold » Wed May 23, 2007 11:09 pm

Vesuvio wrote: If you want to say good things about Mr Cold, you can do that anywhere on the forum—he's a really great guy.
:shock:
haha..
thanks guys... You fell for it!! >fiendish laughter< :wink:

eales

Post by eales » Wed May 23, 2007 11:11 pm

Shostakovich fan? clearly a Russian plot! and thickening by the minute

mrcold

Post by mrcold » Wed May 23, 2007 11:41 pm

Am i so easy to figure out?? :shock:

Vesuvio

Post by Vesuvio » Thu May 24, 2007 4:58 am

mrcold wrote:Am i so easy to figure out?? :shock:
So, Dmitri, about the big wooden camera in your luggage. Why do you insist on claiming it is a guitar?

V :wink:
"There are only two things worth aiming for, good music and a clean conscience." Paul Hindemith

ShonenBatto

RH tech

Post by ShonenBatto » Tue Jun 12, 2007 6:14 pm

From my experience (which, admittedly, is only about four years, I'm only eighteen), a slight arch in the wrist is fine, as long as it isn't too exaggerated.

When I had right hand problems (I still do from time to time), it wasn't my hand or wrist because I'm playing with a slight arch that feels comfortable. But for some reason, my hand felt cold and very weak for a while. Then, it was brought to my attention that when I rest my right arm on the edge of the guitar, I was pushing [way] too hard and this cut off the circulation to my hand, resulting in a cold, weak right hand. Now, I practice with a cloth or towel on the side of the guitar to cushion my forearm, and it seems to help. This goes to show the overall interconnectedness of the body. If your whole arm isn't relaxed, then tension is likely to move down your arm to your hands. Hopefully, when I go to study the guitar in college this September, I can get even more opinions on my technique.

P.S If anyone has had this problem and can give tips on ways to reduce tension, I'd be more than happy and ever thankful to hear it.

-Michael [/i]

LFP

Re: RH tech

Post by LFP » Tue Jun 12, 2007 11:54 pm

ShonenBatto wrote: This goes to show the overall interconnectedness of the body. If your whole arm isn't relaxed, then tension is likely to move down your arm to your hands. Hopefully, when I go to study the guitar in college this September, I can get even more opinions on my technique.

P.S If anyone has had this problem and can give tips on ways to reduce tension, I'd be more than happy and ever thankful to hear it.

-Michael [/i]
ShonenBatto In reading your post a simple thought occurred. Can you place your right arm on the guitar and just let it rest there? Do not try to shape or move your hand or tension your arms or shoulders/ back. Just as if your arm is a piece of jelly, laying over the body of the guitar like a hand on a Dali clock. Now connect that feeling, that relaxation to your everyday feelings of tension in your arm as you walk, sit at the table, computer screen etc etc. Your arm should feel no different to your everyday feelings. Once you have that in your mind put those physical feelings into a short piece by mentally imagining all the movements at the same time , connecting the feelings of relaxation to your physical movements, but do it a lot mentally at first. When that is properly formed in your mind do the same on the guitar, phrase at a time but constantly refer back to your relaxed mental image. You should have no accumulating tension anywhere unless you want it that way.

Return to “Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists”