Practicing with right hand only

Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists, Aches and Pains, Injuries, etc...
bazzer1970

Practicing with right hand only

Post by bazzer1970 » Tue Jul 10, 2007 7:41 am

Hi All

I am having an operation next week on my left hand for carpal tunnel sydrome. Obviously playing the guitar is a no go but thought it may give me an opportunity to work on some right hand technique, to keep my hand in as it were!
I'm thinking maybe practice giulianis 120 arpeggio patterns, and I have never tried tremolo so maybe have a go at that. I am a relative beginner, been having lessons for nine months, none of which has included any specific tecchniqe work, scales ect, so this is probably a good opportunity to do some pure technique work on the right hand. Will probably be a little boring but better than nothing.
would be interested to hear your opinions, anybody had the same operation and done a similar thing and of course any suggesgions for other right hand excercises would be much appreciated

Thanks

barry

owl

Post by owl » Tue Jul 10, 2007 7:54 am

Hello Barry... it's a good idea to keep up and improve your RH studies... it will definitely keep you on track.

Here are a couple of articles by Philip Hii that might be of interest to you... one on the RH and one on tremolo.

I don't know how advanced you are but this is also a good time to practice your 'reading'.

Good luck with the op... keep us posted and let's know how you get on

Owl

http://www.delmar.edu/music/teachcol.html

http://www.nyccgs.org/resources/newslet ... ng_the.php
Never, ever give up!... I leave my songprint on your heart.

bazzer1970

Post by bazzer1970 » Tue Jul 10, 2007 2:28 pm

Hi Owl
Thanks for the reply and the links thats just the sort of thing I need.
I'm not very advanced and my sight reading is probably level 1 or 2 max!
I have seen a couple of threads alluding to practicing your reading without the guitar. Unfortunately I dont seem to do very well - when I look at score it doesn't mean an awfull lot to me, I can't look at it and sing in my head how it should sound, maybe that will come with experience?
I usually have to play through it very slowly (painfully slowly) to get a feel of how it should sound.
I think I need to a bit of searching with rergard to reading as it would be a real bonus if I could improve my sight reading during my lay off.

Thanks again

Barry

owl

Post by owl » Tue Jul 10, 2007 3:09 pm

Barry... if you don't yet have an ear for the notes then try rewriting the music and naming the notes.
Choose a few pieces of music... get some blank paper and rewrite the notes naming them as you go.
You'll be surprised how that sticks... the bonus is that when you come to play those pieces you'll find that they will be easy to memorise... in fact they will probably be partly memorised anyway.

Maybe you can do some 'ear' practice as well... lol I'll keep you busy! :roll:

Owl
Never, ever give up!... I leave my songprint on your heart.

F-holes

Post by F-holes » Tue Jul 10, 2007 4:45 pm

I've been sidelined a few times with left hand injuries. It's sometimes a challenge to maintain interest when all you can to is pick patterns.
This a permutation chart for all 24 of the right hand patterns using each single finger once.

1)PIMA 2)PIAM 3)PMIA 4)PMAI 5)PAIM 6)PAMI

7)IPMA 8)IPAM 9)IMPA 10)IMAP 11)IAPM 12)IAMP

13)MPIA 14)MPAI 15)MIPA 16)MIAP 17)MAPI 18)MAIP

19)APIM 20)APMI 21)AIPM 22)AIMP 23)AIPM 24)AIMP

These can be executed on these
fifteen string combinations:
1234 2345 1456 1345 1245
1235 2346 2456 1346 1246
1236 2356 3456 1356 1256

Some of these would suggest playing with the Index finger on the fifth string.
That's something I don't think would be practical too often in actual playing.
But overall, this is a good discipline for developing arpeggiating skills.:)

:guitare:

Vesuvio

Post by Vesuvio » Tue Jul 10, 2007 5:15 pm

Hello Barry,

Sounds as if Owl has got you well set up with some constructive work while you are out of action.

I just wanted to wish you all the best with your surgery. I hope you will be able to play again soon—but don't rush it, be sure to follow doctor's orders.

Best wishes, V :)
"There are only two things worth aiming for, good music and a clean conscience." Paul Hindemith

mrcold

Post by mrcold » Tue Jul 10, 2007 8:52 pm

Good Luck with your surgery! I am just recovering from a left hand injury (i cut my thumb very badly).

It can get boring just playing right hand, but a few minutes a day is probably enough anyway if you work effeciently. I do suggest practicing your reading as lady owl has suggested.

Cody

bazzer1970

Post by bazzer1970 » Wed Jul 11, 2007 5:05 am

Thanks for the replys and best wishes

F-holes thank you for the patterns, theres's certainly plenty to go at there!

Owl - That's a great tip I'm definatley going do that, Ill start preparing a portfolio of music to re-write now! I'm going to be off work for about 6 weeks so I'll have plenty of time of on my hand(s).

I think it will probably be a good time read up on general music theory too, my guitar lessons have concentrated only on playing and reading up to now, can anybody recommend any good books for theory aimed at guitar?

Thanks again to everyone who has responded and wished me well, I'll let you all know how I'm getting on (if I find the time)!

Barry

Return to “Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists”