What is wrong with my hand?

Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists, Aches and Pains, Injuries, etc...
travis

What is wrong with my hand?

Post by travis » Thu Dec 13, 2007 1:52 pm

Hi all,

I am hoping for some sort of cheap diagnosis and solution to a very frustrating situation. Last week, in an oblivious fit of joy, a certain german shepherd who will remain anonymous knocked me off my feet and onto the ground while chasing a stick. I landed hard on both palms. My right wrist is bruised but I am still able to do the pima thing with no trouble. Just can't slice bread. What is worrying me is my left hand. Two days after the incident with M___, I lost all feeling in the little finger and the entire little finger side of my hand. To a lesser extent, this numbness extends down that side of the forearm as well, a little way past the wrist. This numbness has persisted for three days and made it impossible hit the "a" key on the computer keyboard without moving my hand, not to mention practice classical guitar.
Does anyone have any advice or previous experience with this sort of numbness? I've experienced tingling in my fingers before due to cold or maybe circulation, but nothing that lasted this long or made it impossible to fret strings.

Thanks very much for any advice,
travis

Sasquatch51

Re: What is wrong with my hand?

Post by Sasquatch51 » Thu Dec 13, 2007 2:01 pm

Travis,
Why are you asking guitar players to diagnose a trauma to your hand/arm? You need to go see a doctor right away. This is indicative of nerve damage of one kind or another....Permanent or temporary? That's something for the doctor to answer...but the longer you wait, the worse it can be. instead of messing around on a guitar forum you need to be going to see a doctor.

Cornival

Post by Cornival » Thu Dec 13, 2007 2:15 pm

Yup, go see your doctor.

eales

Post by eales » Thu Dec 13, 2007 11:50 pm

Doctor - :contrat: quickly before they go off for the weekend. Any numbness needs urgent attention, especially if there's any swelling. There might be a break.
Let us know how you are; how awful for you. Good luck :?

theory

Post by theory » Fri Dec 14, 2007 1:10 am

:shock: :shock: :shock:

travis

Post by travis » Fri Dec 14, 2007 3:03 pm

Hi again,

Well, thanks for the advice. I stopped procrastinating and saw a doctor who, although couldn't provide any immediate solution, gave me a little comfort. I have evedently hyper-extended the ulna, one of several nerves extending into the hand. A test revealed that this nerve wasn't severed and most likely not being pinched by swelling, therefore surgery or steroid injections would not be necessary. His best advice was to give it time to heal (evidently slower for nerves than bones or skin), alternate hot and cold packs, and to keep the hand as still as possible. No guitar.
One thing I was glad to learn is that carpal-tunnel syndrome evidently affects the thumb and or first three fingers, due to a different set of nerves that run an alternate course through the arm. So this, I think, is ruled out.
So, we'll see how it goes. I'm hoping to regain feeling in the hand soon, and that this won't last for too long. Might be a good opportunity to learn the kick-drum or kazoo :|

Thanks,
travis

Sasquatch51

Post by Sasquatch51 » Fri Dec 14, 2007 3:22 pm

That's good! I'm glad you went.

eales

Post by eales » Fri Dec 14, 2007 4:22 pm

What a relief I thought it might be a break.

You have an excellent opportunity to study some theory! bet you can't wait :?
:bye:

Return to “Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists”