Leg is numb

Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists, Aches and Pains, Injuries, etc...
vm5387

Leg is numb

Post by vm5387 » Thu May 01, 2008 6:58 am

Hi everyone! i recently just discovered this forum and it looks really cool. any who i am a beginner and i was wondering if someone would please help me with my problem. I love guitar and i really want to play it as much as i can but what keeps stopping me is that whenever i try to play it my left leg always falls asleep. i have tried many positions and they all end up the same. for the most part i practiced in the classical position with the guitar on the left leg with a footstool. i have read many articles about the proper way to hold the guitar, but it always ends up asleep, my leg that is. any suggestions would be much appreciated. thanks!

Vesuvio

Re: Leg is numb

Post by Vesuvio » Thu May 01, 2008 7:07 am

Hello VM5387,

Time to investigate other kinds of guitar support?

You will find numerous discussions here relating to e.g. Ergoplay, Dynarette etc. These may enable you to lower the eight of your footstool or even to play without it,

Best wishes, V
"There are only two things worth aiming for, good music and a clean conscience." Paul Hindemith

vm5387

Post by vm5387 » Thu May 01, 2008 7:13 am

thanks Vesuvio ill check those out.

zeroeffect

Post by zeroeffect » Thu May 01, 2008 1:49 pm

Are you playing for long periods at a time? You should really take a 30 min break for every hour you practice. Any long than an hour in that position is probably not a good thing.

vm5387

Post by vm5387 » Fri May 02, 2008 5:50 am

i dont play for long periods or time. ill sit and my leg will go to sleep in around five to ten minutes.

Nick Cutroneo

Post by Nick Cutroneo » Fri May 02, 2008 6:22 am

I'd be willing to bet its the chair itself you are sitting in. I've found that folding chairs, or chairs with 'butt indentations' cut off circulation to the leg because the edge digs into my leg. Try using a chair where the seat is parallel to the floor.
Nick Cutroneo - Classical Guitarist, performer/teacher/suzuki instructor

cn90

Post by cn90 » Sun May 04, 2008 1:44 am

I am a physician and can tell you that:
1. Either you have a bad chair. Use a normal chair with flat surface.
Some of the folding chairs angle upward and this is bad for the legs.

2. You have L5-S1 nerve problem or sciatica.
The sciatic nerve runs in the BACK of the thigh.
Google "sciatic nerve" and "L5-S1" and you will see what I mean.

See a neurologist soon. Bring your chair and guitar with you to show him/her what you are experiencing.

vm5387

Post by vm5387 » Mon May 05, 2008 10:17 pm

Good news! i tried a flat stool and it worked!! thanks you guys i really appreciate your help.

cn90

Post by cn90 » Tue May 06, 2008 3:10 pm

vm5387 wrote:Good news! i tried a flat stool and it worked!! thanks you guys i really appreciate your help.
I am glad I could be of help.

FYI, Chair quality is crucial for everyone, not just for CG playing.
Computer, office worker need to pay attention to chairs angles:
workspace_ergonomics_1.jpg
1. Avoid chairs that slant UPWARD, they pinch your sciatic nerve (example, folding chairs)

2. Flat chair is pretty standard everywhere (like your wood chair in dining room etc.).

3. Best is to slant the chair a bit so it slopes downward a bit, this slight slope releases the pressure on your sciatic nerve.
I use a small piece of oak flooring (3/4" in thickness) and place them in the REAR LEGS of the chair to create a slight slope. It works for me.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

BearWarrior

Post by BearWarrior » Sun Jun 01, 2008 8:35 pm

I've also heard that wearing tight jeans can cause your leg to fall asleep because the fabric presses on the inside of your leg. So maybe wearing loose clothing would help.

ChiyoDad

Post by ChiyoDad » Sun Jun 01, 2008 8:56 pm

BearWarrior wrote:I've also heard that wearing tight jeans can cause your leg to fall asleep because the fabric presses on the inside of your leg. So maybe wearing loose clothing would help.
Kilts perhaps? :mrgreen:

BearWarrior

Post by BearWarrior » Fri Jun 06, 2008 4:08 pm

ChiyoDad wrote:Kilts perhaps? :mrgreen:
That would be great. "Gotta go change into my guitar kilt so I can practice" :D

Return to “Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists”