Believe it or not...

Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists, Aches and Pains, Injuries, etc...
steelbender

Believe it or not...

Post by steelbender » Wed May 28, 2008 3:34 pm

Hey all,

When I started playing, 3 years ago, I went from 0 hours/day to 3-4 hours 7 days a week. That lasted about a year 1/2. I woke up with SHARP, shooting pain in my wrist. After rest, stretching, exercises, and much more careful practice, I have very little trouble. Very minor discomfort/stiffness after an intense practice.

A friend gave me a magnetic bracelet as a gift a while ago. I was a complete sceptic...until I wore it. Very quickly noticed less discomfort. It works every time, though i have no idea why.

It definately doesn't fix injuries, but it lessens pain.

Just my 2 cents

SB

Vesuvio

Re: Believe it or not...

Post by Vesuvio » Wed May 28, 2008 4:38 pm

Hello SB,

I am glad you are over your wrist problem now—and pleased you are taking better care of yourself. These kinds of things can stop people playing for good if not dealt with.

I would be interested to hear what any of our medical members have to say about magnetic bracelets,

All the best, V :)
"There are only two things worth aiming for, good music and a clean conscience." Paul Hindemith

pogmoor

Post by pogmoor » Wed May 28, 2008 4:47 pm

We doctors refer to it as the placebo effect :wink:
Eric from GuitarLoot
Renaissance and Baroque freak; classical guitars by Lester Backshall (2008), Ramirez (Guitarra del Tiempo 2017),
Yamaha (SLG 130NW silent classical guitar 2014).

jdhunt

Post by jdhunt » Wed May 28, 2008 5:43 pm

pogmoor wrote:We doctors refer to it as the placebo effect :wink:
I was reading the fine print in a ad in a magazine one time about some hair growth product (a real one requiring a prescription - that's why all the fine print) in the section talking about the clinical trials. The three groups in the trial were those given the drug being tested, those given a placebo (sugar pill) and those who received nothing. The results table for the three groups listed several before and after measurements, things like new hair growth, hair density, etc. In many of these measurements, the results for those receiving the placebo were much better than those who received nothing and in some cases, almost as good as the drug being tested!

Conclusion: all these years that medical reserachers have been looking for the magic, wonder drug -they should have been doing more testing on sugar pills!

steelbender

Post by steelbender » Wed May 28, 2008 7:11 pm

Maybe if I just think really hard about practicing, I'll get better?

BugDog

Post by BugDog » Fri May 30, 2008 3:39 pm

My doctor prescribed a placebo for my hypochondria.
BugDog
There's one in every crowd.

March_Hare

Post by March_Hare » Fri May 30, 2008 7:33 pm

As an undergrad, I spent a fair amount of time doing experiments with a 2-Tesla NMR (nuclear magnetic resonance) spectrometer, which is about 1000x stronger than those wrist magents. If magnetic field exposure really produces any physiological effects, I'd know!

fuyioioih

Post by fuyioioih » Mon Jun 02, 2008 3:56 pm

A friend of mine who is a psychology professor has an arthritic thumb and can, with self hypnosis, transfer the pain to the other thumb.
Pain is a warning to the brain. We have the ability to ignore it, which is a good thing, otherwise flight might not follow fright.
A dangerous practice.
Similarly, we can ignore the pain of practice and injure ourselves. There is a fine line between sore and injured and it's to our benefit
to avoid that line. I think the body tells us when we are approaching that line. It is our ego which pushes the body past it and thus to injury.

I'm from the southern US and we have a joke down here which goes;
What's the last thing a fool says?
"Here, watch this!"

guichard

Post by guichard » Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:02 pm

I'm new to the forum but in reading through many of the posts and having studied classical guitar years ago (only got to freshman year in college), there seemed to be a kind of unwritten rule then "no pain, no gain". But we live in a fast paced electronic world where eventually through midi technology and sampling, anyone of us will be able to experience the finest classical guitar sounds played by ourselves. This could be years away in perfection, but technology keeps advancing. There is no reason that we have to play uncomfortably of live with pain...whatever works...go for it. Many of the rules I learned years ago about playing are likely outdated and no longer necessary. Golfers are driving further than ever with greater accuracy.

For example, I have just acquired a Godin Multiac which plays as well as any steel stringed, Jazz instrument I have ever owned. It is not a classical guitar in the true sense as it is an electric guitar. I love playing the Godin and can't put it down. I just sold my Takamine C132 after buying the Godin. I found it difficult to play the Takamine and did not play it very much. The rationale I am using is that I won't improve unless I keep practicing and keep up my enthusiasm. If I am uncomforable with the instrument I have or don't like the sound, what good is it to have it? If pain keeps you from playing, you must find a solution even if it might appear to be lame.

Larry

Return to “Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists”