Gitano support review

Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists, Aches and Pains, Injuries, etc...
flat3rd

Re: Gitano support review

Post by flat3rd » Sun Oct 12, 2008 12:16 am

I've never had any trouble with my leg falling asleep with any of the supports I've had. The ergo play is a bit heavier, but in talking with my teacher who uses one in practice and in performance he hasn't seem to have had much trouble with it...
Sean, are you a native of Owensboro? My wife is from Murray and I'm from Lexington. Good to see another Kentuckian on the board... :)

wbajzek

Post by wbajzek » Sun Oct 12, 2008 6:10 am

Sean wrote:Any problems with a leg 'falling asleep?'
Only when playing with a footstool.

Emil Krasich

Post by Emil Krasich » Tue Oct 14, 2008 5:55 pm

How much neck motion do you get using one? Looking at the design, I'd wager a decent amount.

flat3rd

Post by flat3rd » Tue Oct 14, 2008 7:01 pm

Emilio_K wrote:How much neck motion do you get using one? Looking at the design, I'd wager a decent amount.
Once I got my angle right regarding how the support lay across my leg and used the shelf liner as suggested before I don't get that much neck movement. At least for me it's not that much more than the footstool. The comfort alone is worth that, and the ability for me to practice for longer stretches.

Olarte

Post by Olarte » Tue Oct 14, 2008 7:06 pm

I made yet another modification... took the shelf liner off as it was still a bit too slippery when my knew was pointing down a bit due to the height of a chair. I then used Friction tape (used on stairs to avoid slipping) and taped it to the felt itself.

The Friction tape works a lot better.. although I suppose it could do a number of delicate clothes, and on the guitar if you fold the Gitano with the tape facing out. I now make it a point to fold the felt\friction tape inside the gitano when putting the guitar away.

Sean

Post by Sean » Sat Oct 18, 2008 2:18 am

flat3rd wrote:I've never had any trouble with my leg falling asleep with any of the supports I've had. The ergo play is a bit heavier, but in talking with my teacher who uses one in practice and in performance he hasn't seem to have had much trouble with it...
Sean, are you a native of Owensboro? My wife is from Murray and I'm from Lexington. Good to see another Kentuckian on the board... :)
Yup, I was born in this small town. Lived and worked in the same small town. Probably die in the small town . . .

Just call me the Kentucky hick, although there are a few other Kentuckians around - Redneckrondo is in Bowling Green (probably attending the worst university in the world, WKU) and 57Facets in Lew-vul.

flat3rd

Post by flat3rd » Sat Oct 18, 2008 5:20 pm

Awesome! Love the Cougar reference, btw. We're in Reston, Va now, just outside of dc, but I totally miss it. Did you study with anyone out there?

gordl

Post by gordl » Sat Dec 06, 2008 2:36 pm

Hi

I've been using the gitano support for about 2 months now and have found it absolutely wonderful. Whenever I've tried using a foot stand / stool I'd always get a pain in my lower back, not with the gitano.

It does move on me a bit and I was wondering if anyone had tried one of those cushion - type supports - are they worth checking out ?

THanks

Steven_Morgan

Post by Steven_Morgan » Sat Dec 06, 2008 2:46 pm

I've had a Gitano for a few months now. I guess I'm so used to having my knee on a footstool, that I just feel weird without it. Having said that, I think the Gitano is an improvement on the A-frame.
I think the size of a persons leg may have something to do with it not feeling secure to some people? Also the fact that it isn't on a knee - that immediately feels less secure to me.

I'm going to keep it around though, maybe I'll use it more in the future.

S.Morgan

Steven_Morgan

Post by Steven_Morgan » Sat Dec 06, 2008 2:50 pm

One more thought on the Gitano. I did have it pop off my guitar once while practicing. What if that had happened in the middle of a performance?! I don't think I'd ever use something with suction cups during a public performance. The dynarette cushion might be a better choice... pricey though. Has anyone used the cushion?

S.Morgan

wbajzek

Post by wbajzek » Sat Dec 06, 2008 3:51 pm

I've used both in concert with no problems, except the dynarette can sometimes make creaking sounds if I move the guitar.

jjbaribeau

Post by jjbaribeau » Sun Jun 07, 2009 8:36 pm

I have found that a drop of olive oil on the suction cups keeps it in place and does not affect the french polish finish.
Regards,
Jean

Steve Kutzer

Post by Steve Kutzer » Sun Jun 07, 2009 11:26 pm

olarte wrote:
oski79 wrote:I really like the Gitano. My issue with it is the suction cups. I can't get them to stay on for more than about 15-20 minutes. Often in the middle of a piece I'll hear and feel one or both release, then the stability is gone. What am I doing wrong here? Do you moisten them or put them on dry?
Hi Oski79... that's strange... on mine they seem to stay on forever... once in a while one will come off.. but for the most part, once I put them on, they stay on even folding the support, and putting the guitar away in the case every night.
Same for me. I even hang my guitar in my office with the gitano attached, and it stays on. The only time it pops off is if I put a lot of downward pressure on the guitar, which I don't suppose I should be doing anyway!
See my technology (and guitar!) site CIO Dojo

Bonita

Post by Bonita » Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:03 am

Hello all.

This is a most educational thread and I appreciate all the comments.

In Canada, in Toronto, the gitano is not available except by mail order. There is one store in Toronto that carries the dynarette. For all who use the dynarette, does it have a surface that the guitar will slip off of? How bulky is it? Will it fit in a compartment in a soft case?

Currently I am using a footstool, at a low position as I am rather short. I was using a piece of rubber shelf liner on my left leg, and after reading this thread, tried another piece on my right leg. After adjusting, this arrangement has a pretty secure feel.

I do want to go the both feet on the ground route, but I am not really content with the engineering of the supports currently out there.

oski79

Post by oski79 » Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:25 am

Hi guitarwoman...

This thread is now about a year old. In the mean time, I found the Tenuto support, available from a dealer in Montreal. It's like the Gitano, but has four suction cups, and feels a bit sturdier and stays on somewhat better. I use it about half the time--I still use a footstool the rest of the time.

Cheers,

oski79
“People may say I can’t sing, but no one can ever say I didn’t sing.” --Florence Foster Jenkins

Return to “Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists”